What Does The Bible Say About Working On Weekends?

So I heard something that it's a sin to work on Saturday and Sunday because they are days for resting and they are holy days, but what about working on very serious works, like police, hospital, fire fighter, etc. and other work like transportation? Would those kinds of work be exceptions?

Also, are we allowed to use electricity on weekends? Or is it only that we can't work with electricity?

(I might have asked this question about using electricity on weekends before. I am sorry if I ask this again.)

Last edited:
We are not israelites, it's ok to do w/e on weekends
Colossians 2:16"Therefore, do not let anyone judge you about what you eat and drink+ or about the observance of a festival or of the new moon+or of a sabbath."

We are not israelites, it's ok to do w/e on weekends
Colossians 2:16"Therefore, do not let anyone judge you about what you eat and drink+ or about the observance of a festival or of the new moon+or of a sabbath."

So the forbidding of working on weekends was only for Israelites, and not for all Christians?

Where is that mentioned then? Because I feel like the Bible says that we can't work on weekends and that it applies to all Christians... I don't think it was Israel's government that said that no work on weekends.
Colossians 2:16,17 "Therefore, do not let anyone judge you about what you eat and drink+ or about the observance of a festival or of the new moon+or of a sabbath.+17 Those things are a shadow of the things to come,+ but the reality belongs to the Christ."

Colossians 2:16,17 "Therefore, do not let anyone judge you about what you eat and drink+ or about the observance of a festival or of the new moon+or of a sabbath.+17 Those things are a shadow of the things to come,+ but the reality belongs to the Christ."

I see. But that doesn't sound like it means just Israelites cannot work on weekends... It just tells not to judge you about those things... But I might understand it wrong.

I see. But that doesn't sound like it means just Israelites cannot work on weekends... It just tells not to judge you about those things... But I might understand it wrong.
Well the Sabbath was an actual requirement for Israelites. Colossians is just stating that don't judge those who still observe those celebrations. They are no longer mandatory but it doesn't mean people can't celebrate it. It's optional.

Back