The Measure Of Faith, What Is It?

Romans 12:3 We are not to think more highly than we ought, but soberly according as God has dealt to every man the "measure of faith"....

Rom 12:6
Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith;

do you remember Jesus parable of the talents ???
to some he gives more ..
and the one that does not use the measure of faith given them, it is taken away from ..

God gives to all depending on our ability .. and we all have different functions, so what you are given is not what is important, but IF you are a good steward and INVEST that measure of faith given you is ..

Last edited:
So, Since we all are given a task to perform in this life, and these gifts are given according to his grace which also requires faith to operate them. The faith given is equal to the task given by grace. We could say that the key needed to access this grace given is faith.

Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Since we are saved by grace through faith, but to access this salvation by grace, faith is the key that gives us access to our salvation.
Not only is faith the key to access salvation, but also the task given us by God to fulfill our calling. The proportion of faith, and the measure of faith would not be the same as the measure of faith is connected to the thinking process, and the proportion of faith is for accessing the grace in which we fulfill our calling. Thinking, and understanding is by faith, so also is in our ministry calling. I myself do not believe that faith grows from one state to another. I believe faith grows in quantity, but not quality. It spreads from one area to others, but does not increase from a weak state to a stronger state.
If this is true than the measure of faith would not be a slice of a whole faith, but an instrument used for measuring things for comprehension purposes. We are to think according to the measure of faith.

Last edited:
While studying faith, and I began to see somethings that I never considered before. We just assume that the Lord automatically knows every thing with out doing anything. But here is a scripture that tells us other wise.

Isa 40:10 Behold, the Lord GOD will come with strong hand, and his arm shall rule for him: behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him.
Isa 40:11 He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.
Isa 40:12 Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted out heaven with the span, and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?

The Lord God uses a method into which he is able to comprehend things by measuring them. Measuring things is not just for checking their length, and width or height, but also for weighing them so as to get an understanding. The Lord used these tools when he created the worlds. If the Lord uses these tools, then we need to learn how to use them also. Jesus was a carpenter and I am sure he used many hand tools that he must have looked at, and thought how crude these are, but useful. When the Apostle John was describing the Heaven city in the book of Revelations, he could have said, "Wow, this city is really big" but that would not give us an accurate picture of how big it actually was. My idea of big would be different than yours. The only way to make sure we both knew it's size would be by measuring it. As the Angel who was with him had a golden measuring rod to do just that. The city was 1,500 mile long, 1,500 mile wide, and 1,500 mile high. That is one huge city!!! We do not even have satellites that circle the earth that high, they usually fly at about 350 miles high. The measure of faith is a tool used for getting an understanding that can not be recieved any other way. Our ability to comprehend the greatness of our God can only be understood after we measure the breadth, and length, and depth, and height of the love of God which is way beyond attaining by any other methods except by the measure of faith.

Eph 3:18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
Eph 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

While studying faith, and I began to see somethings that I never considered before. We just assume that the Lord automatically knows every thing with out doing anything. But here is a scripture that tells us other wise.

Isa 40:10 Behold, the Lord GOD will come with strong hand, and his arm shall rule for him: behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him.
Isa 40:11 He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.
Isa 40:12 Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted out heaven with the span, and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?

The Lord God uses a method into which he is able to comprehend things by measuring them. Measuring things is not just for checking their length, and width or height, but also for weighing them so as to get an understanding. The Lord used these tools when he created the worlds. If the Lord uses these tools, then we need to learn how to use them also. Jesus was a carpenter and I am sure he used many hand tools that he must have looked at, and thought how crude these are, but useful. When the Apostle John was describing the Heaven city in the book of Revelations, he could have said, "Wow, this city is really big" but that would not give us an accurate picture of how big it actually was. My idea of big would be different than yours. The only way to make sure we both knew it's size would be by measuring it. As the Angel who was with him had a golden measuring rod to do just that. The city was 1,500 mile long, 1,500 mile wide, and 1,500 mile high. That is one huge city!!! We do not even have satellites that circle the earth that high, they usually fly at about 350 miles high. The measure of faith is a tool used for getting an understanding that can not be recieved any other way. Our ability to comprehend the greatness of our God can only be understood after we measure the breadth, and length, and depth, and height of the love of God which is way beyond attaining by any other methods except by the measure of faith.

Eph 3:18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
Eph 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Interesting, connecting Ephesians to Revelation…

What I find interesting also or that strengthens the correlation is
  • that it mentioned a common thing: "together with all the Lord’s holy people" is similar to "with its worshipper"…
What I found interesting also is the first mention(?) of the measurement rod is in Revelation 11, and it’s long read to Revelation 21 when it mentioned again the measurement rod…

Ephesians 3:14-19
New International Version (NIV)
A Prayer for the Ephesians
14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family[a] in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Revelation 11:1
The Two Witnesses
11 I was given a reed like a measuring rod and was told, “Go and measure the temple of God and the altar, with its worshipers.

Revelation 21:15-21
15 The angel who talked with me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city, its gates and its walls. 16 The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide. He measured the city with the rod and found it to be 12,000 stadia[a] in length, and as wide and high as it is long. 17 The angel measured the wall using human measurement, and it was 144 cubits[b] thick.[c] 18 The wall was made of jasper, and the city of pure gold, as pure as glass. 19 The foundations of the city walls were decorated with every kind of precious stone. The first foundation was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, 20 the fifth onyx, the sixth ruby, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth turquoise, the eleventh jacinth, and the twelfth amethyst.[d] 21 The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of gold, as pure as transparent glass.

Last edited:
Interesting, connecting Ephesians to Revelation…

What I find interesting also or that strengthens the correlation is
  • that it mentioned a common thing: "together with all the Lord’s holy people" is similar to "with its worshipper"…
What I found interesting also is the first mention(?) of the measurement rod is in Revelation 11, and it’s long read to Revelation 21 when it mentioned again the measurement rod…

Ephesians 3:14-19
A Prayer for the Ephesians
14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family[a] in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Revelation 11:1
The Two Witnesses
11 I was given a reed like a measuring rod and was told, “Go and measure the temple of God and the altar, with its worshipers.

Revelation 21:15-21
15 The angel who talked with me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city, its gates and its walls. 16 The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide. He measured the city with the rod and found it to be 12,000 stadia[a] in length, and as wide and high as it is long. 17 The angel measured the wall using human measurement, and it was 144 cubits[b] thick.[c] 18 The wall was made of jasper, and the city of pure gold, as pure as glass. 19 The foundations of the city walls were decorated with every kind of precious stone. The first foundation was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, 20 the fifth onyx, the sixth ruby, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth turquoise, the eleventh jacinth, and the twelfth amethyst.[d] 21 The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of gold, as pure as transparent glass.

I did not see Revelations 11 before. Good find there. The measure of faith is really something that allows all of God's saints to be on the same page, and together be able to understand the greatness of our Lord and saviour. The "measure" really means "measuring rod" and it should come under the heading of " the law of faith" Faith would not just be believing but seeing, hearing, measuring, and weighing things that gives us comprehension.

I guess it only appropriate I invest my measure of Faith which God gives to me ..
today's lesson He gave me was on this verse and the meaning of it ..

Jhn 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

KJV ..

This shows the plurality of God ..

Isa 41:23 Shew the things that are to come hereafter, that we may know that ye are gods: yea, do good, or do evil, that we may be dismayed, and behold it together.

note: the translator should have made it "Gods" not "gods" since they are addressing "God" ..

Jhn 10:30 I and my Father are one.

note: here Jesus claims to be "God" ..

Jhn 10:31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.

Jhn 10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

Jhn 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
Jhn 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

note: here Jesus draws it to their attention that even scripture (Issiah) says God is plural ..
note: here again the translator should have made it "Gods" not "gods" since it is about "God" ..

so in both cases, the translator by making it a little "g" lost the context of first Issiah's then Jesus' conversation on whom it was referring to ..
as they didn't grasp that God's plurality was being addressed ..

BTW: so Mormon doctrine was created by the translators lack of understanding and writing "gods" by not being able to follow the context ..

Last edited:
I guess it only appropriate I invest my measure of Faith which God gives to me ..
today's lesson He gave me was on this verse and the meaning of it ..

When Jesus was quoting the Old Testament, he was speaking that those who were put in places of authority were standing in place of God himself since their decrees came by the Word of God. Not that they were God or gods, but only representing him.

Psa 82:6 I said, You are gods [since you judge on My behalf, as My representatives]; indeed, all of you are children of the Most High. [John 10:34-36; Rom. 13:1, 2.] (AMP)

1Co 8:4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
1Co 8:5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
1Co 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. (AMP)

Rom 13:1 LET EVERY person be loyally subject to the governing (civil) authorities. For there is no authority except from God [by His permission, His sanction], and those that exist do so by God's appointment. [Prov. 8:15.] (AMP)

Pro 8:15 By me kings reign and rulers decree justice. [Dan. 2:21; Rom. 13:1.]

The Lord does give authority on earth so to stop the spread of evil on planet earth. This authority is found only in positions in which God has set up. People do not have this authority on their own. It does not belong to them as it is only in the office that contains it. Once that person leaves that office the authority leaves that person, because the authority was never in the person but the office in which he held. There is only one God not many as some might believe to be.

Back