Toxic Hatred In A Christian Life

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

When we study the Bible, God reveals so much in the Old and New Testaments about anger that can fester into hatred
toward other humans. Yet as Christians we still struggle with this in our daily walk with Christ more than a broken down car, house appliance or our personal computer.

If we study the Bible regarding the downfall of toxic hatred, why is this so rampant in the Christian community?

Example, in my 19 years of Christian fellowship on the internet, I have experienced so much anger, hatred and division from the past between devout Christian men and women. This still exists daily, almost more than in the community.

The Bible teaches us that God is
Agape Love, God's highest form of unconditional love, mercy, charity and grace. Hatred is the opposite of who Jesus is.

Anger or getting mad at someone in a relationship with our spouse, family, friends and the Church does not necessarily lead to hate. We all get angry. It's a natural human emotion that needs to get through a managing process arriving at calm and reconciliation with others but also ourselves. This takes constant discipline.

But in our anger it can have the potential for hate.

Years ago I studied Christian Counseling as a prerequisite at seminary. I'm not a clinical therapist that specializes in human behavior. But as a Pastor I have sat with so many people, mostly men and women. One of the prime problems is the way we interact with other believers. Are we receiving or are we reacting?

As a lifetime student of the Bible, God's Word, or "God Says," these two Scriptures sunk in during my share of daily life;

Proverbs 10:12, 12 Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins. - KJV

Matthew 5:21-22, 21 “You have heard that it was said to the men of old, ‘You shall not kill; and whoever kills shall be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother shall be liable to the council, and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be liable to the hell of fire. - RSV

I thought to myself, these Scriptures are coming from the Lord, therefore, wouldn't the Lord also have a solution to help me with my anger, especially behind closed doors or when I expose myself to others?

Every morning when I am given a new day, I include during my prayers this discussion; I give thanks to God for His infinite love over me. I acknowledge He knows me better than I know or understand myself. I then asked God to help me more and more each day to look to Him, first, in every instance and ask to help me guard my heart and tongue, especially toward others.

In the evening when I prayed before resting, I would continue the discussion by recapping the day, and confess when I didn't look to Him first by getting impatient with the other driver on the road, at Costco, etc...I ask God for renewed chances in this discipline.

At this time in my life I am more calm and receiving of others toward me. But it's still a work in progress and little by little God has revealed a change in me in guarding my heart and tongue in all instances. I'm also growing because every instance with Jesus benefits my relationship.

I'd like to know your thoughts and testimony regarding toxic hatred in a Christian life. How do you deal with it and have you confessed this to God?

God bless you all and your families.

why is there so much discontent towards the local Church. . i will say this and i pretty much know what direction it will fall. THE Church is only as good as its pastor and the pastor is only as good as the congregation . when Jesus said why seek ye the living among the dead. what do you think he would say today. Sunday night we vested a Church we go to a lot on Sunday night. the pastor had a former pastor preach.. he told of a youth revival they had about 40 years ago . he told of the number who got saved... what happened to them days?

I'd like to know your thoughts and testimony regarding toxic hatred in a Christian life. How do you deal with it and have you confessed this to God?
All hatred is toxic.

God tells us not to fear since he knows fear so easily turns to anger and hatred. When we inevitably fear we must immediately recognize it and promptly deal with it. If we don't it will fester. This means giving it to God in prayer. It also means letting go of our anger and our hatred and replacing both with love since love is the antidote.

Why would we do this when we are in pain and feel that we have been wronged? Why would we let the other person get away with their treachery, whatever it may be? Well, because we have to. If we don't, the fear, anger and hatred will infect us until we become dark and twisted.

In the end we have one choice: to love or not. If we love then the aggregate total of love increases. If we don't then it does not. It's that simple.

Thank you for this wonderful topic. 🙏 ❤️

Jason

Its said in NZ that people become different when they get inside their cars and frequently become angry road rage-aholics. I think it's lack of oxygen in the cars that affects people's brains? I like to drive with my window open a lot of the time for ventilation, and only have happy music playing on the stereo.
Also, I have a fish symbol but I don't know if that helps any.

Otherwise, If I have thoughts of revenge or unforgiveness to someone who wrongs me, I look to God to for Him to handle it, since I can't do it all on my own.

Hello brothers and sisters;

When we study the Bible, God reveals so much in the Old and New Testaments about anger that can fester into hatred
toward other humans. Yet as Christians we still struggle with this in our daily walk with Christ more than a broken down car, house appliance or our personal computer.

If we study the Bible regarding the downfall of toxic hatred, why is this so rampant in the Christian community?

Example, in my 19 years of Christian fellowship on the internet, I have experienced so much anger, hatred and division from the past between devout Christian men and women. This still exists daily, almost more than in the community.

The Bible teaches us that God is
Agape Love, God's highest form of unconditional love, mercy, charity and grace. Hatred is the opposite of who Jesus is.

Anger or getting mad at someone in a relationship with our spouse, family, friends and the Church does not necessarily lead to hate. We all get angry. It's a natural human emotion that needs to get through a managing process arriving at calm and reconciliation with others but also ourselves. This takes constant discipline.

But in our anger it can have the potential for hate.

Years ago I studied Christian Counseling as a prerequisite at seminary. I'm not a clinical therapist that specializes in human behavior. But as a Pastor I have sat with so many people, mostly men and women. One of the prime problems is the way we interact with other believers. Are we receiving or are we reacting?

As a lifetime student of the Bible, God's Word, or "God Says," these two Scriptures sunk in during my share of daily life;

Proverbs 10:12, 12 Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins. - KJV

Matthew 5:21-22, 21 “You have heard that it was said to the men of old, ‘You shall not kill; and whoever kills shall be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother shall be liable to the council, and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be liable to the hell of fire. - RSV

I thought to myself, these Scriptures are coming from the Lord, therefore, wouldn't the Lord also have a solution to help me with my anger, especially behind closed doors or when I expose myself to others?

Every morning when I am given a new day, I include during my prayers this discussion; I give thanks to God for His infinite love over me. I acknowledge He knows me better than I know or understand myself. I then asked God to help me more and more each day to look to Him, first, in every instance and ask to help me guard my heart and tongue, especially toward others.

In the evening when I prayed before resting, I would continue the discussion by recapping the day, and confess when I didn't look to Him first by getting impatient with the other driver on the road, at Costco, etc...I ask God for renewed chances in this discipline.

At this time in my life I am more calm and receiving of others toward me. But it's still a work in progress and little by little God has revealed a change in me in guarding my heart and tongue in all instances. I'm also growing because every instance with Jesus benefits my relationship.

God bless you all and your families.
Good post brother!

I wish I could give you and answer but in fact I have NO idea.

We see it acted out in churches all over the land. Right HERE on this web site we have seen HATED and ANGER played out right in front of us and we have to ask.........What in the world causes this?

Now I am not talking about "Persecution" of the church or of Christians. I am talking about anger from one person to another over NOTHING! Think back over the confrontations and conflicts you have witnessed and what do you find as the cause for it???????

Having thought about this a lot in the past, and actually having done several papers on it, I think it comes down to a couple of things.

1. PRIDE!.
Believers are sinners and the sin that God hates the most is PRIDE!. You see, we think that WE must be right. WE know the truth and Billy Bob is a nut case.....BUT NOT ME!
PRIDE also says........No one is going to tell me anything! That is also a character flaw and speaks of ignorance.

May I say to everyone reading this that Pride is a prison that perpetuates anger, hurt, and foolishness. Then at the very same time it works in our hearts to keep at bay the restorative effects of conviction, humility, and reconciliation. In other words, PRIDE says..........
Never apologize, YOU are the one who is right!

PRIDE also is the one who says in your ear.......You are OK, it is everyone else who is at fault!
Robert.......This is exactly why when you preach a sermon or counsel a couple, what you here is, HE IS TALKING TO YOU, NOT ME!
People, every Sunday sit and here the preacher preach his heart out and the average person in the pew says...............
"Boy the old preacher is really giving it to THEM today. THEY needed to here this."

#2. The root of HATE is rebellion against God.
It speaks to His nature and His will and man wanting to do what he wants to do.

Many will disagree with this, but I believe this is what Jesus was talking about In Matthew 7 when He spoke about "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

Robert, if we have anger, hate and animosity towards a fellow Christian we can not then say that we LOVE GOD! That is an impossibility!

1 John 4:20.......
"If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?"

When People cave into their fleshly desires, whether instinctively or intentionally, whether it is PRIDE or HATE, then they set themselves against God. The Bible makes it clear that God is love; He is the source of love, the giver of true life, and because of that love will continue into eternity, since He is eternal.

Hate is the sinful opposition to that love. It is the driving force behind much of the wicked action people take. Sometimes it is hating others, hating a process, and then sometimes it is the hating of oneself.

God’s Word has much to say on the topic, emphasizing its toxic influence, pernicious nature, and how much it hurts the Lord. It is a selfish emotion that sets man against his creator and his brethren, damaging everything it touches because it allows people to see their fellow man as not also made in the image of God; to know the love of God is to be touched by true love, and embracing that enables people to overcome the fleshly drive to hate, and become more Christ-like.

Its said in NZ that people become different when they get inside their cars and frequently become angry road rage-aholics. I think it's lack of oxygen in the cars that affects people's brains? I like to drive with my window open a lot of the time for ventilation, and only have happy music playing on the stereo. Also, I have a fish symbol but I don't know if that helps any. Otherwise, If I have thoughts of revenge or unforgiveness to someone who wrongs me, I look to God to for Him to handle it, since I can't do it all on my own.

Hello Lanolin;

Unfortunately when people get behind the wheel and become angry they get this feeling of power that can escalate into road rage. This is why there are so many accidents, injury to others, property and fatalities.

With all the safety features in today's cars, driving has become second nature for people so it's not a surprise while driving they talk / text on their cell phones, think about their problems at work, financial or family burdens, etc...This can trigger emotions and lose focus while driving.

Your playing happy music while driving definitely is great! While driving it's nice to praise God for his trees, lakes, flowers, the deer on the side of the road or cows pasturing in the hills while driving on the side roads or freeway.

We used to have a fish symbol behind our former car. It actually held me accountable when driving and be a good witness to the other driver.

For example, if you come to a 3 or 4 way stop and other driver and you approach at the same time, give the other driver the "green light." In a short fraction of a second it'll be your turn and you can proceed.

God bless everyone here.

More to come...

Hello Lanolin;

Unfortunately when people get behind the wheel and become angry they get this feeling of power that can escalate into road rage. This is why there are so many accidents, injury to others, property and fatalities.

With all the safety features in today's cars, driving has become second nature for people so it's not a surprise while driving they talk / text on their cell phones, think about their problems at work, financial or family burdens, etc...This can trigger emotions and lose focus while driving.

Your playing happy music while driving definitely is great! While driving it's nice to praise God for his trees, lakes, flowers, the deer on the side of the road or cows pasturing in the hills while driving on the side roads or freeway.

We used to have a fish symbol behind our former car. It actually held me accountable when driving and be a good witness to the other driver.

For example, if you come to a 3 or 4 way stop and other driver and you approach at the same time, give the other driver the "green light." In a short fraction of a second it'll be your turn and you can proceed.

God bless everyone here.

More to come...
May I jump in here and say that it is NOT a lack of oxygen, or sunlight or rain or cold air!

Cars are just like computer screens in that they offer ANNONIMITY!

People who speak on forums and drive cars say and do things because they are HIDDEN from view (basically - cars).

Just look at forums. Do you really think that some of the things you have seen said to others would be said in a FACE to FACE situation???? You see, when FACE to FACE we say something insulting and un-respectful, we are not 100% sure that we will get a mouth full of someones hand.

Cars offer a sense of protection. A driver can curse at someone, yell at them, make obscene gestures and drive away and hide.

Of course there is then the Road Rage Ranger who is mad at himself and he will go to great lengths to GET EVEN!

Good post brother!
I wish I could give you and answer but in fact I have NO idea.

We see it acted out in churches all over the land. Right HERE on this web site we have seen HATED and ANGER played out right in front of us and we have to ask.........What in the world causes this?

Now I am not talking about "Persecution" of the church or of Christians. I am talking about anger from one person to another over NOTHING! Think back over the confrontations and conflicts you have witnessed and what do you find as the cause for it???????

Having thought about this a lot in the past, and actually having done several papers on it, I think it comes down to a couple of things.

1. PRIDE!.
Believers are sinners and the sin that God hates the most is PRIDE!. You see, we think that WE must be right. WE know the truth and Billy Bob is a nut case.....BUT NOT ME!
PRIDE also says........No one is going to tell me anything! That is also a character flaw and speaks of ignorance.

May I say to everyone reading this that Pride is a prison that perpetuates anger, hurt, and foolishness. Then at the very same time it works in our hearts to keep at bay the restorative effects of conviction, humility, and reconciliation. In other words, PRIDE says..........
Never apologize, YOU are the one who is right!

PRIDE also is the one who says in your ear.......You are OK, it is everyone else who is at fault!
Robert.......This is exactly why when you preach a sermon or counsel a couple, what you here is, HE IS TALKING TO YOU, NOT ME!
People, every Sunday sit and here the preacher preach his heart out and the average person in the pew says...............
"Boy the old preacher is really giving it to THEM today. THEY needed to here this."

#2. The root of HATE is rebellion against God.
It speaks to His nature and His will and man wanting to do what he wants to do.

Many will disagree with this, but I believe this is what Jesus was talking about In Matthew 7 when He spoke about "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

Robert, if we have anger, hate and animosity towards a fellow Christian we can not then say that we LOVE GOD! That is an impossibility!

1 John 4:20.......
"If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?"

When People cave into their fleshly desires, whether instinctively or intentionally, whether it is PRIDE or HATE, then they set themselves against God. The Bible makes it clear that God is love; He is the source of love, the giver of true life, and because of that love will continue into eternity, since He is eternal.

Hate is the sinful opposition to that love. It is the driving force behind much of the wicked action people take. Sometimes it is hating others, hating a process, and then sometimes it is the hating of oneself.

God’s Word has much to say on the topic, emphasizing its toxic influence, pernicious nature, and how much it hurts the Lord. It is a selfish emotion that sets man against his creator and his brethren, damaging everything it touches because it allows people to see their fellow man as not also made in the image of God; to know the love of God is to be touched by true love, and embracing that enables people to overcome the fleshly drive to hate, and become more Christ-like.

Hello Major;

Your post did more than you know. Thank you for your outline and I feel your points are from life and hard knock experience.

Toxic Hate is rebellion against God.

No matter who we are in life, we will encounter anger situations that can escalate.

Brothers and sisters, how do we respond and apply the Lord's teaching?

Yes toxic hate is like holding onto a lump of hot coal, But the bible says there is a time to hate. Not with our brothers and sisters though, but because with them, we can freely discuss issues and or strive for peace with each other and they are to do so with us. Thats the beauty of The Christian Faith. But toward other humans, well now, that could be tricky, especially if they don't want to see things our way or even acknowledge the harm they are causing. And if you cannot escape them, then I can see how toxic hate could be born. I certainly feel hatred at times, especially when I see injustice.

Reminds me of Abigail and nabal. She did what was blessed with good judgement and did right in the eyes of the Lord to help David amid all the suffering he was going through, when David meant no one any harm. Living with nabal, I would have thought she would have held hatred against nabal, I don't know how she put up with him but its a great story, one that paid off for her and David in the end.

People who speak on forums and drive cars say and do things because they are HIDDEN from view (basically - cars).

Just look at forums. Do you really think that some of the things you have seen said to others would be said in a FACE to FACE situation???? You see, when FACE to FACE we say something insulting and un-respectful, we are not 100% sure that we will get a mouth full of someones hand.
but see one can be anything they want behind a computer. we discuss disagree soon the term argument comes up. maybe instead of toxic . we should use the word flesh. i use to work with guy he could never be wrong . even if it proved out to be wrong. its the same way with forums they just cant let it go

Yes toxic hate is like holding onto a lump of hot coal, But the bible says there is a time to hate. Not with our brothers and sisters though, but because with them, we can freely discuss issues and or strive for peace with each other and they are to do so with us. Thats the beauty of The Christian Faith. But toward other humans, well now, that could be tricky, especially if they don't want to see things our way or even acknowledge the harm they are causing. And if you cannot escape them, then I can see how toxic hate could be born. I certainly feel hatred at times, especially when I see injustice.

Reminds me of Abigail and nabal. She did what was blessed with good judgement and did right in the eyes of the Lord to help David amid all the suffering he was going through, when David meant no one any harm. Living with nabal, I would have thought she would have held hatred against nabal, I don't know how she put up with him but its a great story, one that paid off for her and David in the end.

Do you think that we got the name "Belly Button" from Abigal's husband.......Nabal?????

Hello Major;

Your post did more than you know. Thank you for your outline and I feel your points are from life and hard knock experience.

Toxic Hate is rebellion against God.

No matter who we are in life, we will encounter anger situations that can escalate.

Brothers and sisters, how do we respond and apply the Lord's teaching?
IT is what I do.

Hate breeds hate and when we treat someone with anger, malice, or hatred, it will typically cause them to behave in a similar way to yourself or to others.

Anger will never go away as it is born in the heart of man and so is the sin nature!

I am guilty of getting angry in the past, even though I exercise restraint. We all have our triggers, and continuing to channel our feelings in a healthy manner is Christian evolution. Might we all continue to evolve for we are in this sinful flesh of ours. There are a lot of angry people in the world, and there is actually a lot we could get angry about. Even Christ overturned those tables. It is an emotion like any other. However, I do not believe I have genuinely hated anyone. I might dislike the actions of others, but I can always find something I like in all people.

This story we are acting out at Bibles in Schools.

My boss was like a Nabal, honestly. Just had no idea.

But they all have number plates and regos...
When people drive they don't see other "people", they see "cars". This is a "Honda", that is a "Toyota" and that's a "Ford" etc. The vehicle dehumanizes the person inside. This is why people treat other cars in ways they would never treat people face to face. In addition, the vehicle and road act like a shield against harm. People know that if they cut someone off or weave in and out of traffic there is nothing anyone can realistically do to them other than honk their horn. These factors combine to produce the horrible behavior we see on roads. The effect is similar to if everyone walked around wearing costumes and masks. The feeling of anonymity brings with it a certain behavioral freedom that does not exist under most normal situations.

Should we make a distinction between righteous indignation and anger?
I see the former touching on a reaction to false doctrine or practice or mocking God's Word and the latter directed at a personal level.

Back