Travel in the South

So, you're going to the South? South in the United States is an entity outside the parameters of all decisive culture adaptations and, as such, is always capitalized. We are a peculiar people and if you go far enough south you will find that we are a very friendly people. I live in Alabama and am not from here originally but this is the home I was looking for. I live near Mobile, the birth place of Mardi Gras (not the perverted one in LA), jazz festivals (not like CO), and a must stop for Beignets (a delicious pastry), battleship USS Alabama, and that's about it. I live about 45 minutes from the beach (haven't been there since we moved here). Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are tourist hot spots where crawfish boils, a plethora of souvenir shops, restaurants, and novelty shops line the streets. The water is usually calm with some brackishness from the inflow of the Mississippi. Offshore fishing is good and at night one can see the lights of the oil rigs.

We are not far from Pensacola where the Blue Angels practice, great shopping and dining, clearer water, etc. can be found. Mississippi isn't far (if you're into that), or even Louisiana. The culture is fantastical in books and movies. Painting us as plantation owners surrounded by cotton and day-long sipping of tea on a wrap-around porch. Or back wood alligator hunters who have a few teeth, cuss a lot, spit a lot, and say yonder every other sentence. What we really are is a combination of those things but above all we are just a different kind of people who believe in and are willing to fight for faith, family, freedom, and firearms.

Mississippi looks good for a boat journey.

do you have railways?
What kind?
Railways aren't that big of a deal here (ironic considering our history). Trains just transport goods primarily. Mississippi, I suppose, would be a good boat ride destination. I have a saying that goes 'it is better to always have at least one thing you have always wanted to do left undone'. The fantasy of an experience is all too often far better than the experience itself. Always leave something for the imagination or we end up like Solomon in Ecclesiastes. We have a boat that is only four years old and in two years it hasn't even sat on water and a fifth-wheel camper that hasn't been used in over a year. I have done pretty much done everything and then something else. Now, I sit on the couch and get banned from websites for being grumpy. Don't lose the magic of imagination or let experience make you cynical. However, if you choose to travel here I sincerely hope you have the time of your life and it doesn't spoil your expectations.

Interesting. yes, Ecclesiastes is a bit cynical, I’ve been there lol.

I don’t think I intend to come to America just for the fun of it though, to just see things and marvel.
See, I never even gave America a second thought before I found The Lord.
No, I happen to have had that desire of a love of America placed into me for some odd reason I’m not yet sure of.
And when it’s A God Given Desire, it does feel odd at first, but it’s a full, Un-rushed, grow on you, satisfying kind of desire. It’s not my desire for sure.

anyway, thanks is for the heads up in your state.
I will sure leave somethings to the imagination!

Interesting. yes, Ecclesiastes is a bit cynical, I’ve been there lol.

I don’t think I intend to come to America just for the fun of it though, to just see things and marvel.
See, I never even gave America a second thought before I found The Lord.
No, I happen to have had that desire of a love of America placed into me for some odd reason I’m not yet sure of.
And when it’s A God Given Desire, it does feel odd at first, but it’s a full, Un-rushed, grow on you, satisfying kind of desire. It’s not my desire for sure.

anyway, thanks is for the heads up in your state.
I will sure leave somethings to the imagination!
I have lived in North Carolina (where I was born and raised), Tennessee, and Nebraska. If you ever go to NC, you definitely must visit my old hometown and see the Biltmore Estate.

I lived down in that area for a while... from Seminole, to north Mobile, then to Robertsdale. One of the coolest places I took the kids to was Pensacola NAS, to see the museum. We stayed all day, and I still don't think we seen everything. I also got to work there on the base for a little while.. it was pretty cool.
I haven't been there yet but I have had lots of recommendations to see it.

Yes, you can still ride paddle wheelers, but for only short trips. The Delta Queen operates out of Cincinnati on the Ohio River, the Southern Belle operates out of Chattanooga on the Tennessee River.

i remember a Hollywood tv version of Noah's Ark, the people were approaching the Ark using paddle wheelers and begging Noah to allow them to board. He yelled, NO! lol!

In 1963 Dad got stationed at Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, Alabama when George Wallace was Governor. I believe the school I attended included his son George Wallace Jr. who was 5 grades ahead of me. I do remember he wore a boy scouts uniform to school and was a nice guy.

In 1970 we were stationed at Shaw Air Force Base near Sumter and Columbia, SC. The Little League team I played on traveled to Winston Salem, NC to compete in an all stars tournament.

Alabama, South and North Carolina's are beautiful country and the friends I made in grade and middle school were extremely friendly.

Everyone went to church and it was hard to get a pew seat if we were late.

Back