The resurrection of Jesus

Much debate has been bantered back and forth about what day Jesus died in order to satisfy the "three days and three nights in the heart of the earth" statement in Matt. 12:40. Let me hear your thoughts on this.

I dont dispute what scripture says. But I think it may confuse some people.
It was the day after passover that he was crucified, and he rose on the day after the sabbath. As far as I understand it.

Actually, He was crucified and died on the day of Passover but you are correct, he was raised on the first day of the week according to Marks's gospel. How then is this three days and three nights.

He died on the day of passover? But didnt he eat the passover with his disciples or do you eat it the night before the actual day. Sorry am confused. I supposed that makes sense though because back in exodus, they had to eat, place the blood of the lamb on the doorposts then the angel passed over their dwellings the next day.

The Passover began at sunset which marked the beginning of Jewish day. The Passover would end at the following sunset. Jesus ate the Passover with is disciples at the beginning of the Passover and then spent the night praying in the Garden. He was arrested at about 2:00 in the morning and spent the rest of the Passover is a series of trials and was crucified and buried before the close of the Passover.

Did it, no wonder I'm a bit out, I thought the day started when the sun rose.
I means thats logical to think that. The night starts when the sun sets.

Right?

So when does the night start, at noon? And the jewish night at sunrise?

I must live on another planet, not just down under. Where I come from, the day starts when the sun rises and ends when it sets. The night starts when the sunsets and ends when the sun rises.

Funny.

Just to add some info, here are some commonly accepted definitions:

"A DAY" - "a period of twenty-four hours as a unit of time, reckoned from one midnight to the next, corresponding to a rotation of the earth on its axis."

"DAY TIME" - "the time of the day between sunrise and sunset; the time of light."

"NIGHT TIME" - "the time between evening and morning; the time of darkness."

As explained by Rabbi M. Lamm at an info website (aish.com), "The Jewish day does not begin and end at midnight as does the secular calendar day. Midnight is not a distinguishable astronomic event. In the era before the modern clock, a specific hour of the night could not be precisely known, whereas an hour of the day was easily determined by sighting the location of the sun. Thus, the day had to begin by precise, simple and universally recognized standards. This meant that the day had to be reckoned either from the beginning of night or the beginning of day.
In Jewish time, the day begins with the onset of night (the appearance of the stars) followed by the morning (which technically begins with the appearance of the North Star). According to some Jewish teachers, night and morning begin with sunset and sunrise respectively. For that is how the Torah describes it: "And there was evening and there was morning, the first day."

Much debate has been bantered back and forth about what day Jesus died in order to satisfy the "three days and three nights in the heart of the earth" statement in Matt. 12:40. Let me hear your thoughts on this.

I certainly understand the point you are making. I hope you take this the way I mean to say it in my heart, and I would only say to all of you that personally I do not care about 6 PM or midnight or Passover or morning or anything else.!!!!

All I know is that HE DID!

Jesus died on the cross, was buried and rose from the dead three days later and He did that for ME!

I certainly understand the point you are making. I hope you take this the way I mean to say it in my heart, and I would only say to all of you that personally I do not care about 6 PM or midnight or Passover or morning or anything else.!!!!
All I know is that HE DID! Jesus died on the cross, was buried and rose from the dead three days later and He did that for ME!

Well said, Major.

If this was so crucial wouldn't the Scriptures have indicated that? Or, is there a deeper reading of the Resurrection that we are overlooking?

God bless you and your family.

Well said, Major.

If this was so crucial wouldn't the Scriptures have indicated that? Or, is there a deeper reading of the Resurrection that we are overlooking?

God bless you and your family.

Absolutely my brother!

Titues 3:0......….
"
But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless."

Matthew 6:25...........
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?

And of course, blessing to you as well my brother!

We really do not know precisely when Jesus rose. We only know that he rose sometime around sunrise or before on the first day of the week accorcing to Luke. To me, this issue is not so much when he was raised but when he was crucified and buried. Many contend he was crucifed on either Wednesday or Thursday and had to remain in the tomb for a full three days and three nights. The problem with this theory is that it does not follow the pattern of the three feast - Passover, Unleavened bread, and Firstfruits. These feast days established a pattern of time in which everything had to take place.

Oh well the jewish calendar did not have those days. They didnt name them friday saturday sunday. They just called them by number. And they had different names for months too, and they went by the moon.

I think if you trying to put them to the gregorian calendar its like putting a square peg in a round hole, it wont fit.

It is difficult to discuss this because so many people have been taught so many things that are not in the bible, and they feel that their cherished beliefs are being attacked when someone tries to correct them. For instance, a lot of people think Jesus rose on Sunday morning and the bible does not say any such thing. The bible does say the soldiers were going to break legs so the victims would die and be taken down before the sabbath, and that means sundown. But then they assume the sabbath was what we call Saturday, and it was not; it was the passover, which took precedence over the regular weekly sabbath.

So Jesus died about sundown and the empty grave was discovered Sunday morning. Obviously he rose Saturday about sundown. Count back three days and three nights and you get Wednesday about sundown. The passover was on a Thursday that year. The bible mentions "day of preparation", remember? There is no day of preparation for Saturday.

The reason this topic is confusing is that people have made up a bunch of confusion about it. The bible is simple.

Back