Two Commands

Bob Wille (Family)

Passed on, November 6, 2022
Jesus answered, “ ’Love the Lord your God with all your heart,
all your soul, and all your mind.’
This is the first and most important command.
And the second command is like the first:
’Love your neighbor as you love yourself
.’ “
Matthew 22:37-39

Suppose I understand the Bible and…
am the greatest preacher who ever lived!
The Apostle Paul wrote that unless I have love,
I am nothing.”
[Billy Graham]

Naturally, God Speaks
Web 907.JPG

Love is the defining element of the Christian life. We also know that without faith it's impossible to please God (do God's will).

Your illustration reminded me of the Old Testament imagery used of shadows. To hide under the shadow of someone was to trust in their power and strength. The shadow protected someone from the heat, or trouble that enemies could bring.

Psalm 36:7
How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.

Psalm 91:1
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

Isaiah 25:4
For thou hast been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat, when the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall.

Periodically I hear someone say they love God and then later express how they hate someone. But........

How can we truly love God if we hate any of our neighbors?

1 John 4:20-21
20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

Hello Bob;

Amazing! But God already knew when I read the Thought For Today; that in today's sermon, God's Intimacy, I will mention the Greatest Commandment at my closing.

God bless you, Bob and your family.
Our God has many, many wonderful qualities. One of them is that He is omniscient...all knowing.
This could be one of those occasions. Praise Him! 🙌

Back