The Library

Wow this seems like a new forum?

My favourite place to visit is the library :)

Aside from working in one, I actually do borrow books when I'm not working. I'm always reading lol

Usually I'm looking at the books, not going there for meeting people. I know some people do, but I usually pick up my reserves, and then scan the shelves for anything appealing. My favourite sections are the 920s, 220s, 635s, and the withdrawn books trolley.

In church, I'll just be looking at any books I hadn't read yet!

'

Libraries are a favorite of mine as well even when I'm traveling. Libraries is one of the few reasons I love to live close to a large city. The key word being close. :)

I also talked my wife into visiting the New York Public Library that was a real treat. That particular year we were in New York City in January and it was very cold out probably around 15 degrees Fahrenheit. It was nice to get into a warm space, but even nicer to see the great many stacks of books. I could have spent hours browsing, but with my wife and mother I settled for about an hour's wander through the Library.

I've ventured to college libraries and always enjoy looking at church libraries as well.

cp

I agree. I can appreciate a good library. When I was in high school we would have assignments that required us to do research from the main library in the city.. it had multiple floors, and a hotel attached. We would have to sort through the microfiche to find information... it was pretty fun.

I would love to visit a huge, fancy library with all the cool woodwork, high ceilings, and big windows, like in the movies!

And I could spend hours in a good book store!

Sometimes I ask God to show me some good books and He just directs me to the exact ones He wants me to read. I don't know the author or title, I don't even know what it will be about until I read it, and it will be just something He wants me to read at the time.

I'm surprised I didn't share this in The Library.

Years ago even with the latest computers, one of my professors encouraged his students to go often to the library when studying, research or writing a paper. It is nice to study outside the home.

What’s a library?

I would like to visit the congress library of Washington. USA..

it looks incredible

Hi crossnote and Via;

Aside from the Library of Congress in Washington DC, USA.

220px-Library_of_Congress_in_Capitol_Building.jpg

Library of the Congress 1890

We plan to visit the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, CA early next year.
240px-View_of_the_Reagan_Library_from_the_south.jpg

Ronald Reagan Presidential Library 1991

To me when one sees all those books and memorabilia you can feel the rich history.

Hey Via;

The Library is open today. They are still counting all the books since 1890 but they are almost finished.
😎 👍
seriously?

I know that the library has a many books, and that's why I thought it would be an interesting visit....but still counting all the books must be quite phenomenal.

I wonder how many copies of the bible they hold?

I was stocktaking in my library last week...
Nearly finished. Just got the books in the cupboard to go...got about 7200 copies of books.

I imagine that the Library of Congress takes a couple of weeks to do an entire stocktake of their books which run into the millions.

I read off the screen these days. Books are heavy and take up lots of space....only special/rare books stay.

Hey crossnote, no doubt at one time you and I may have had a huge collection of hard and paperback books.

Today I also keep only important text books and translations of the Bible in one small bookcase.

In a humorous comedy situation on the TV show Seinfeld, Jerry said to George, "once you finished reading the book, why do you want to keep it? You're done with it."

But that was back in the late 80s - mid 90s. In these times many of us keep our books electronically in a tablet, cell phone or computer.

Personally, back in the 1990s - 2005, I used to keep an insane amount of paperwork - budget, finances, school papers, etc...but now I keep my paper files on my computer.

But today when I walk into our local library, I'm still amazed at all the history and authors. The inventory seems to go and on.

You take or donate the book to the library...its ok we can handle the care and issuing of books so you don't have to.
And yes lots of books are heavy but we have trolleys to transport them from room to room, and special stacks that can roll into each other to store them.
Archives are kept separately in controlled conditions and sorted. In case historians ever want to mine them for primary sources for their books.

I was reading this novel called 'The Lions of 5th Avenue' which is set in the New York City Public Library. Apparently, in the early 1910s, a superintendant and his family lived IN the library to look after the building and all the books at night. They had their own apartment inside the library. How cool is that to live inside a library?

Back