Traveling home

CPerkins

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
My wife and I love to travel, but at the end of a trip we are often anxious to get home as well. There are many new wonders to be seen, beautiful sceneries to explore, cultural activities to experience yet they don't fully satisfy at the end of the day. Part of it is the responsibilities we have, but the other part is the familiarity, warmth, safety and comfort that are built in a home.

Covid has made it more clear to me how home and our backyard is a special place that God has given us. It has been nice in a way to take a little time to smell the roses and get better acquainted with them again.

Home is also where are heart is. Our church is such a place as well, were there are so many of our spiritual family. Sometimes home is with ones parents and family. Sometimes home is a place that is shared only with you and God and this too can bring comfort and joy at the end of the day. Traveling home to my Father is often a great joy as well something I like to do every morning.

My mum and sis have gone away for the weekend but I had to work so am staying at home with dad.
I haven't gone anywhere.
They gone to this cool place that has a hot water beach where you did in the sand and its actually hot water.

Funnily enough they are staying in accomodation called 'The Church'.

But I am glad I have hot water at home on tap and I don't have to dig a hole in the beach. Plus even though my home isn't flash like accomodations are I don't need to pay someone else to stay there per night and check out at 10am.

CPerkins

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
My mum and sis have gone away for the weekend but I had to work so am staying at home with dad.
I haven't gone anywhere.
They gone to this cool place that has a hot water beach where you did in the sand and its actually hot water.

Funnily enough they are staying in accomodation called 'The Church'.

But I am glad I have hot water at home on tap and I don't have to dig a hole in the beach. Plus even though my home isn't flash like accomodations are I don't need to pay someone else to stay there per night and check out at 10am.

There are no doubt many reasons that you enjoy this space you have come to call home. Are there any specific things about home that you like and might want to share?

For me it is a comfortable place to be alone now with my wife. I strive to make it a beautiful place as well that we can enjoy and that perhaps others can enjoy as well. Most importantly God has been brought into our space and shares it with us.

Well I quite like that I have my own room and also get to create and look after the garden. The room gets sun and is a good size for me. I have two bookshelves full of books.

If I lived in rented accomodation it would just be someone else's house and garden and I'd have to ask permission to plant anything permanent or grow a tree for example.

Otherwise my home is warm and dry. All you can ask for really. Some people have to live in damp rotting houses and the landlords don't care.

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello Chuck;

Earlier in our marriage when we could afford to travel, we went to New England for 10 days - Boston, Portsmouth NH, Maine, crossed over to Vermont, drove down to Connecticut, Rhode Island, back to Portsmouth then Boston. It was one of the best experiences of America, seeing it's history, attended a wonderful church service during the foliage in October. We truly enjoyed God's creation and the excitement was non-stop.

But when it was time to come home, we were grateful to God, gave Him thanks for the blessing but the happy feeling filled us of returning to our home.

Today we love staying at home. I'm an organizer and whether we leave or come it's comforting to know that most everything is in place. We have two projects - we're going to remake our enclosed patio and have artificial turf around the whole house.

My wife is not organized and enjoys her bed not being made, with pillows all around her while reading or watching a movie. lol!
That's home for both of us.

God bless you, Chuck, and thank you for sharing Traveling home.

CPerkins

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
I believe that travel is alluring because there are many experiences and sights that are different, new or otherwise of interest. Once we have seen and experienced these things I have often found in the past, the delightful reminder of why home is home.

Here at home we are surrounded with trees, mountains, beautiful waterways, plants, animal life, sunrises, sunsets, etc. The beauty God that surrounds each of us can become so familiar at times that we don't see it any more though. I think when traveling sometimes we are reminded of the beauty at home that has faded into the background unseen.

It's nice to go travelling, but home is where the heart is I suppose.
As a suburban city dweller, when I go to remote areas, it's ok for a couple of days, and then I start missing the different people and the buzz of urban life that you are a part of.

The countryside is wonderful but also isolating, like a small town will only have one or two shops, and maybe the same number of restaurants, and there could be nothing new or fresh for days lol. It takes ages for things to happen and you need to make do without a lot of things. You also get treated as sort of like a foreigner whereas at home nobody needs to question where you come from!

It's interesting that the reverse is true for country dwellers.