The Question That Demands An Answer.

The Question That Demands An Answer.

Jesus asked His disciples, "Who do people say that I am?" The disciples had heard the opinions of the people. Some of the people thought that He was one the prophets, others thought that He was John the Baptist come back to life. None of the people said that Jesus was the Messiah. Then Jesus put the question to the disciples. "And you, who do you say that I am?"

This is the same question that Jesus asks today. The answer to this question is important. The answer should be given with care and great thought. The reason that the question needs to be carefully considered is because eternity rests on the answer. This is a question that cannot be ignored. All of us are confronted by it. All of us must answer it. Jesus asks
the question that demands an answer.

WHO IS THIS JESUS?

This is the qeustion that many people have asked throughout the centuries. many people today still debate over the question of who Jesus is. There are many different opinions among scholars and ordinary people about the person of Jesus Christ. The media and Hollywood wrestle over who Jesus is. Many television programs, many articles and books have been devoted to the topic. Many movies and documentaries have been produced about Jesus. Yet, these people still ask, "Who is Jesus?"

There those who have asked, "Did Jesus really exist? Was He the Son of God?" There are those who believe that Jesus was nothing more then just a mere man. They refuse to believe that Jesus is God. It just does not make sense to them.

What does the ordinary person think of Jesus? Who do they say that He is? If you were to go into the streets and interview people, you'd get different answers. Some would see Jesus as one of many holy men. Some would say that Jesus was a teacher, who taugth people how to live. There would be those who confess Him to be their Savior. There would be quite a few who could care less about Jesus, or wouldn't have a opinion about Him. No matter what people might think, the question is still there. It is a question that will either have to be answered here or in eternity. It is the question that demands an answer.

There are those who are opposed to Jesus. Some of these people called themselves Bible scholars. They claim that they are trying to remove all the "Myths" about Jesus in the Bible. They question the statements made by Jesus, and even the miracles of Jesus. They claim that they want to get to the "real" Jesus. Then there is the media and Hollywood. They offer their own opinions about Jesus. Most in these fields, try to show that Jesus was just a mere man. There are those in the entertainment world that think little of Jesus. He is often lampooned in jokes and in televion, or in movies. No matter what they might think or say, they too, must answer the question. Consider the answer, for life in eternity depends on it.

THE CLEAR WITNESS OF THE SCRIPTURES AND THE CHURCH

It is absolutely amazing that people still ask who Jesus is. They are looking elsewhere, then to the source that tells them who Jesus is. If anyone wants to know who Jesus is, all they need to do is read the Word of God.

The Bible is not just a mere book. It was written by God, through the inspiration of the holy writers. The Bible points to Jesus Christ as God in the flesh, and Savior of the world. From the book of Genesis to the book of Revelations, the entire Bible points to Christ. Jesus said, "You search the Scriptures, for in them you think have eternal life; and these are they which testify of me." (John 5:39) The Scriptures have the answer to the question.

After Jesus had asked the disciples the question, Peter was moved by the Holy Spirit to give the answer. He said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God." The Church is built upon this confession. It is the "rock" upon which it stands. The Church proclaims to the world who Jesus Christ. Since the time of the Blessed Apostles to now, the Church proclaims Christ.

Dr. Martin Luther, in his Small Cathechism, wrote some profound words about who Jesus Christ is. He wrote the following.

I believe that Jesus Christ is true God, begotten of the Father from all eternity, and also true man, born of the virgin Mary; and that He is my Lord. Who has redeemed me, a lost and condemned creature. purchased and won me from all sins, from death and the power of the devil; not with gold or silver, but with His holy, precious blood, and with His innocent, suffering and death; in order that I might be His own, live under Him in His Kingdom in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness; even as he is risen from the dead, lives and reigns to all eternity. This is most certainly true.
-The Small Catechsim. The Second Article on the Apostle's Creed.

The Church confesses Jesus Christ to the world, and proclaims Him to be Lord and Savior. The Church points to the Scriptures, and says that if you want to know who Jesus is, then read His Word. It through the Word, that the Spirit calls people to faith, and creates faith in their hearts. He strengthens that faith and keeps believers in Jesus Christ. Through faith, born of the Holy Spirit, the believer can answer the question. Because he knows who Jesus is.

THE QUESTION STILL NEEDS TO BE ANSWERED

The question still demands an answer. This is not a multiple choice question. It is a direct question, that demands a direct answer. It is a question that must be thought out before being answered,

"Who do you say that I am?" Many still wrestle with this question. The answers will be different. But the question that Jesus asks has only one answer. But for those who believe, the answer is quite simple. Those who trust and believe can with faith say, "You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God. You are my Lord, and my Savior."

Back