TV viewing habits

I'm just doing a little survey on each...I'm not judging anyone ok?

Some of us like watching tv, some reading books, and others listening to music or radio. What I'm interested in is how much or often do we do of each activity, and what our daily habits are?

I'll start by sharing my TV viewing habits and how they've changed over time.

Ok I as a child of the 80s grew up with television. Everybody had at least one tv at home, usually in the living room, it was in colour, and I remember it having just two channels, then about 10 years later we had 3, and then sky tv came (cable tv) which you had to pay for, and eventually more people got that, and they could get heaps more channels.

As a child I would watch whatever my older sister watched, as she was the eldest and had control of the tv and later, the remote (the older ones you had to get up to change the channel!). There were childrens shows on before and after school, and in the daytime there were soaps, news was at 6o' clock, and then more soaps, then a sitcom, a more adult tv show and maybe a movie. Then tv would shut down for the night to start again the next morning.

My dad would religiously watch the 6 o clock news as he was also interested in the weather. The news was an hour long, and very boring to my childish eyes. I preferred cartoons, although I never made much sense of some of them, like Tom and Jerry or Roadrunner! There was a tv program called Playschool, and this taught children how to spell and tell the time, and had puppets and toys on it. There was also Sesame Street. I thought the puppets were real characters! They were more interesting than the boring adults.

There were lots of advertising for stuff people couldn't afford, but we had to endure the ads (commercials) anyway. Every 15 minutes, ads would come on. We watched tv every single day. On Sundays, there used to be no ads at all. As soon as we got home from school, we would turn on the tv, and watch until dinner time.

I know! Our eyes must have rotted and our brains must be damaged from all the radiation. To be continued....
I have an Amazon Firestick. I no longer watch ordinary television. On the Firestick, I refuse to watch anything with commercials or anything that conflicts with my moral values. I refuse to let satan's worldly influences into my home. I also watch only news from the Christian Broadcasting Network.

I have never heard of Amazon Firestick. I never buy anything from Amazon, as shipping is so expensive to NZ, though, I suppose I could 'buy' digital things, but, I never do. It doesn't feel like I get much value for money buying digital, because you don't own it.

I have never heard of Amazon Firestick. I never buy anything from Amazon, as shipping is so expensive to NZ, though, I suppose I could 'buy' digital things, but, I never do. It doesn't feel like I get much value for money buying digital, because you don't own it.
Firestick about same thing as a Roku, just a way to allow the TV to now stream!

I have an Amazon Firestick. I no longer watch ordinary television. On the Firestick, I refuse to watch anything with commercials or anything that conflicts with my moral values. I refuse to let satan's worldly influences into my home. I also watch only news from the Christian Broadcasting Network.
I have 3 Rokus on 3 Tv, only thing stopping me from fully cutting the cord is getting my Detroit Tiger/Pistons?Red Wings team!

My dad is like that with Sky TV. He watches the cricket.
We get all these other channels, but I never watch them. Mum watches Animal Planet, Living Channel, and National Geographic, and that's about it.

If you only have one tv, and someone is watching sport, which is ALL day - (Cricket can last for 5 days) there's not much chance to watch anything else. He could listen on the radio though, but with televised sport you can watch the ball being hit, AND subject yourself to advertisements painted on the cricket pitch grass.

My dad is like that with Sky TV. He watches the cricket.
We get all these other channels, but I never watch them. Mum watches Animal Planet, Living Channel, and National Geographic, and that's about it.

If you only have one tv, and someone is watching sport, which is ALL day - (Cricket can last for 5 days) there's not much chance to watch anything else. He could listen on the radio though, but with televised sport you can watch the ball being hit, AND subject yourself to advertisements painted on the cricket pitch grass.
Glad that neither Crickets nor Soccer was a real big deal over here!

I have 3 Rokus on 3 Tv, only thing stopping me from fully cutting the cord is getting my Detroit Tiger/Pistons?Red Wings team!

Hey YeshuaFan;

Alan Trammell and I played Little League baseball and went to the same high school in San Diego during the late 60s and 70s. It was tough watching him and the Tigers crush the Padres in 1984.

I ran into him at a combined high school reunion and turns out after his playing days he is a really nice guy.

Hey YeshuaFan;

Alan Trammell and I played Little League baseball and went to the same high school in San Diego during the late 60s and 70s. It was tough watching him and the Tigers crush the Padres in 1984.

I ran into him at a combined high school reunion and turns out after his playing days he is a really nice guy.
Glad to hear, as those Tigers of his time were "interesting". chet lemon and Lou Whittaker both JW, Jack Morris Morman, and rest were don't know!

I've been getting into the Maori tv channel, which also has captions, so I can learn some Maori.

Though I have to find time to watch it when nobody else is watching anything. If I hear the language spoken, I can pick it up more.

I've been getting into the Maori tv channel, which also has captions, so I can learn some Maori.

Though I have to find time to watch it when nobody else is watching anything. If I hear the language spoken, I can pick it up more.
When I was in high school ( late 1960's to early 1970's ) I made several attempts at learning spanish. At the time I was in Southern California and could receive broadcast TV from Mexico.

All I can say is that native speakers speak at a much faster speed than my instructors.

All I got out if Mexican TV was that bullfights were not my interest. And their news and other content went by too fast to understand.

When I was in high school ( late 1960's to early 1970's ) I made several attempts at learning spanish. At the time I was in Southern California and could receive broadcast TV from Mexico.

All I can say is that native speakers speak at a much faster speed than my instructors.

All I got out if Mexican TV was that bullfights were not my interest. And their news and other content went by too fast to understand.
You need to watch the children's tv or the spanish equivalent of Sesame Street.
On Maori tv they have language instruction. Also Maori tend not to speak fast, as a culture they take their time!

Since I left my parents home and their old black and white, I've not had tv... and I've never missed it. So my kids grew up without tv. At some point somebody gave me an old Commodore 64 and I connected a VCR too that so my kids could watch kid movies via VHS tape. While visiting my parents with our 4 kids in tow, they were all watching tv at the parents house one day and whenever the show went to commercial the oldest who was about 9 at the time would say "who just changed the channel". Because they grew up without ever having tv they didn't understand commercial breaks. Nobody fessed up and my oldest daughter got angrier and angrier with each commercial break as she was sure somebody was changing the channel on her. I noticed what was happening and explained it to her. I don't think she believed me at first but the reality of commercial breaks slowly sunk in and she began to settle down and the younger kids were out of danger :).

haha

on some channels they just interrupt the programme every 10 minutes for a commercial break its so annoying!
Pay tv has less or no ads. (advertising)

When used to have VCR, we would tape a program and fast forward the ads, and there was even a way you could program it to skip the ads.
On Sundays, it used to be the tv was not allowed to have ads. So everyone watched tv on Sundays, where you could enjoy a movie without interruption. Like going to the movies in your own home.

For people that lament the younger generation never going to the movies, well, it was super expensive, we just rented videos and watched them at home. Also back in the olden days there was no tv, so everyone went to the movies and paid like 5 cents.

While I was in the American air force, I lived for 10 years in Germany and acquired a working fluency with German by watching German TV. Sesame Strasse (Sesame Street) is what I began with. That is an outstanding way to begin learning a language

While I was in the American air force, I lived for 10 years in Germany and acquired a working fluency with German by watching German TV. Sesame Strasse (Sesame Street) is what I began with. That is an outstanding way to begin learning a language
When my wife and I went over to Russia 2 times to adopt our sons, both times went over on Lufthansa airlines, and was great in the 13 hour flight to watch mel gibson speaking in German!

When my wife and I went over to Russia 2 times to adopt our sons, both times went over on Lufthansa airlines, and was great in the 13 hour flight to watch mel gibson speaking in German!
Yeah, I used to laugh watching John Wayne westerns and The Guiding Light in German.

When I grew up in the early 2000s (I was alive in the 90s but under 5), my parents didn't have a television. We did have have high speed internet, and when I wasn't doing lessons or housework (homeschooled) I was allowed to use the internet (monitored) or play strategy video games.

I encountered television occasionally at friend's places but I was always 6 more interested in talking or video games. Eventually dad got a flat screen TV to hook up to our PCs, to help with lesson plans and watch some movies. I think to this day he still doesn't have TV service or streaming.

We don't have a TV with service, but we do have two televisions we can Screencast to for school lessons or movies. To be honest I am too busy to watch television, but I do like to read. My youngest likes to watch Justice League cartoons.

Back