What Is A Christian?

Dec 24, 2018
Seattle
There are many denominations who all believe in the same person... Jesus. This shouldn't be so!

Let us try and come together to find a united approach on what a Christian means, so we can try and put together the body of Christ. The first century Christians are a good example of what followers of Jesus looked like.

Acts 2:44-47,"
And all that believed were together, and had all things common;

45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.

46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

Where is this singleness of heart that the first Christians experienced? Let's strive to bring that back to what we call Christianity today.

What do you believe is a Christian? Please give a thoughtful and prayerful answer. Leave the debates out of this. Let's work towards unity trying to set aside our differences and come to Christ with a broken and contrite heart.

In peace

ModeratorTeam

CFS Moderators
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2007
www.christianforumsite.com
According to the Center for the Study of Global Christianity (CSGC) at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, in late 2018 there were over 41,000 Christian denominations and organizations worldwide. The CFS staff would like to mention that the denominational differences between individuals can create verbal tensions and may result in arguing. Please refer to Forum Rule 3.2b before posting in this thread. Thank you.

ChristianForumSite Rules

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Let us try and come together to find a united approach on what a Christian means, so we can try and put together the body of Christ. The first century Christians are a good example of what followers of Jesus looked like.
Acts 2:44-47," And all that believed were together, and had all things common; 45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need. 46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
Where is this singleness of heart that the first Christians experienced? Let's strive to bring that back to what we call Christianity today. What do you believe is a Christian?
In peace
Hello ConsiderHisAwe;

I want to discuss your thread from another angle, keeping in mind to be submissive to the forum rules which is one way of defining the body of Christ and a profound approach on what a Christian means.

I love Acts 2:42-47. It teaches us the "bond", "one accord" and "faith" with 3000 new believers when Peter preached the Good News. They immediately were discipled and "united" with continued teaching by the Apostles, prayer and fellowship, all pointing to Jesus.

Faith, bonding, one accord, and united was a common ground that defined these early Christians, is called ministry.

Verse 45. I'm not dismissing the programs and events that go on in our churches, today, because many of our Christian churches prayerfully do these as a vision to introduce and give an opportunity for the unreached to accept Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior. When the fellowship of the believers sold their goods to those who had need, this was a wonderful program that encouraged those who received help and the love of believers to grow in their faith.

The breaking of bread was not a ritual, far from it. It is worship of our Lord and Savior.

I believe what a Christian is, is a follower of Christ Jesus and all the verbs above being an attribute to Him.

God bless you, ConsiderHisAwe, and your family.

Reactions: John. T.
Apr 9, 2020
New York
What is a Christian, is a topic I have spent years thinking about. It would be impossible to thoroughly answer it here because the answer could fill a book. However, when asked this question most believers will say a Christian is someone who believes in Jesus. They may even go as far as saying a Christian is someone who accepts Jesus as their Lord. All of this should be true of any Christian.

But I believe a Christian is a person who does the things Jesus said we should do. We can't be a Christian in words only we have to be a Christian in deeds as well. This is hard and I sure know it. I'll even say it can take decades to learn how to obey the Lord in all things. I believe God knows this so He considers how much we are trying. For some of us it's easier than it is for some others of us, and that's okay. What isn't okay are the people who think they can live just like the people of the world live and still be a Christian because of what they believe. To believe a thing doesn't necessarily make that thing so. I might believe I can breath underwater but if I try I'll get a mouth full of water and eventually drown.

We call Jesus our Lord and rightfully so but what many people today don't realize is your Lord is someone you obey.

Feb 10, 2015
Maryland
Let me start with an analogy:

When I entered the Air Force, I took an oath and signed a contract. By those acts, I became an Airman. During my enlistment, I encountered others, some who many who put themselves into their position and did their best to do their part. There were others who either regretted their decision or for some reason did everything they could to avoid responsibility.

Whether or not they were good, effective members of the Air Force, they were still airmen. They had all taken an oath and executed the legal documents. However, what kind of airman is a much different thing.

To be a Christian means that at some point in ones life, he has accepted Christ as his savior. Sometimes it is with only a simple understanding as to what that means, as like a youngster that learns to love Jesus before he can appreciate the subtleties of that decision.

To be an effective Christian meaning one that is a tool useful to the Lord in forwarding the Lords plan is quite a different thing.

As far as the differences that divide us, they are less important in the long view than the fact that each of use has linked his being to the cross.

Thus, I can visit the church of a brother that holds to lesser beliefs that are at seeming odds from mine and be interested in coming to understand his view even if it does not affect my understandings.

I can fellowship with my Catholic brothers, and even discuss the differences between catholic teaching and protestant views without hardening my heart toward them, nor causing my own faith to falter.

Also, after my most recent move, I find many churches in my new area that stem from Armenian traditions (Amish, Menonite, Church of the Bretheren, etc). I have been blessed the each time I have visited one of them without shaking the fundamentally Calvinistic views from my spiritual upbringing.

Nor, do I consider my self, or my understanding fundamentally better than their understanding. If the Lord is using them it is well, whatever is my thought.

What I need to consider is am I following His leading? Do I know why I believe what I believe?

Noe there are also churches that follow teachings that do not Honor Jesus as the fully divine son of the Father. I find myself unable to stretch that far. My heart does not let me consider lesser facets of their faith since they lack the foundation upon which my faith is build. I can still have friendships with members of those churches, but I must guard my heart and hold back from the kind of fellowship I find with others of more truly christian faiths.

Feb 10, 2015
Maryland
Then there is the question of:

If I am a Christian, how will they (the ones who interact with us) know? ... And does it matter.?

How: By showing out Love of God and those around me, particularly to those who also love the Lord.

Does it Matter: YES