Tired of boomers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry I don't wish to seem negative, but something really bothers me that I want to get off my chest.

The baby boomer generation.
This is the generation that happened post-war and they got all the benefits of growing up, with plenty of affordable housing, good jobs, no over crowding (cos half the land was emptied out from those killed by the war) cheaper modern conveniences, credit cards, free education, government subsidies and pensions. In my country the government pledge to look after this generation from cradle to grave.

And they have.
But the next generation coming after them will NOT have this. This is so called Generation x where there are no good steady jobs, unaffordable housing (because baby boomers are not passing them on to the next generation, but selling them for lifestyle reasons and profit), over crowding (because they want to get foreign workers in to build up the population), expensive modern conveniences that grow obsolete with each passing year to replaced with new ones, credit crunches, student loans (a year of tertiary education costs at least $10,000) cutting benefits for unemployed and widowed/solo parents, and no pensions but compulsory savings, which you need a job for in the first place.

Now I am ok facing reality that the government isn't willing to look after the next generation the way they did for their own baby boomers. But what irks me is that they then COMPLAIN about the younger generation who don't have any of these social or welfare benefits and claim the baby boomers actually did it all by themselves, and then start implying they were better people. Well no, your generation had HELP. Heaps of it!

Anyway, thats all. Well maybe not quite

As for steady jobs thing, that really is a joke. I once asked my boss if in my job, my employer would think of providing health insurance or dental care. She laughed at me!

jobs are opening up with benefits. at my job if i refer someone and they are hired i get 500.00 and so do they after 90 days what kind work do you do ? times change from one generation to the next. some good some not?

I am sorry I don't wish to seem negative, but something really bothers me that I want to get off my chest.
The baby boomer generation.
This is the generation that happened post-war and they got all the benefits of growing up, with plenty of affordable housing, good jobs, no over crowding (cos half the land was emptied out from those killed by the war) cheaper modern conveniences, credit cards, free education, government subsidies and pensions. In my country the government pledge to look after this generation from cradle to grave.

Hi Lanolin;

You touched on a topic that I have always been interested in discussing and that's the four generations and One church.

I grew up nearing the end of the boomers and there is some truth in what you are sharing.

After WWII everyone came home from the war and started having families and a boom of children were born in the USA and around most parts of the world. New Zealand's boomers increased during the mid 1940s, at a rate of 4 children per family in the 1960s and through the 1970s.
Boomers were the most educated generation in US history and the world during their time. The economy was hot, money was strong and technology was at a growing pace. In the 1950s television was the "computer" in 30 - 46 million homes by 1960.

A high school education was acceptable in landing a good job, but the step to college led to a future career.

Boomers developed a sense of well-awareness, civil rights became a growing issue, boomers had a hard time with long-term relationships with family because they had grown so independent.

Boomers lost trust in authority and to be honest, boomers struggled with the church and their faith until 1969 when the faith took a turn for the better. Perhaps some of our members at Christian Forum Site can share their struggles with Christ in exchange for the samples of the world.

Today the Boomers are our seniors - ages 60 - 85+. Many of us are retired, living on our pensions that were grandfathered, when we worked our paychecks went further, many could purchase and manage their dream home and help others in ministry.

But I feel the older generation didn't plan and prepare enough for the Busters, Bridgers and Generation x's (those born in 1966 on to adulthood.

God bless you, Lanolin, and your family.

Anyone else?

Hey crossnote;

I'm don't understand the 'OK Boomer' victim hood stuff. Please explain.

Thanks!
'ok boomer' is the expression ok, boomer you had your time, move over and let us have our turn.
Victimhood is the game played where one group blames another for not being fairly treated. It usually manifests itself in rich/poor, white/black relationships.

Ok, I'm a "boomer" 1960. My time is not up and I have earned every single "thing" I have, with no government subsidized anything (I still have student loans).

Here is the problem with Gen x: "(because baby boomers are not passing them on to the next generation, but selling them for lifestyle reasons and profit)." My parents passed on the family name and that's about all they had to pass on.

Everyone I supervise is a Gen x and pretty much they perform at a level where it is clear that they think someone owes them everything.

My folks get off at 3pm. If the world came to an end at 3:01pm, they would not know until the next work day. Last week we had a significant HR change in policy that was published at around 4pm on a Friday. I mean significant as it comes (return of all personnel to the physical work environment and making masks optional on Monday). I sent all of them an e-mail with the details and, come Monday morning, most had no idea of the changes and only one actually showed up at the office. When asked, the general response was: "I get off at 3pm and don't check e-mails on my time off." I have been on vacation all week; however, I still took the time to attend my regular daily 10am phone conference and have responded to at least 10 e-mails.

Boomers got what they got because they worked for it and, as is my case, still are. My son is 33. He has two masters' degrees, is about to finish his PhD, will close on his second home this coming week, and makes around $180k as a data scientist. He too earned everything on his own. He might not have had the same opportunities I did, but he did have opportunities of his own.

Every generation has opportunities, they are just different opportunities. At the risk of sounding a bit harsh, I say that if a Gen x is having problems "making it," he/she would have had the same problems as a Boomer.

Every generation has opportunities, they are just different opportunities
That’s what I believe also.
I grew up gen x and my parents were boomers. We wasn’t rich but we was happy. My parents couldn’t afford holidays abroad, eating out was unheard of. They also stuck to one job, one that was given to them, not something they chose. No university for them, none of my friends parents either…but today’s young generation can do all those things much easier and get to choose a career and travel all over the world.

I don't think holidays abroad are even part of the equation, I am talking about a decent standard of living where you have a roof over your head (that's not going to leak) and is dry and don't have to deal with the crap and pollution that the older generation have bequeathed us.

the young generation aren't even complaining about eating out or not eating out. We don't even care about that! We don't care about making lots of money so we can do those things which are entirely selfish things only baby boomers seem to care about.

We care about the environment and whats happening to our water, or children, or planet. You know IMPORTANT stuff that affects our health and wellbeing.
We don't even really care about travelling all over the world or going to university. We only go because there aren't many well paid professional jobs you can get without a university or tertiary degree. its the older generation who are the ones complaining about stuff that means absolutely nothing to the younger generation and then saying the younger ones are complaining. Talk about gaslighting!

Ok, I'm a "boomer" 1960. My time is not up and I have earned every single "thing" I have, with no government subsidized anything (I still have student loans).

Here is the problem with Gen x: "(because baby boomers are not passing them on to the next generation, but selling them for lifestyle reasons and profit)." My parents passed on the family name and that's about all they had to pass on.

Everyone I supervise is a Gen x and pretty much they perform at a level where it is clear that they think someone owes them everything.

My folks get off at 3pm. If the world came to an end at 3:01pm, they would not know until the next work day. Last week we had a significant HR change in policy that was published at around 4pm on a Friday. I mean significant as it comes (return of all personnel to the physical work environment and making masks optional on Monday). I sent all of them an e-mail with the details and, come Monday morning, most had no idea of the changes and only one actually showed up at the office. When asked, the general response was: "I get off at 3pm and don't check e-mails on my time off." I have been on vacation all week; however, I still took the time to attend my regular daily 10am phone conference and have responded to at least 10 e-mails.

Boomers got what they got because they worked for it and, as is my case, still are. My son is 33. He has two masters' degrees, is about to finish his PhD, will close on his second home this coming week, and makes around $180k as a data scientist. He too earned everything on his own. He might not have had the same opportunities I did, but he did have opportunities of his own.

Every generation has opportunities, they are just different opportunities. At the risk of sounding a bit harsh, I say that if a Gen x is having problems "making it," he/she would have had the same problems as a Boomer.
really, did you go to a private school.
Did you pay for your hot water and roads. And rubbish collecting. And parks. Did you ever use a public library or a public toilet. Are you on the grid. Do you use petrol. Do you only use private hospitals. Or did you fund all the infrastructure that has helped you?

Did you win that land you have in an auction or was it a land ballot. Or was it originally someone else's land. How much exactly was housing when you could make a deposit? Did the bank loan you money for it? Or did you require 3 incomes to break even and neglect your children to pay that mortgage? And what will you do with it afterwards, or when the land runs out will the next generation want to steals someone else's land..? Think about it.

I don't think boomers have the 'same problems' as xers. The xers will inherit even worse problems than what the boomers had, because their lifestyle is so unsustainable, and they will eventually have to emigrate because there really won't be any land left thats affordable to live on. Every generation reaches a certain point where they just can't live where they are anymore and there are no more opportunities. They will have to start from scratch. I know that previous generations, the govt actually PAID people to emigrate, and they also PAID people to go into the military. The govt can also reassign land use at the stroke of a pen.

I am happy to say I have not earned every single 'thing' I have. This is a boomer mindset that is so frustrating and because they totally miss out on what God wants them to have. Next thing you know, they will claim they earned their salvation and saved themselves as well! And then totally not thank God for ANY of it.

I am only here by God's grace and what He chooses to bless me with and that I am thankful. I did not make the clothes I wear. I did not build the house I live in. I did not make the car that I drive, and I was not the first owner. This computer I am typing on was not made by me.

Hi Lanolin;

You touched on a topic that I have always been interested in discussing and that's the four generations and One church.

I grew up nearing the end of the boomers and there is some truth in what you are sharing.

After WWII everyone came home from the war and started having families and a boom of children were born in the USA and around most parts of the world. New Zealand's boomers increased during the mid 1940s, at a rate of 4 children per family in the 1960s and through the 1970s.
Boomers were the most educated generation in US history and the world during their time. The economy was hot, money was strong and technology was at a growing pace. In the 1950s television was the "computer" in 30 - 46 million homes by 1960.

A high school education was acceptable in landing a good job, but the step to college led to a future career.

Boomers developed a sense of well-awareness, civil rights became a growing issue, boomers had a hard time with long-term relationships with family because they had grown so independent.

Boomers lost trust in authority and to be honest, boomers struggled with the church and their faith until 1969 when the faith took a turn for the better. Perhaps some of our members at Christian Forum Site can share their struggles with Christ in exchange for the samples of the world.

Today the Boomers are our seniors - ages 60 - 85+. Many of us are retired, living on our pensions that were grandfathered, when we worked our paychecks went further, many could purchase and manage their dream home and help others in ministry.

But I feel the older generation didn't plan and prepare enough for the Busters, Bridgers and Generation x's (those born in 1966 on to adulthood.

God bless you, Lanolin, and your family.

Anyone else?
thanks for response Bobinfaith.
I do think that boomer generation was very self-absorbed and not aware that their expectations for future generations was going to be unrealistic. Because many are retiring, they are all getting new homes with the amount of construction going on for retirement villages (a huge crane has gone up in the main streets in my town, advertising luxury apartments, that only baby boomers are allowed to live in and can afford)
At the same time, housing for new families is also going up, but it's not luxury at all, it's cheap and nasty apartments with zero backyard space, more like container boxes, that will fall apart in a couple of years. The living space is going to be very crowded for those few families that can afford the cheap apartments.

And also at the same time, anybody who wants a bigger place to raise a family, will have to move somewhere else to do it, maybe another town even, because the larger sections that already have houses on them that could be handed to them, that have beautiful old trees and space to run around and gardens are being bulldozed and totally destroyed for the cheap and nasty apartment blocks.

?? So I don't understand this. Suburbia, it seemed was only really a big baby booming farm. Now, it seems the next generation is going to be raised like pigs in a factory farm or hens in battery cages.

That’s what I believe also.
I grew up gen x and my parents were boomers. We wasn’t rich but we was happy. My parents couldn’t afford holidays abroad, eating out was unheard of. They also stuck to one job, one that was given to them, not something they chose. No university for them, none of my friends parents either…but today’s young generation can do all those things much easier and get to choose a career and travel all over the world.
We came to the US in 1964 with literally nothing. but the cloths on our backs. I say this, because when we left Cuba, they even took a dime I had in my pocket. They even took our birth certificates. My parents struggled almost every day of their lives. On occasions, dinner for us was a piece of bread with sugar. I did not have my own bedroom, until I became an adult and could afford my own apartment. Despite all of this, it was still a good time and we were happy.

Rtm

really, did you go to a private school.
Did you pay for your hot water and roads. And rubbish collecting. And parks. Did you ever use a public library or a public toilet. Are you on the grid. Do you use petrol. Do you only use private hospitals. Or did you fund all the infrastructure that has helped you?

Did you win that land you have in an auction or was it a land ballot. Or was it originally someone else's land. How much exactly was housing when you could make a deposit? Did the bank loan you money for it? Or did you require 3 incomes to break even and neglect your children to pay that mortgage? And what will you do with it afterwards, or when the land runs out will the next generation want to steals someone else's land..? Think about it.

I don't think boomers have the 'same problems' as xers. The xers will inherit even worse problems than what the boomers had, because their lifestyle is so unsustainable, and they will eventually have to emigrate because there really won't be any land left thats affordable to live on. Every generation reaches a certain point where they just can't live where they are anymore and there are no more opportunities. They will have to start from scratch. I know that previous generations, the govt actually PAID people to emigrate, and they also PAID people to go into the military. The govt can also reassign land use at the stroke of a pen.
I have read your response three times and I still don't understand it.

Rtm

We came to the US in 1964 with literally nothing. but the cloths on our backs. I say this, because when we left Cuba, they even took a dime I had in my pocket. They even took our birth certificates. My parents struggled almost every day of their lives. On occasions, dinner for us was a piece of bread with sugar. I did not have my own bedroom, until I became an adult and could afford my own apartment. Despite all of this, it was still a good time and we were happy.

Rtm
and i m o is the American dream you had nothing yet you bettered yourself

it seems the next generation is going to be raised like pigs in a factory farm or hens in battery cages.
the next generation needs to better them selves . my dad was born in 1918 had a 8th grade education had a successful business up to the point his health broke . you get out of life what you make of it. the old expression when life gives you lemons you make lemonade . our son age 33 graduated from H.S . went to a tech college studied net work admin for 2 years only to find out .to be hired they want a BA degree with 5 years experience. he has worked on a farm 10-12 hours a day 7 days a week worked in a factory let go due to lack of work from the virus. drew unemployment. then he got a job at the school doing janitor work. make ing fair money only drives 5 miles to get there. i work at briggs startton where they make lawn mower engines . he has it better than me . you do what ya have to do a lady i know got a degree in chemistry . teaches school life is tough

the next generation needs to better them selves . my dad was born in 1918 had a 8th grade education had a successful business up to the point his health broke . you get out of life what you make of it. the old expression when life gives you lemons you make lemonade . our son age 33 graduated from H.S . went to a tech college studied net work admin for 2 years only to find out .to be hired they want a BA degree with 5 years experience. he has worked on a farm 10-12 hours a day 7 days a week worked in a factory let go due to lack of work from the virus. drew unemployment. then he got a job at the school doing janitor work. make ing fair money only drives 5 miles to get there. i work at briggs startton where they make lawn mower engines . he has it better than me . you do what ya have to do a lady i know got a degree in chemistry . teaches school life is tough
I earned my bachelor's degree, while a young man in the military. It took me 10 years. I started while stationed at Fort Campbell, KY and ended during my second tour to Germany.

I don't think holidays abroad are even part of the equation, I am talking about a decent standard of living where you have a roof over your head (that's not going to leak) and is dry and don't have to deal with the crap and pollution that the older generation have bequeathed us.
That usually starts with looking for a job and being faithful in the job you have.
the young generation aren't even complaining about eating out or not eating out. We don't even care about that! We don't care about making lots of money so we can do those things which are entirely selfish things only baby boomers seem to care about.
Why should they when mommy and daddy and uncle Sam keeps enabling them?

We care about the environment and whats happening to our water, or children, or planet. You know IMPORTANT stuff that affects our health and wellbeing.
Is that why that generation is the least concerned about the murder of the unborn and has the least interest in the Bible?
"Save the whales, but abort the babies" as the saying goes.
We don't even really care about travelling all over the world or going to university. We only go because there aren't many well paid professional jobs you can get without a university or tertiary degree. its the older generation who are the ones complaining about stuff that means absolutely nothing to the younger generation and then saying the younger ones are complaining. Talk about gaslighting!
Yes well, there was a 'generation gap' back in the '60's. We were told not to trust anyone over 30.
Old story of divide and conquer.

Rtm
That’s a sad start but a wonderful happy ending 😊
My dad was born on the kitchen floor and he was placed in the fire grate to keep warm in swaddling clothing in winter.
He had to work hard all his life to buy a little house to keep us.
Yes, his employment Was safe, working in a paper mill, but we couldn’t afford luxuries like we can now.
playtime for us was camping out in the front yard playing cards for sweets😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back