The Nature of Sin and Hatred (Post Location Changed)

I wasn't sure where to put this thread. And it made me concerned I may be too self-obsessed for this forum. And not lifting others up enough. I feel like I need to explore my own thoughts whether they be positive or not. in fact a number of my threads are more blog style than anything. Is that a problem?
I was thinking today about the nature of sin. I know when I get caught up in hatred, contempt for others and their world view, it becomes a kind of downward spiral.
In Buddhism there are realms of Hell. I guess the lowest is when we act on hatred. We stop taking responsibility for our behaviour. We say anything spiteful or mean or even become violent. I haven't got there yet in case you are wondering. :)
I wonder for you people versed well in the Bible, are there realms of Hell mentioned there?
But anyway, there are levels of hatred. From mild dislike to monster-like hostility. How aware are we, when we get caught up in the vortex ? Very little. And it sucks you up like a vacuum cleaner. Like a lascivious leviathan. Satan takes over and you start to feel like Saint Paul says "why do I do the things I hate?" Self-alienated. You become a shell walking around, wondering when the next rage is about to take hold.
I see some value in what I am doing now. Because if I can describe sin in more detail, what it feels like, how it grips you, I can understand it better. And if I understand it better, I can take steps to prevent it. In addition, I might be able to have compassion for other sinners and help them. I might have been suited to becoming a counsellor but alas that career has passed me by. I am but a sad school janitor. Mostly grumpy and over reflective. :)

I wasn't sure where to put this thread. And it made me concerned I may be too self-obsessed for this forum
Absolutely not. You are welcome here. We all have our trials and problems that we must deal with, and we are here to grow and learn together.
You seem to already have quite a good grasp on identifying the traps, and also a focus and direction to overcome them. This is not only good for you, but helpful for all of us.

I feel like I need to explore my own thoughts whether they be positive or not.
That's a good thing, and something that we are supposed to be watchful about. We are not only told we should do this, but we are told how. :)

[2Co 10:5 KJV] 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

[Pro 16:3 KJV] 3 Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.

[Psa 139:23-24 KJV] 23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 24 And see if [there be any] wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

[Phl 4:8 KJV] 8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.

[Phl 4:6-7 KJV] 6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

I was thinking today about the nature of sin. I know when I get caught up in hatred, contempt for others and their world view, it becomes a kind of downward spiral.
In Buddhism there are realms of Hell. I guess the lowest is when we act on hatred. We stop taking responsibility for our behaviour. We say anything spiteful or mean or even become violent. I haven't got there yet in case you are wondering
For myself, anger / hate worked like a defense. It allowed me to keep myself distanced from others, so as to feel like I had the control, and not allow myself to feel hurt by others. It was my weapon of choice. And the more you feed it, the stronger it gets.. but I wasn't really in control at all... the anger, hate, and resentment was. And not only did it serve as a "defense" against being hurt... it also kept me isolated from truly feeling any love. And that's not good. You can't know love without being vulnerable to pain, hurt, disappointment, etc.
It took me over 20 years to work through it all. In the end, I had to forgive.. let go of the hate, and find compassion. It was not easy.

I know once you make it through this, your testimony will be amazing... and your experience from it will be a light to help and guide others.

So post away! Don't ever feel like your thoughts are unwanted or unwelcome here.
(Although it's possible that there could be a moderator edit from time to time... it happens!!)

Stay strong & God bless!

It allowed me to keep myself distanced from others, so as to feel like I had the control, and not allow myself to feel hurt by others. It was my weapon of choice. And the more you feed it, the stronger it gets.. but I wasn't really in control at all...
That's a good insight and an important one. I was almost thinking that very same thing the other day. The illusion of control. And distancing yourself so no one sees your vulnerability. because most of us fear that exposure. Exposure of seeing the weak fearful child underneath. Yet that is why we are children of God I guess. God loves that frightened little child.

What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Takes those thoughts captive to Christ. One thing thats helpful is a prayer journal. Write To God and let Him speak to you

What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Takes those thoughts captive to Christ. One thing thats helpful is a prayer journal. Write To God and let Him speak to you
Do you mind if i start one here? on this forum? Or do I look like a Pharisee trying to appear holy and self important?

It took me over 20 years to work through it all. In the end, I had to forgive.. let go of the hate, and find compassion. It was not easy.
20 years is a long time. Not sure I have that long. :) But short cuts don't work. Patience and waiting for God's grace might be the key. Keeping my mind open. Being mindful of my bad habits of over-reacting. Christian mindfulness.

Do you mind if i start one here? on this forum? Or do I look like a Pharisee trying to appear holy and self important?
justanothersinner I think something like that would be helpful. As for doing it on here, as long as the rules are respected, and you don't mind comments / discussion on your posts... then I don't see any issues. (I can ask the Mod team to be certain, & let you know.)

Maybe try the prayer forum. Ive put some quite personal prayers there. When I felt I needed prayers of my brothers and sisters too. I dont think this CFS staff mind if you just stick to your own threads and not jump in other peoples unless you praying for them too.

STAFF NOTE - We are moving this thread into the "Praise Reports and Testimonial" posting area where your personal project can also be started. We are leaving a location re-direct in the General area so the new location can be found easily. Please refrain from graphic personal details and please follow Forum Rules while posting. Good luck with your idea.

And ive noticed over the last 3 years I have got into politics. Before I didn't care much. But what I think politics can do to you, is compartmentalise your thinking. polarise your thinking. They might call it dualistic thinking. "we are the good guys and they are the evil ones." You stop doubting yourself and just look for reasons to confirm that you are on the side of benevolence and those others are delusional. It can happen in religion too and Christian denoms as well. "Im Catholic. I own the truth." What a dangerous step. When you think you are superior to others because you have found "the truth".
But I was mainly referring to politics. The left dont like the right and vice versa. I spent time on Twitter. Lots of time. As I gradually got swept up in the emotions of winning the so called debate. When it was just a "insult someone before they insult you." game What a joke. It is more than childish to spend time there. It warps your emotions and your thinking. You find your own echo chamber, your community that agrees with you. You support each other in hating other groups. They should call Twitter, "The Hate Swamp". that's what it is. it breeds contempt and narrow mindedness. Stubborn bigoted (though I don't like the word) thinking. Listening is a weakness. Wavering is a weakness. Things move so quickly it is insidious. Evil seeps in gradually until you are swimming in it. Insult here. insult there. Who cares, right? Its all a game. Do unto others before they do unto you.
But it is better to stop complaining about Twitter. just leave.

Last edited:
So with the stain of Twitter on my soul I ventured into an debate/argument with one of my brothers. Before I even started I had a prejudice towards him. I knew his politics. I knew his stance. It didn't matter what he said. I had already made up my mind what he was going to say. In fact some of his opinions were quite a surprise. I justified to myself that he was just faking it. I was waiting for his dismissives. They came but more shrewdly, more well-thought out than me. I had not forgotten how he treated me several years before. He had almost hit me in a car he was driving when I couldn't operate his phone for him. He has probably forgotten that incident. There were other incidents but that one stuck. It is funny how others describe such incidents and they might seem petty to me. But to the person telling the story they are so prominent in their mind.
So forgiveness is the challenge. the challenge for all of us. "Go on just forgive him".. Well actually its not that easy . it takes time. I just hope it doesn't take 20 years.

That's a good insight and an important one. I was almost thinking that very same thing the other day. The illusion of control. And distancing yourself so no one sees your vulnerability. because most of us fear that exposure. Exposure of seeing the weak fearful child underneath. Yet that is why we are children of God I guess. God loves that frightened little child.

While that may be true, and I completely agree with you, I would also say that God loves those who "take a stand".

Romans 1:66-17...…….
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes … For in it the righteousness of God is revealed”.

IMO, we must be people of endurance in the face of criticism or any form of persecution. If we do not exhibit godly courage to stand strong in the faith, we cannot overcome Satan’s seducing spirit that grips the world. The Bible says:

1 Tim. 4:1-2, & 6...…….
“Now the Spirit [of God] expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared. … If you instruct the brethren in these things, you will be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished in the words of faith and of the good doctrine”.

So forgiveness is the challenge. the challenge for all of us. "Go on just forgive him".. Well actually its not that easy . it takes time. I just hope it doesn't take 20 years.

One of my favorite topic: FORGIVENESS :)

It is more than a challenge, it is a command.
And as usual of God’s command: it is the most reasonable thing to do and self-improving thing to do.
MORE SO,,, it is EVEN a PREREQUISITE

MT 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
MT 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
MT 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Medicine/Science is catching up: Forgiveness is good for the health.
Holding a grudge: "may not weigh only on your mind but also upon your physical person"
Letting it go: not it only it goes lighter, one can do more, productive things.
“Our research shows that forgivers perceive a less daunting world, and perform better on challenging physical tasks.”

https://www.medicaldaily.com/how-fo...wrongdoers-can-expand-physical-fitness-316902

Last edited:
Hate. Im reading biographies of former politicians. how they get drawn into the cancer of hatred. Not only towards other parties but especially amongst themselves. Factions . Petty rivalries. Back-stabbing. Scandals. So much bitterness. I wonder if a former politician has ever written an autobiography which didn't have any tones of bitterness.
But the rest of us play out little dramas in workplaces. Not as public as the politicians. But very prominent in our minds. because it is our life, our dramas. It is much easier to read about someone else's drama than to deal with our own real life ones.
If I reflect back to my decade in my twenties. I was less hateful. Just as sensitive but simply suppressed any feelings of humiliation or embarrassment . In that regard, I did not inflame the situation by reacting. These days I am more likely to react. When you are young, you have less time to reflect. You need to get on with the business of ambitions and dreams. When you get to my age, (61) the future is much shorter than the past. Its hard not to analyse how you got where you are right now. In my case, a failed career as a teacher. I couldn't handle it. I was and am still too touchy. Too self-conscious and too anxious. Small things to others are big things to me. Ive lost touch with the younger generation anyway. I never had kids to keep me grounded and attuned to changes in society. I lost passion for teaching if I had any in the first place. I look back to some of the lessons I taught as an elementary school teacher. Absolute chaos. No idea. I improved little but most of the time I was going home with my mind racing, dry mouth, frazzled, frustrated and depressed. If there were no vacations I would have ended up in a mental health facility. When I am really stressed, I don't even make sense to myself. I am person easily stressed. Thank God for my wife of 28 years. She has a cooler head and lots of commonsense which I find elusive often.
So I really need to monitor my mental health these days . Especially in regard to my misanthropic tendencies. Maybe I am going through a late puberty? :) I was not the typical angst ridden rebellious teenager. A very conservative teenager. Possibly better for people to get rid of that during teenage years. (poor High School Teachers)
I can kid myself that by joining this forum I am somehow delivered from sin. No way! Sin lurks constantly. That is why we need to repent daily. Or even more. What's that prayer ? Non-ceasing prayer. Has that worked for some of you?

I wonder if a former politician has ever written an autobiography which didn't have any tones of bitterness.
Maybe Jimmy Carter?
It is much easier to read about someone else's drama than to deal with our own real life ones.
... and that's why trash tv is so popular... - we can criticize others, & feel like we're not nearly as messed up as someone else, so it pampers our ego.
Sin lurks constantly. That is why we need to repent daily. Or even more. What's that prayer ? Non-ceasing prayer. Has that worked for some of you?
Amen! Yes, it is.
-and yes, it works.

[1 Thessalonians 5:16-24 KJV]
16 Rejoice evermore. 17 Pray without ceasing. 18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 19 Quench not the Spirit. 20 Despise not prophesyings. 21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [I pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful [is] he that calleth you, who also will do [it].

[Isaiah 55:10-11 KJV]
10 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: 11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper [in the thing] whereto I sent it.

[Matthew 6:9-13 KJV]
9 After this manner therefore pray ye:
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

--

[Psalm 23:1-6 KJV] 1 [[A Psalm of David.]]
The LORD [is] my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou [art] with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Non-ceasing prayer.
Ya know.. if you think about it in a certain way...

-Every time we admire the beauty of a sunrise or sunset, we are seeing the wonder and awe of a beautiful work of God. We may say to ourself, "oh that's an awesome sunrise"...

-or look at our husband/wife/child/parent, and think "oh, I love this person so much, and are glad he or she is in my life".

-Or someone helps us out during a hardship, and we think, "wow, I'm so glad there are still good, decent, caring people in the world"

-Or any number of countless thoughts...

Nothing is stopping us from continuing that line of thought and adding a bit to it... to acknowledge God's blessings and wonders..

* "oh that's an awesome sunrise... thank you God for such beauty, and eyes to behold it, new and amazing each new day!"

*"oh, I love this person so much, and are glad he or she is in my life... thank you God"

*"wow, I'm so glad there are still good, decent, caring people in the world... thank you God for allowing your love to shine through others."

We do take notice of God's countless blessings every day. And every time we appreciate or notice something- He knows. He knows what we think, feel, appreciate... and also what we take for granted.

We should all try to add God into our thoughts... all the time...
In all things, acknowledge Him :)

Letter from Hell
Hi guys. this is my first letter from here.
Turns out I got eternal life and imprisonment in Hell on judgement Day. God was going to overlook some of my sins because he said my sense of humour was at least original if a little eccentric. But in the end, those sins I never repented properly, stuck with me. And here I am.
Air con doesn't work here and man, is it hot! Id say 50 degrees centrigrade but I think they use a different scale here. People here are really annoying but I suspect they might say the same thing about me. Whoever made that saying "Hell is other people" is right on the money. There is one guy here who keeps brushing his teeth at midnight. I can hear him easily cause I live next door. Walls here are quite thin but made of unflammable stuff naturally. The place I live in is like a disco inferno without the disco.
How's Heaven? Well imagine that is where you would be. You always were better at loving others than I was. I bet you have ice cream. That is what I really miss. Funny how you miss the little things. Only hot food here. I liked it at first but by the third day, I was hanging out for something cold. Id give my right little finger for a frozen strawberry yoghurt!!
But Im toughening up gradually. My goal here is to find a nice person to talk to. haven't found one yet. They are all so grumpy and complaining how God was too mean to them. I feel the same but I have this tiny glimmer of hope. that God will change his mind and cancel the "eternal hell and damnation" part.
Hope my letter wasn't too sad....look forward to hearing from you....
JAS (Just Another Sinner)

Back