Things you were taught that weren't doctrinally sound?

kdm1984

Account Closed
I mentioned in the thread about my upbringing that my family taught some of the most important and "big picture" things correctly -- they taught that Jesus was the Only Way to salvation, that being loving is important, and such, but that they got a number of doctrines wrong.

What were some things you were taught that weren't doctrinally sound?

These were the biggest errors I was taught:

1) That people can be saved after they die.

My dad didn't actually get this from Mormon or Catholic doctrine -- he was raised Episcopalian, and he and my mom liked to study the Bible on their own rather than attend church, so they came up with a lot of theology almost entirely on their own, especially after they left WELS in 1993-94. My dad came to this conclusion based on an out of context reading of 1 Peter 3:19.

2) That hell isn't eternal.

My dad did believe in hell, but he didn't think it was eternal. He came to this conclusion based on his own human reasoning as well as an out of context reading of Revelation 20. He said that people commit only a finite number of sins, so they wouldn't be punished eternally. And he thought that day and night torment in Revelation 20 meant hell was temporary, and that the lake of fire being destroyed meant that hell was temporary.

3) That I should never judge.

My dad was big on being loving and not judgmental. When I had concerns about people committing sins, he told me I shouldn't be judgmental. I think he had a hard time separating judging actions from judging people's eternal salvation, or lack thereof. When Jesus said not to judge, He never meant that we shouldn't judge actions. If we couldn't judge right from wrong, how could we ever know what sin is?

4) That premarital sex is fine.

My dad thought that as long as a couple loved each other, and as long as it wasn't homosexual, sex was fine. He didn't think couples had to be married. I've read that 9 out of 10 Americans have sex before marriage, so this is apparently a VERY common belief, including among many who label themselves "conservative"

5) That the world would end in 2008.

He thought the world would end in 2008 because he thought Israel's 1948 nationhood was the generation that wouldn't pass, and reasoned that a Biblical generation was 60 years. I don't know how he came to that conclusion, but my brother and I were taught in the 1990s that 2008 would be the end, and we were given preparations for how to deal with that. When I spoke to my dad a few years ago, he thought maybe the 70 week prophecy in Daniel meant the world would actually end in 2018 (with his belief in the possibility that weeks actually meant months), but that he no longer was very particular about establishing years. Well, the world didn't end in 2008 or 2018, so I'm glad about that! The reason he and my mom were so into trying to predict the year was because Jesus said we couldn't know the day or hour, which they took very literally to mean that we could POSSIBLY learn the year or month if they did enough number-figuring of Bible verses. They thought only the day or hour was impossible to predict, but that the month and year could be.

Hello kdm1984;

It's amazing how you remember these points of your Dad and Mom's beliefs. I can understand how it stuck with you growing up.

I also have a couple of memories of my own Mom and Dad's belief about God.

1. Mom once told me when I was a child that if those of us who die and go to hell, we will be redeemed by the Dove who comes down every long period of time to take a grain from a mountain of salt. Once the mountain of salt is depleted the sinner is released from hell.

2. Dad said that his grandfather and grandmother (my great grandparents) were buddhists. He argued that they are in heaven with God because they were very good people.

We were a church going family. My parents believed in Christ, were moral and exemplified a good foundation in the home but they never discipled or attended any kind of Bible study or Sunday school. Still, they raised their children to attend children's Sunday school and later youth group.

Mom went to be with the Lord in February 2003. Dad will be 87 on July 6th.

God bless you, kdm1984, and thank you for sharing.

i take it you know the truth.. we have some this around here
Look around. It's everywhere. It is everyone's responsibility to be a Berean with scripture. It's the Holy Spirits job to convict as well not a mere individual. If people have an issue is better to be as Matthew stated - "But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every fact may be confirmed." [Matthew 18:16] We are held accountable not only with each other but to God. Nothing is gotten away with with God. That's the most important thing. He knows the hearts. I always say if someone doesn't agree then maybe find their own camp that does. False doctrines are in thay category - I was raised in false occultic doctrine. Sometimes I see things watered down, or not taken to the tenth degree of how the scriptures speak to me. That's not my job nor my duty [if others don't agree]. I need to ensure I am walking upright before the Lord and disciple my children to do the same. If others are open and willing to understand [having a teachable spirit] if not - God speed and I pray for them.

you shall knw the truth and the truth shall set you free. three truths that = one the word Jesus and the spirit all 3of these are in your/ our heart.

i pretty much knows whats false and what is not. many will say the others doctrine is false. while that may be true in some instances . something off the wall personally i cant accept the apostolic teaching baptized in Jesus name for the remission of sins. i have yet to find in scripture water is = to saving grace . the J.W Mormons and catholic they teach on purgatory .

if you have any kind of word in you /us. then we should be able to discern so as we are not blinded by the god of this world.

our real problem is what

Hosea 4:1-7

King James Version

4 Hear the word of the Lord, ye children of Israel: for the Lord hath a controversy ( type judgement a problem with) with the inhabitants of the land, because there is no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of God in the land.
2 By swearing, and lying, and killing, and stealing, and committing adultery, they break out, and blood toucheth blood.
3 Therefore shall the land mourn, and every one that dwelleth therein shall languish, with the beasts of the field, and with the fowls of heaven; yea, the fishes of the sea also shall be taken away.
4 Yet let no man strive, nor reprove another: for thy people are as they that strive with the priest.
5 Therefore shalt thou fall in the day, and the prophet also shall fall with thee in the night, and I will destroy thy mother.
6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
7 As they were increased, so they sinned against me: therefore will I change their glory into shame.

Back