What are your thoughts on the beliefs that Gen Z are brain dead?

not religious related; i am part of the Gen Z generation and I feel this a negative generalization toward not only younger generations but also people who have disabilities.

But what are your thoughts?

Every older generation thinks the newer generation has fallen short in some way. I recall reading in the Illiad about how the warriors of 'today' (i.e. 3,200 years ago) were lesser in might than their fathers and grandfathers. It's simply not true. Each generation is different than the ones that preceded it, that's all.

Hello PTSDintheAsylum, I'm a "Boomer", and I've been guilty at times of considering Y's and Z's in a less favorable light than I should have (never did that with GenXers for some reason, except in regard to their popular music ;)).

I think that the most frustrating thing, for me anyway, is something that began and took a serious hold of the Y's (and has continued with the Z's too, though admittedly, you Z's are starting to push back a bit). It concerns your new belief about the "truth", that it doesn't exist, or that (at best) it is somehow fluid and individualist in nature (gray, rather than black and white).

My concern is also well-founded, since historically (over the millennia), a society that loses its notion of black and white "truth" and replaces it with the notion of a gray or fluid "truth" instead, is a society or civilization that is on the brink of collapse.

The idea of "victimhood" (in most of its many, contemporary forms) is the other thing creates a difficulty for me with Y's and Z's, for your sakes, mostly, but also in the way that it affects society as a whole.

That said, I have seen some interesting reports about some very positive things happening within the "Z" community recently, most specifically your taking note of the some of the problematic choices that the Y's made before you and, as I said above, learning from them/not wanting to make them your own, and then pushing back against them by making better choices for yourselves :)

Have you watched The Chosen tv series yet? I ask, because your generation has taken a particular interest in it, so much so that the producers began to look into why. They actually had a casting call (of sorts) where they selected 9 GenZ's out of 1,000 applicants (from all over the country) to come together (where they are shooting The Chosen), watch & review Season 1, and then give them their unfiltered opinions about it as they watched each episode and discussed it.

I must say that I have come away with a different opinion of your generation now. I am, in fact, impressed after listening to everything that group of Z's had to say about the series, their lives, and the world in general đź‘Ťđź‘Ť, and I'm sorry that I allowed myself to believe a negative stereotype, even in part, that is clearly not true of "Z's" in general.

If you'd like to see what I'm talking about (The Chosen in review by that group of Z's), you'll need to download The Chosen app.

I would ~highly~ recommend watching Season's 1 & 2 before watching the Gen-Z's review it and talk about it however, as it will be much more impactful for you if you do (BTW, The Chosen is always FREE to watch on the app, at Amazon, Netflix, TUBI, and/or any other place that it can be accessed .. watching all 3 seasons can only be done on the app right now, though I am sure that it will be available on Amazon soon too, where all of seasons 1 & 2 are already available for viewing).

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - Season 1, Episodes 1 & 2, can be hard to understand until you've watched them all the way through. If you have any question about them please don't hesitate to ask. Once you've watched and understood those two episodes, the rest is easy (Episodes 1 & 2 remain my favorite episodes, but I had trouble understanding them when I first watched them, just FYI).

Finally (FYI #2), I have a 24-year-old son, so my interest in your wonderful Generation is a very personal one :)

Last edited:
Back