The olive trees

Thinking lately on the Mount of Olives, and olive trees

In the Bible, Luke 22:37 tells us
And in the daytime he was teaching in the temple, and at night he went out, and abode in the mount that is called the mount of Olives.

Also known as the garden of gesthemane, I havent been to Jerusalem or its environs but we do know from the gospels that Jesus went there often to pray, and even sleep there. You can go there today and see for yourself olive trees still growing there.

Significantly, olive trees live for a very long time, even thousands of years and still bear fruit. They are even mentioned in the book of .revelation as the two witnesses. See Revelation 11:3-4

book of .romans also likens Israel to a wild olive tree thats been grafted.

What other instances of olive trees do you find in the Bible. JEsus presched his most famous sermon on the Mount, and his warning to his dsiciples is often called 'the olivet discourse'.

One of my favorites is in the Old Testament from Genesis 8:11-12 (NLT): "This time the dove returned to him in the evening with a fresh olive leaf in its beak. Then Noah knew that the floodwaters were almost gone. 12 He waited another seven days and then released the dove again. This time it did not come back. "

This was the sign that Noah had been waiting for - he knew that the earth had been cleansed and a new beginning was about to take place.

psalm 52:8

BUt as for me I am like the green olive tree, flourishing in the house of God. I trust in the lovingkindness of God forever and ever.

Wait a minute, theres an olive tree flourishing in the house of God? How do trees grow inside a house?? Thing is Jesus often slept in the garden of gesthemane which was in the mount of Olives. It was his safe abode. When he wasnt in the boat. Jesus could sleep anywhere, but his favourite place it seems, was in the garden, under the olive trees. Jesus was crucificed on the mount of olives, was resurrected, and ascended from the mount of olives too.

Revelation chapter 22 tells us inside the new Jerusalem is not a temple building, but right in the centre is the tree of life. It has 12 manner of fruits and yields her fruit every month, and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of nations. Everyone who enters will have the right to the tree of life.

What is this tree of life? I think or have a hunch it may be an olive. Although I have not heard of a tree that has 12 manner of fruits, every single month but it is possible to graft trees to bear different fruits on one rootstock. Why 12. Possibly one for each tribe?

This is an interesting thread. I read this and my first reply was I LOVE OLIVE OIL. I am not sure about the Olive tree, but now I am very interested in knowing more history. You bring up a great thought / topic, Lanolin. Pastor Gary, I plan on reading that article tonight. Thanks for sharing.

Many Christians are unaware of the "Anointing" process using Olive Oil. This next link*** below describes the process. Christ's name in Greek (Christos or Χριστός) actually means "The Anointed One".

Note: ***Any links presented are for informational purposes only. The staff at CFS does not endorse or recommend any advertising that may be associated with these links.***

https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/anointing/

I sometimes refer to the study, in the link below, for details on why the Olive Tree is so important in Christianity.

https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/encyclopedia-of-the-bible/Olive-Olive-Tree
Was reading this study and found it funny that it says westerners dont think the olive tree is beautiful?

Maybe this is true, because I had two church members who you could say are 'western' and they didnt like olive trees, one said it was a nuisance and grew too big, and the other said it dropped too many leaves and made a mess.

But I think its beautiful.
Its evergreen, has fruits, smooth bark, has interesting character in its trunk, grows well in poor soil, has small leaves that are grey green, gives us oil, whats not to love about the olive tree? A tree is supposed to grow tall. A tree does drop leaves at times, thats the nature of a tree! What do they expect? But then I find it weird how westerners put up a pine tree at christmas and go crazy over them. Christmas trees arent particularly beautiful trees.

In the Old Testament Book of Hosea, God is speaking to the persons of Israel about repentance and about doing what is right. We must remember that this Book was written in ancient Hebrew and 'describes' some things in parables - teaching by comparison and observation that the people of the day might be familiar with in their daily lives. An example of this is found in Hosea 14:5-7 (NLT):

"5 I will be to Israel
like a refreshing dew from heaven.
Israel will blossom like the lily;
it will send roots deep into the soil
like the cedars in Lebanon.
6 Its branches will spread out like beautiful olive trees,
as fragrant as the cedars of Lebanon.
7 My people will again live under my shade.
They will flourish like grain and blossom like grapevines.
They will be as fragrant as the wines of Lebanon. "

We see that God is saying that His love will cover and protect Israel, as if He was an Olive Tree and Israel were gathered under His shade.

We also see in Hosea 14 verse 8 (NLT), that God compares Himself to an evergreen tree that is always present, always green and is the source of knowledge about everything good:

8 O Israel, stay away from idols!
I am the one who answers your prayers and cares for you.
I am like a tree that is always green;
all your fruit comes from me.”

So, we can see that the Olive and Evergreen trees are used in parable form to tell all of Israel that God is the Way, God is the Truth and God is the Answer.

Was reading this study and found it funny that it says westerners dont think the olive tree is beautiful?

Maybe this is true, because I had two church members who you could say are 'western' and they didnt like olive trees, one said it was a nuisance and grew too big, and the other said it dropped too many leaves and made a mess.

But I think its beautiful.
Its evergreen, has fruits, smooth bark, has interesting character in its trunk, grows well in poor soil, has small leaves that are grey green, gives us oil, whats not to love about the olive tree? A tree is supposed to grow tall. A tree does drop leaves at times, thats the nature of a tree! What do they expect? But then I find it weird how westerners put up a pine tree at christmas and go crazy over them. Christmas trees arent particularly beautiful trees.

Olive Trees are beautiful. Have noticed how their trunks / roots are intertwined and beautiful as the tree grows and gets older? It's a tree with a lot of character and beauty. I love trees, though, even though I am allergic to most of them. lol

In the Old Testament Book of Hosea, God is speaking to the persons of Israel about repentance and about doing what is right. We must remember that this Book was written in ancient Hebrew and 'describes' some things in parables - teaching by comparison and observation that the people of the day might be familiar with in their daily lives. An example of this is found in Hosea 14:5-7 (NLT):

"5 I will be to Israel
like a refreshing dew from heaven.
Israel will blossom like the lily;
it will send roots deep into the soil
like the cedars in Lebanon.
6 Its branches will spread out like beautiful olive trees,
as fragrant as the cedars of Lebanon.
7 My people will again live under my shade.
They will flourish like grain and blossom like grapevines.
They will be as fragrant as the wines of Lebanon. "

We see that God is saying that His love will cover and protect Israel, as if He was an Olive Tree and Israel were gathered under His shade.

We also see in Hosea 14 verse 8 (NLT), that God compares Himself to an evergreen tree that is always present, always green and is the source of knowledge about everything good:

8 O Israel, stay away from idols!
I am the one who answers your prayers and cares for you.
I am like a tree that is always green;
all your fruit comes from me.”

So, we can see that the Olive and Evergreen trees are used in parable form to tell all of Israel that God is the Way, God is the Truth and God is the Answer.

Beautiful.

Yea the trunks are amazing. My one was leaning over its still a sapling but have staked it and dad pushed it back upright. If its planted in an exposed place, it will lean or bend from the wind as quite flexible.

Some pine trees have the same quality and you can shape them like bonsai. The wood is very useful for timber but the only thing with a pine tree is you cant eat its fruit. Or only the pine nuts..which are the seeds of certain kinds. Pine oil is also a good essential oil, can be used for cleaning but not as essential as olive oil, which can be used for many purposes, for cooking, for fuel, as a cosmetic, for anointing. Also olive leaf extract has health properties. And of course you can eat the fruit, when its pickled.

The tree of life that appears in the Book of Revelation has a curious quality aside from it having 12 manner of fruits, it mentions its on BOTH sides of a river of the water of life. I wonder how that happens? Or does it mean there are two trees on either side but they are somehow one?

Yea the trunks are amazing. My one was leaning over its still a sapling but have staked it and dad pushed it back upright. If its planted in an exposed place, it will lean or bend from the wind as quite flexible.

Some pine trees have the same quality and you can shape them like bonsai. The wood is very useful for timber but the only thing with a pine tree is you cant eat its fruit. Or only the pine nuts..which are the seeds of certain kinds. Pine oil is also a good essential oil, can be used for cleaning but not as essential as olive oil, which can be used for many purposes, for cooking, for fuel, as a cosmetic, for anointing. Also olive leaf extract has health properties. And of course you can eat the fruit, when its pickled.

The tree of life that appears in the Book of Revelation has a curious quality aside from it having 12 manner of fruits, it mentions its on BOTH sides of a river of the water of life. I wonder how that happens? Or does it mean there are two trees on either side but they are somehow one?

I do like to clean with pine oil. It's a wonderful natural cleaner. I also clean my fine with cold pressed finely refined Avocado oil. It works better than any cleanser and then leaves your face very soft. It also helps with lines, scars and brown spots. I love it and it's better than so many expensive products that are full of chemicals.

Since you brought up all of this on the olive trees I have been curious about a few things so I am looking into the tree a bit more. I have some things made of olive oil that my son bought me a few years ago for my birthday. I love all of that stuff. The tree is very interesting though spiritually. I have heard sermons and lessons on the olive tree in comparison to Christ. It's all extremely interesting to me.

I've got an olive skincare range and its really nice. Hand lotion, body lotion and oil.

I love essential oils too, use them in the bath. There is a special anointing oil the priests used back in the old testament its listed somewhere in the Bible what the ingredients are.

The interesting thing is olive is an anagram of I love.

I dont know if thats significant just like earth is an anagram of heart?!

I imagine the two olive trees in revelation that are the witnesses are joined in some way, perhaps the river flows underneath the trunk in the last chapter of revelation. The river near the garden of gesthemene is the Kidron river.
Its said the olive trees in that garden have been dated to over 2000 years old, the roots may be even older.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gethsemane

I was thinking on how flexible Olive trees are.
Its very windy outside and my olive tree just bends but never snaps. Next doors pine tree was much bigger and harder and a storm came and broke the branch which fell on top of their house. They had to repair their roof.

Back