What bible translation do you read and why?

I am always curious what bible translations christians read being there are so many to choose. I guess why did you choose the one that you like to read? Do you think there is a best one over another read?
I attached a video I made partly from an observation I made by the style of communication my uses when she is talking to others at times. My wife speaks 7 languages and from that it gave me some additional insight about bible translations i thought I would share that you might find interesting also..

I love my KJV and grown accustomed to it's language. Mostly I chose it because it is Part of the majority text family.

cp
I grew up with it and can read it too. I have found
that I convert the Old English words to current usage
when reading it though. Do you read it verbatim or do you
convert words?

I have great respect for you, CP.
I believe that regardless of translation God speaks His truth.

Last edited:
I convert the words as I read it, but also recognize there are distinctions that we sometimes miss in words like thee, thou, ye and you.

cp

I convert the words as I read it, but also recognize there are distinctions that we sometimes miss in words like thee, thou, ye and you.

cp
was surprised how much like the Kjv the esv read!

The Bible by my bed is an older version of NASB. It is the one I used when I was in high school. It's held together with tape. In my living room are a current NASB and the super giant print King James that I take to services since I can read it without glasses.

I have lots of electronic versions that I use as they seem appropriate.

I am always curious what bible translations christians read being there are so many to choose. I guess why did you choose the one that you like to read? Do you think there is a best one over another read?
I attached a video I made partly from an observation I made by the style of communication my uses when she is talking to others at times. My wife speaks 7 languages and from that it gave me some additional insight about bible translations i thought I would share that you might find interesting also..

I used the KJV for 50 years and then the NKJV. Now I tend to read the ESV.

The one I would tell you to leave on the shelf is the NIV.

The NIV has now removed 64,575 words from the Bible including Jehovah, Calvary, Holy Ghost and omnipotent to name a few… The NIV has also now removed 45 complete verses.

Do not accept what I say as the gospel. YOU do the workk. Just ask Mr. Google and he will confirm what I have just said.

I used the KJV for 50 years and then the NKJV. Now I tend to read the ESV.

The one I would tell you to leave on the shelf is the NIV.

The NIV has now removed 64,575 words from the Bible including Jehovah, Calvary, Holy Ghost and omnipotent to name a few… The NIV has also now removed 45 complete verses.

Do not accept what I say as the gospel. YOU do the workk. Just ask Mr. Google and he will confirm what I have just said.
The 1984 Niv was decent, but the 2011 Inclusive Language beastie trashed it!

Thank you for the response so far. I have read the NIV, KjV, NKJV, TLB, and now I am reading HCSB. I have read all these each for a number of years and multiple times in year while I was reading/studying it. Today I read the HCSB and use biblehub (a online bible platform) when I wonder about something I go there to read the scriptures in many versions. Then sometimes I go to the source greek or hebrew and think about how the word might have been used and why the translators picked the words they did to use.
My favorite is HCSB, but when I know it is lacking from memory of what I might of read in other versions that's when I go to biblehub to review.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response so far. I have read the NIV, KjV, NKJV, TLB, and now I am reading HCSB. I have read all these each for a number of years and multiple times in year while I was reading/studying it. Today I read the HCSB and use biblehub (a online bible platform) when I wonder about something I go there to read the scriptures in many versions. Then sometimes I go to the source greek or hebrew and think about how the word might have been used and why the translators picked the words they did to use.
My favorite is HCSB, but when I know it is lacking from memory of what I might of read in other versions that's when I go to biblehub to review.

Hello Shepherd Boy;

I'm blessed to read everyone's academic discipline for the Word and learning to cross reference other translations and using Bible resources.

This is not to say our brothers and sisters who may be growing with one Bible, praise God, for all who make to time to include personal or group study in our daily walk.

God bless His Word.

I will read from the KJV, NKJV, ESV, NASB, AMP, EXB, NET, NLT, TLV etc.
I refuse to read from the RSV, Passion Translation, The Message. (NWT a definite no-no.)
The best Bible version is the one you read, (except the last four mentioned. LOL)
Agreed, I did look through the message once and didn't see myself reading it. The main reason I read is I am looking for God in it. I mean learning who He is, what pleases Him and how He created this life to work. I think all of this here is our introductory into eternity for the believer. I say believer, because many christians do not read the word.

I don't know how many missionaries use this forum, but what I found interesting especially in 3rd world countries or anti-christian countries that God still manages to teach the believer His precepts even if they have little or no access to the word. My wife was a good example she put here faith in Jesus when she was very young with little access to the written word. She would hear it preached here and there, but God manage help her and keep her close to him choosing the right things. Her main communication during that time period and still is today prayer and worship. She is always singing and worshiping God around the house.

Of course now she reads and has access through the internet to the word. and I find it a joy tto share the scriptures and truths from them together. The proliferation of the word and the many translations rather it was for greed or service will surely be evidence against us in that day. Most of us won't be able to say we didn't know.

The Bible by my bed is an older version of NASB. It is the one I used when I was in high school. It's held together with tape. In my living room are a current NASB and the super giant print King James that I take to services since I can read it without glasses.
I have lots of electronic versions that I use as they seem appropriate.

Hello Siloam;

I like how your NASB is right next to your bed. It sounds like its been through a lot of miles held together by tape.

I still like the feel of my old hard copy and haven't upgraded to the electronic versions, yet.

Thank you for the response so far. I have read the NIV, KjV, NKJV, TLB, and now I am reading HCSB. I have read all these each for a number of years and multiple times in year while I was reading/studying it. Today I read the HCSB and use biblehub (a online bible platform) when I wonder about somethisb, as that is what the HCSB morphed into now being!
Have you read the Csb, as that is what the HCSB morphed into being!

Have you read the Csb, as that is what the HCSB morphed into being!

Back