What’s your opinion on this?

Hello everyone, I asked this question earlier, but it got closed by a moderator because the answers might clash with my beliefs, so this time, I’m not asking for a definitive answer, just your opinions. :) On battlefield V, there is an outfit called “holy ghost.” In your opinion, is this blasphemy and/or is it a sin to play this game. (To the mods: if this question is still not allowed to be asked, please close this thread. Thanks :). )

Hello everyone, I asked this question earlier, but it got closed by a moderator because the answers might clash with my beliefs, so this time, I’m not asking for a definitive answer, just your opinions. :) On battlefield V, there is an outfit called “holy ghost.” In your opinion, is this blasphemy and/or is it a sin to play this game. (To the mods: if this question is still not allowed to be asked, please close this thread. Thanks :). )

Hello WillCH;

God bless you and thank you for asking an honest and open question. I don't know Battlefield V. If there is an "outfit," do you mean "game?" If the outfit, or game, is called "Holy Ghost, " no. This is not a sin.

Its what you do with the game, WillCH. Is the outfit, or game, Holy Ghost, about sinful behavior that doesn't glorify God? Does the game advocate violence to the death, or doing evil, as the winner?

I used to play a fast, highly skilled game of concentration, intelligence, and quick reflex where only one could be the winner. That game was called pong. The definition of pong is an unpleasant smell in English and Chinese. But this is not a sin.

Then after playing I went to youth group on Mondays and played guitar during Sunday service. This was back in the 1970s.

You asked a good and honest question. There is a secular rock band called the Doobie Brothers. They play a good song called, "Jesus is just alright with me." I don't know the band's personal lifestyle nor do I pay heed, but when I hear the song I don't feel I'm in sin. If the name of the outfit or game, "Holy Ghost," clashes with your beliefs, then only you can answer whether to play or let it go.

Anyone elses thoughts?

God bless you, WillCH, and your family.

There is no commandment such as thou shalt not play particular games.. But...

If you are worried about the name, I would much prefer a different name, but that in itself is not the biggest worry.

Do your thoughts while playing bring you into closer fellowship to others in a way that would be pleasing to God, or does it make fellowship more of a contest where you need to triumph over someone else?

Does it occupy a greater portion of your thoughts than is healthy?

There are many pastimes that are problematic. A given activity can be a minor diversion for one can be adictive and distructive for another.

No idea, explain what this game is, Ive never heard of it. What do you do. Why is it called the holy ghost.

I think playing Monopoly is sinful cos in order to win you need to make the most money and bankrupt everyone else. Its greed that wins. It just teaches you to be covetous and buy lots of properties that you then develop, build and flip, mortgage and charge everyone rent, and utiltiis that charge, and taxes and stuff. Sometimes you get put in jail but then you come out again.

And the Bible does say love of money is the root of all evil.

So I swapped it for scrabble. Also I have a Bible trivia game that I wish I could play with more people.

There is no commandment such as thou shalt not play particular games.. But...

If you are worried about the name, I would much prefer a different name, but that in itself is not the biggest worry.

Do your thoughts while playing bring you into closer fellowship to others in a way that would be pleasing to God, or does it make fellowship more of a contest where you need to triumph over someone else?

Does it occupy a greater portion of your thoughts than is healthy?

There are many pastimes that are problematic. A given activity can be a minor diversion for one can be adictive and distructive for another.
The game is based on World War II, and you play in squads of 4 to capture objectives and gain territory. You can help your team by playing as an Assault soldier, Medic soldier, Sniper soldier, or Support soldier. You can customize your soldier with different outfits. One particular outfit is called “holy ghost” and I was wondering if that was blasphemy. I don’t have a problem with the gameplay itself, because I’m not committing the actions in real life, but there is violence and cursing. My main question is asking if I shouldn’t play this game because of the name of that outfit. The violence and cursing don’t bother me, but I certainly don’t want to be participating in blasphemy.

Hello WillCH;

God bless you and thank you for asking an honest and open question. I don't know Battlefield V. If there is an "outfit," do you mean "game?" If the outfit, or game, is called "Holy Ghost, " no. This is not a sin.

Its what you do with the game, WillCH. Is the outfit, or game, Holy Ghost, about sinful behavior that doesn't glorify God? Does the game advocate violence to the death, or doing evil, as the winner?

I used to play a fast, highly skilled game of concentration, intelligence, and quick reflex where only one could be the winner. That game was called pong. The definition of pong is an unpleasant smell in English and Chinese. But this is not a sin.

Then after playing I went to youth group on Mondays and played guitar during Sunday service. This was back in the 1970s.

You asked a good and honest question. There is a secular rock band called the Doobie Brothers. They play a good song called, "Jesus is just alright with me." I don't know the band's personal lifestyle nor do I pay heed, but when I hear the song I don't feel I'm in sin. If the name of the outfit or game, "Holy Ghost," clashes with your beliefs, then only you can answer whether to play or let it go.

Anyone elses thoughts?

God bless you, WillCH, and your family.

I think you gave an excellent reply.

On a different level of thinking, I am concerned that games such as Battlefield and many others are teaching our children how to kill.
These games cheapen life and delude children and I have a feeling they are causing children to be brain washed and hypnotized.

YES, I actually do realize how old fashioned and archaic that sounds. I have watched several of my grandchildren play these "shoot'em up" games and I am convinced that they are not good. My grandchildren are no longer allowed to play them at grandpas house.

Yes again to the comment of......."I bet Majors grandkids were mad at him"!!!

They still are.

The game is based on World War II, and you play in squads of 4 to capture objectives and gain territory. You can help your team by playing as an Assault soldier, Medic soldier, Sniper soldier, or Support soldier. You can customize your soldier with different outfits. One particular outfit is called “holy ghost” and I was wondering if that was blasphemy. I don’t have a problem with the gameplay itself, because I’m not committing the actions in real life, but there is violence and cursing. My main question is asking if I shouldn’t play this game because of the name of that outfit. The violence and cursing don’t bother me, but I certainly don’t want to be participating in blasphemy.

Willch…..do you feel comfortable in telling us how old you are?

You said...………..
" I’m not committing the actions in real life, but there is violence and cursing."

But aren't you do exactly that my brother?

Aren't you shooting players, killing them in the game and doesn't it get you excited and pumped up?

You are posting on a Christian website so I hope you realize that you will get Christian and Biblical advice.
Please read and consider this in................

James 4:17 .........…
"If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them."

Leviticus 5:1 ……...
"'If anyone sins because they do not speak up when they hear a public charge to testify regarding something they have seen or learned about, they will be held responsible."

It seems to me that you are concerned about this or you would not have asked the original wuestion. That being the case I would say to you that
You should not try to get as close as possible to sin without actually sinning; you should try to be as close to God as possible, and you will be far away from sin!

Back