The Poor in Spirit

Cosia

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Exec. Secretary
Mattew 5:3 NKJV
"Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
I want to study the beatitudes in depth. I'm stuck already. I have always thought this verse meant the poor in Spirit meant the humble people.
Some people say it means the weak in faith. I still believe it means the humble.
But what do you believe it to be?

I want to study the beatitudes in depth. I'm stuck already. I have always thought this verse meant the poor in Spirit meant the humble people.
Some people say it means the weak in faith. I still believe it means the humble.
I believe the Beatitudes are describing the reactions of mature believers (the fruit of the Spirit Gal 5:22-23).
So meekness (controlled strength) would fit the bill. Nice question.

Last edited:
I believe the Beatitudes are describing the reactions of mature believers (the fruit of the Spirit).
So meekness (controlled strength) would fit the bill. Nice question.
Hi crossnote
Thank you for your reply.
The only reason I didn't think it meant meekness was that the meek are mentioned in one of the other beatitudes. But I guess humility and meekness go hand in hand?

Hi crossnote
Thank you for your reply.
The only reason I didn't think it meant meekness was that the meek are mentioned in one of the other beatitudes. But I guess humility and meekness go hand in hand?
Yes it would be hard to slice and dice the fruit of the Spirit up into theological exactness. My stress would be on the reactions of a mature believer to various circumstances.

Glad to hear you are stuck, I think that is a good start.
I understand it is like any scripture - we can't bring it to pass we just need to receive it.
We can't make ourself humble...
I enjoy reading some of your stuff.

The Spirit helps us to see how poor we are. Even if we have many physical things when we realize through the Spirit that these things are meaningless and see the deep need for God in our lives, we become poor in spirit. Not something that comes naturally, but is a gift of God as we mature in this way of life. This is how I see see it.

The Greek word translated poor can be found here on blueletterbible.org :
Greek word defined

Basically it means to be reduced to begging, to be lowly, helpless, destitute. In Spirit when we begin to realize our great need for God in our lives, realize our serious shortcomings, realize how much we have to learn, realize how much we have brought harm to others around us and otherwise are awakened to our lowly state in this flesh, it is then that we become poor in spirit.

I get it now ,- I think. Something like we have to realise how destitute we are in our spirit. The link crossnote gave describes it as beggar.
I love you brothers and sisters here. ❤️
Thank you

Glad to hear you are stuck, I think that is a good start.
I understand it is like any scripture - we can't bring it to pass we just need to receive it.
We can't make ourself humble...
I enjoy reading some of your stuff.

We love you too, sister;
Thank you for sharing The Poor In Spirit with everyone.

Hello 2404;
We also enjoy reading your posts out there on the boards.
God bless
you and your family, brother.

I think it means 'poor' as in not rich.
'in spirit' means that they won't be blessed materially of course, but blessed 'in spirit'.
The meaning is probably clearer in the orginal greek, the english translation is a bit out of order.
I don't think it literally means 'weak in faith' but its tempting to think it encompasses that idea although that kinda contradicts with the rest of scripture that says without faith it is impossible to please God. Though then again you only need faith the size of a mustard seed..so its not like you need a huge amount.
Jesus didn't say blessed are the doubters. Or blessed are the rich did he?

Hi Lanolin
I can see where you are coming from in seeing that it means poor in material things. I am used to that :lol
With scripture saying in Spirit i'm thinking it means how we realise our weaknesses, so that we are able to fight them. Also how we desperately need God's help.
It's good to see how we all see these scriptures differently.
God Bless Lanolin

Thinking about Cosias questions...

Isn’t poor in spirit related to repentance?
If we are poor in spirit then we need to repent right?

Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand
matt4:17

Then, as we forgive, we are ushered into the Kingdom.

Mature believers, please correct/ or further point out things as needed.

Last edited:

Hey Via;

That is a great question and will give one way of answering.

Christians who are poor in spirit acknowledge their own need for God.

Suppose I did not handle my conduct with another and cursed them instead of being patient, then ignored my behavior. At some point it weighs heavy on me, my spiritual poverty will lead me to repent and seek the Lord's forgiveness as well as the other I cursed.

God bless you, Via, and your family.

Well....I believe that Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount was not telling His disciples HOW to become citizens of the kingdom of heaven "They already were citizens of the kingdom"!!

Christians today are actually very poor in spirit because we are spiritually bankrupt...BUT we have something to give whicch is more valuable that gold.

2 Corth. 6:10 says..........
"As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things."

I think it is connected to repentance, in the way that you acknowledge your sins (and how unworthy we are) and confess and repent.

I think it is connected to repentance, in the way that you acknowledge your sins (and how unworthy we are) and confess and repent.
Yes, trying to separate others/our selves from the sin is quite a difficult task.
It sometimes seems easier to just let the devil win. No wonder it was a stairway to heaven,....
It’s always harder going upstairs than down lol

Well....I believe that Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount was not telling His disciples HOW to become citizens of the kingdom of heaven "They already were citizens of the kingdom"!!

Christians today are actually very poor in spirit because we are spiritually bankrupt...BUT we have something to give whicch is more valuable that gold.

2 Corth. 6:10 says..........
"As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things."
I wondered what Jesus was really on about when he was on that mount.
I kept thinking...
“ well it’s no good saying that to me coz I ain’t even saved yet”

so it’s like what the spiritual teachers mean when they say
“ your already enlightened you just don’t know it yet!”

that used to really annoy me but I eventually realised it’s a good thing, as it inspires hope faith and revelation.

Back