Thread Title...is It Even Biblical To Pray For A Person’s Salvation?

I would like to start a new thread based on this article. The original can be found at:

http://biblehelp.org/prayperson.htm
(Use by permission of author)

Is it even Biblical to Pray for a Person’s Salvation?

Recently, someone told me that it is not Biblical to pray for someone’s salvation. He said that the Bible instructs us to pray for more laborers, but it never instructs us to pray for the salvation of specific individuals. This got me curious, so I started taking a closer look at this subject. When I asked others about their thoughts, I got responses ranging from, “Yes, of course. God desires that we intervene on the behalf of others,” all the way to, “Definitely no; what ARROGANCE!!!!”

The Bible, of course, has to be our final authority. So, what does it say? …

[NOTE: I did not include the rest of the article because of its length. It is, however, very important to read the rest of the article to understand the discussion being made on this thread. The article can be found at: http://biblehelp.org/prayperson.htm ]

Without bothering to read most of the article, I could ask a comparable question "is it Biblical to feed the poor and comfort the sick?"

We are asked to do whatever is necessary to help bring all to Christ, and that very much includes praying for them.
I would question the faith and sanity of anyone who thought that we should not pray for our fellow man.

James 5:16,19,20
"Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much....
My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins."

You don't need scripture, just common sense. Praying for others salvation should be in our nature. We need to worry if we don't feel compelled to pray for others to see the light. However, we have to remember that God is trying His best every second of everyday to draw all unto Him. Hence taking our kids to church is better then praying for them.

I realize this may open up a whole new can of worms, but this article is based upon the idea that eternal salvation is all the work of man. We can pray for the salvation of others because salvation is God's work. Jonah lived through his experience and the Whale Belly Bible Institute. In the end, he learned, "Salvation is of the Lord." Acts 13:48 makes it clear that those who were "ordained to eternal life believed." If salvation is all up to man--as many believe--what good does prayer do at all? Salvation is not Ivory Soap 99.44% the work of God; it is 100% the work of God.

When Lot and his family were rescued from Sodom, Abraham had prayed for that salvation. There is an obscure verse that tells when Lot was rescued, "God remembered Abraham" (Gen. 19:29). It can be said that Lot and his family were rescued because of the prayers of Abraham.

I realize this may open up a whole new can of worms, but this article is based upon the idea that eternal salvation is all the work of man. We can pray for the salvation of others because salvation is God's work. Jonah lived through his experience and the Whale Belly Bible Institute. In the end, he learned, "Salvation is of the Lord." Acts 13:48 makes it clear that those who were "ordained to eternal life believed." If salvation is all up to man--as many believe--what good does prayer do at all? Salvation is not Ivory Soap 99.44% the work of God; it is 100% the work of God.

God's grace is offered to all - it is we that accept or tragically, reject. Isn't praying one of the most powerful tools God gives us to (what's the word?) progress his work and will? Many years ago, they did research at a hospital, to see if prayer helped better than not being prayed for. I'm sure everyone is aware of the result.

When Lot and his family were rescued from Sodom, Abraham had prayed for that salvation. There is an obscure verse that tells when Lot was rescued, "God remembered Abraham" (Gen. 19:29). It can be said that Lot and his family were rescued because of the prayers of Abraham.

I haven't bothered to look at the link provided as the premise is faulty so no doubt the link would contain inaccurate details. All anyone has to do is read Romans 10:1; Brothers and sisters, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved.

Back