trinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i believe in the Father,son,holy ghost.trinity is just a word,not mentioned in the bible.so how important is it.?

My mother said tha Jesus's Babtism points to the triniy. You had Jesus. the holy spirit in the form of a Dove, and God speaking from heaven. Matthew 3:16-17, Mark 1:9-11, Luke 3:21-22. John 1:29-34 sort of relates, but is not the same scene I think.

1 John 5
7 For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.

John 1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
All Praise The Ancient Of Days

these 3 are 1,yes i agree but does this mean in spirit,3 in the same spirit of goodness etc,or 3 in 1 body.we know Christ said God is spirit.and was with him.but i don,t know about a trinity.

7For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

I recall some verses in Revelation that seems to confirm the Trinity:

"1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. "

"22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."

Now if we accept that when it says Alpha and Omega, first and last, it is speaking of God the Father, take this verse:

"1:17-18 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. "
(bold mine)

If Alpha and Omega, First and Last is The Father, when did He die? Jesus died, but He is not referred to in the same fashion as The Father.

This is evidence to me that they are seperate beings, yet one being as well. Trinity.

Hope that made sense...

There is God the Father (Gen 1-2; 6:5-7; Ex. 20; 32:9-14; I Kings 8:27; Psalm 90; 102:25-27; 145:18; Isa. 40:12-31; 66:1; Mal. 3:6; Matt. 10:29-30; John 4:24; 5:26; Acts 4:34-35; 17:23-25; Eph. 1:11; II Pet. 3:8; Rev. 4:10);

God the Son (John 1:-18; 20:28-31; Acts 7:59; Rom. 9:5; 10:9-13; II Cor. 12:7-9; Phil. 2:5-6; Col. 1:15-17: 2:9; Heb. 1:1-12; I Pet. 3:15); and

God the Spirit (John 14:1626; 15:26-27; 16:7-15; Acts 5:3-4).

All three are proclaimed together in Matt. 28:19; Rom. 8; 15:17-29; II Cor. 13:14; Eph. 1:3-14; II Thess. 2:13-14; I Pet. 1:2; Rev. 1:4-5).

These are not separate God's, this would be "Tritheism", nor are they one God acting out three roles, this would be "Modalism".Even though the word "Trinity" as a word is not found in the Bible, however the concept and essence is clearly stated. And the concept is one God with three conversing distinct ways to reveal Himself, "Personalities:, or "Substances". They are co-equal and co-eternal, they each have full divinity, yet are a distinct Person. We are required to give equal devotion and worship, but they are not three, but One in purpose and unity.

Several N.T. passages state God's triunity and each person of the Godhead is asserted to be divine.

The Father is God. Mt.6.8f: 7:21, Gal. 1.1.

The Son is God. Jn. 1:1-18, Rom. 9:5, Col. 2:9

The Spirit is God. Mk. 3:29, Jn. 15:26, 1 Cor. 6:19f.

It is important to note that the Trinity were in action from the very beginning.

Genesis 1. In the beginning God v. 1. And the Spirit of God was hovering v.2.

Our beloved Lord Jesus was there at the creation, creating all things. Col. 1:15-20.

Just as the firstborn son had certain privileges in the ancient world, so Christ has certain rights and privileges in relation to all creation. Praise His Holy Name.

God bless us all as we learn together.

There’s a lot of good stuff already.
Here’s my two cents.

You can find it right from the start.
In verse 1, there is God
In verse 2, there is the Spirit of God
In verse 3, there is the Word. (God said)

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Gen 1:2 And the earth was waste and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep: and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
Gen 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Of course I’m sure most are familiar with John 1 where it says…
Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

It goes right back to the beginning. The Word was with God and the Word was God.
And don’t forget Genesis verse 2, there is the Spirit of God.
So… you’ve got God, Spirit, Word.
I count three.

i have no doubt in what you say m8.3 in 1 rings very true.and i think it,s 3 in 1 for a reason.a word saying trinity i don,t like.this can be used in many diffrent ways like abba father.this to me was the jewish saying the father is good and bad.but Christ tells us diffrent,only God is truely good.and he only mentions father as in abba once,otherwise he says God.and Christ says God many times.so i agree 3 in 1.but i won,t call this a made up name,i have no need to do so.

No problem there. As long as you’ve got the 3 in 1 down. Since the word Trinity isn’t in the Bible, I don’t think we are required to use it. I look at it as a descriptive word to communicate the idea more easily. :D

Before he was Jesus, he was known as the WORD. The Word of God from which all creation was brought forth. Jesus is the Word of God manifested in the flesh. Understanding the trinity is understanding how God became a man.

hmmm:confused:

I'm a little confused with John 1:1..isn't there only 2?:eek:

and,in Gen 1:3 Jesus is the light,and the word? Interesting! I never knew that. I guess I forgot the I'm the way the truth and the light bit :eek: I've always thought only two were mentioned in Gen

Quoting Dean ; for you to understand , Amandaz . You can't just stick on one verse . There are so many verses here that others have given .
Of course I’m sure most are familiar with John 1 where it says…
Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

It goes right back to the beginning. The Word was with God and the Word was God.
And don’t forget Genesis verse 2, there is the Spirit of God.
So… you’ve got God, Spirit, Word.
I count three

1 John 5
7 For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.

Origin "The Trinity"doctrine (teaching)

"The trinity" ,while implied throughout the scriptures is a post biblical "creed" (Statment of belief) and "doctrine"(teaching).

The Athanasian Creed (Quicumque vult) is a statement of ChristianTrinitarian doctrine and Christology which has been used in Western Christianity since the sixth century A.D. Its Latin name comes from the opening words Quicumque vult, "Whosoever wishes." It is the first creed in which the equality of the three persons of the Trinity is explicitly stated.

Athanasian Creed
(fifth century)
This creed is attributed to Athanasius, the fourth century bishop of Alexandria who was the strongest defender of the doctrines of the Trinity and the divinity of Christ. It defines the doctrines of the Trinity and the nature of Christ in very concise language.
Please note that the term "catholic" in its usage is not a reference to the Roman Catholic Church, but is a reference to the universal (catholic) faith since that is how the term was originally used.

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith. Which faith except everyone do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity, neither confounding the persons, nor dividing the substance.
For there is one Person of the Father, another of the Son, and another of the Holy Spirit. But the godhead of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, is all one, the glory equal, the majesty co-eternal.
Such as the Father is, such is the Son, and such is the Holy Spirit. The Father uncreated, the Son uncreated, and the Holy Spirit uncreated. The Father incomprehensible, the Son incomprehensible, and the Holy Spirit incomprehensible.
The Father eternal, the Son eternal, and the Holy Spirit eternal. And yet they are not three eternals, but one Eternal.
As also there are not three incomprehensibles, nor three uncreated, but one Uncreated, and one Incomprehensible. So likewise the Father is Almighty, the Son Almighty, and the Holy Spirit Almighty. And yet they are not three almighties, but one Almighty.
So the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God. And yet they are not three gods, but one God.
So likewise the Father is Lord, the Son Lord, and the Holy Spirit Lord. And yet not three lords, but one Lord.
For as we are compelled by the Christian verity to acknowledge each Person by Himself to be both God and Lord, so we are also forbidden by the catholic religion to say that there are three gods or three lords.
The Father is made of none, neither created, nor begotten. The Son is of the Father alone, not made, nor created, but begotten. The Holy Spirit is of the Father, neither made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding.
So there is one Father, not three fathers; one Son, not three sons; one Holy Spirit, not three holy spirits.
And in the Trinity none is before or after another; none is greater or less than another, but all three Persons are co-eternal together and co-equal. So that in all things, as is aforesaid, the Unity in Trinity and the Trinity in Unity is to be worshipped.
He therefore that will be saved is must think thus of the Trinity.
Furthermore, it is necessary to everlasting salvation that he also believe rightly the Incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ. For the right faith is, that we believe and confess, that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is God and man; God, of the substance of the Father, begotten before the worlds; and man of the substance of his mother, born in the world; perfect God and perfect man, of a rational soul and human flesh subsisting. Equal to the Father, as touching His godhead; and inferior to the Father, as touching His manhood; who, although He is God and man, yet he is not two, but one Christ; one, not by conversion of the godhead into flesh but by taking of the manhood into God; one altogether; not by confusion of substance, but by unity of person. For as the rational soul and flesh is one man, so God and man is one Christ; who suffered for our salvation, descended into hell, rose again the third day from the dead. He ascended into heaven, He sits at the right hand of the Father, God Almighty, from whence He will come to judge the quick and the dead. At His coming all men will rise again with their bodies and shall give account for their own works. And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting; and they that have done evil into everlasting fire.
This is the catholic faith, which except a man believe faithfully, he cannot be saved.

Referances;
Wikipedia
Christian Apologetics Research Ministry "CARM"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back