What is the Body of Christ?

Hi Big Moose,

Yes, I believe that you have brought up some important questions that people ask. Personally I think that the main reason causing this perception is a wrong understanding of the Body of Christ. If we look at man`s organisations & measure the Body of Christ`s effectiveness by meetings & numbers attending etc then we are looking at man`s efforts.

I believe that the Holy Spirit is working in each member of the Body every day - parents bringing up children, people at work showing a Godly attitude, helps in hospitals, prisons, opportunity shops, schools, etc, etc. Everywhere there are people & relationships the Holy Spirit is working in people`s lives to not only mature that person, but to exhibit through them the Godly character that has already started to form.

God`s purpose is to mature people to be like Christ, & that takes a lifetime. People have been deceived into thinking that activity is big promotions & events, but that is not the reality. God walks with us everyday along life`s different pathways & by His Holy Spirit we are all changing & affecting those around us. This is all `behind the scenes` as it were & not `measurable` by man` standards of `bottoms on seats.`

Marilyn.

Hello @ Marilyn C,

I have not been able to take part in the threads you have introduced on the Body of Christ, for since you introduced them I have been tied up with personal matters. Now that I am (perhaps) in a position to do so, I am finding it difficult to know how to begin. Yet this thread seems the place to begin, with it's question:- 'What is the Body of Christ?'

Replies #14 and #18 are my only contributions so far which concern the fact that the truth of this calling was, 'hid in God' (Ephesians 3:9), until revealed to the Apostle Paul at the end of the Acts period, and that the epistles written by Paul subsequently are the only source of information concerning it. (Eph. Phil. Col. 1&2 Tim. and Titus). Also that this Church is blessed with every blessings that is spiritual. Praise God!

Blessing -
'Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: ...'

(Eph 1:3)

Blessing and purpose - unshakeable grace

'According as He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and without blame before Him ...'

(Eph.1:4a)

Blessings and purpose - Predestination and sonship
' .. in love - having predestinated us unto the adoption of children - by Jesus Christ to Himself,
according to the good pleasure of His will to the praise of the glory of His grace,

wherein He hath made us accepted in the beloved. In Whom we have redemption
through His blood,
the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace;
wherein He hath abounded toward us ... '

(Eph 1:4b-8a)

Blessings and purpose - Revelation of God's unfaltering counsel and the Body's inheritance in Christ.
' ... in all wisdom and prudence having made known unto us the mystery of His will,
according to His good pleasure which He hath purposed in Himself: ... '
'In whom also we have obtained an inheritance,
being predestinated according to the purpose of Him
Who worketh all things after the counsel of His Own will:'
That in the dispensation of the fulness of times
He might gather together in one all things - in Christ,
both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in Him:

In whom also we have obtained an inheritance,
being predestinated according to the purpose of Him
Who worketh all things after the counsel of His Own will:
That we should be to the praise of His glory, who first trusted in Christ.
In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation:
in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession,
unto the praise of His glory.'
(Eph. 8a-14)

* What a revelation to lost sinners! To those far off from God, who were without hope in the world!
* Now, made nigh to God! Now, having a glorious and enduring Hope, in Christ Jesus! (Ephesians 2)

All praise to the glory of His grace!

In Christ Jesus
Our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head
Chris

Hi Complete,

Great to talk with you again. What wonderful scriptures & clear lay out of our blessings & purpose in Christ Jesus. Thank you.

Marilyn.

The "body of Christ" is not made up of only those who are physically alive on this earth, but also all those who have physically died. The Body of Christ is never separated from each other in the realm of the spirit, but only in the physical realm. The greatest of all commandments is this, "that the Lord our God is one Lord" (Mark 12:29) What makes God "one" ? It is his Glory that makes God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit one!! Jesus prayed and told his Father he has given his Glory to us so that we also would be "one" with God!!! Why? So that we would be one in Christ, in the Father in the same way God is one with himself.

John 17:21.. That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
John 17:22.. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

Angels do not live in God, but we do!! This is exactly how a husband and wife become in marriage. "the two shall become one flesh", but with God it says, " He that is joined to the Lord is one spirit" You can not get any closer than that. Then we have this scripture.....

Col 2:9.. For in him (Christ) dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
Col 2:10.. And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
Col 2:11.. In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

God almighty dwells in all of his fullness in Christ, which his his "body"!!!!! And.... We are "complete inside him"!!!! Him who? In him Christ were God himself is appearing in all of his Glory!!!!! This is why it is impossible for God to go anywhere without us as we are living inside him!!

Hi @CCW95A,

Remember that God is omnipresent, `everywhere present, & this we are not nor ever will be able to do. Thus God is everywhere, whereas we, as the Body of Christ will be where He sets us in eternity. We will be able to go through dimensions & realms but not everywhere at once.

I think we need to look at what makes God one – God the Father, God the Son & God the Holy Spirit are one. Now when Jesus was on earth He said – “I & Father are one.” (John 10: 30) Does this mean Jesus was everywhere the Father was? Obviously not. So what did Jesus mean. I believe that He was referring to 3 aspects of `oneness.`

1. UNAMIMITY.

As speech expresses the mind, so the Son as the Word reveals the Father.

“For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God.” (John 3: 34)

“My doctrine is not my Mine, but His that sent Me.” (John 7: 16)

“For I have not spoken of Myself; but the Father which sent Me, He gave Me commandment; what I should say, & what I should speak….whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto Me, so I speak.” (John 12: 49 – 50)

“The Word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father`s which sent Me.” (John 14: 24)

This constitutes unanimity; that is, one-mindedness.

2. EQUALITY.

My Father has been working until now, & I have been working.” (John 5: 17)

Those that heard this statement perceived what it meant, for they said, “He makes Himself equal with God.” (v18) Instead of correcting this impression (as if it were a wrong one) he corroborated it emphatically by adding,

For as the Father raises up the dead & gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will.` (John 5: 21)

“For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself.” (v.26)

“ I do not seek my own will, but the will of the Father who sent Me.” (v. 30)

“As the Father gave Me commandment, even so do I.” (John 14: 31)

These correlatives substantiate equality.

1. UNITY.

“ I & Father are One.” (John 10: 30)

“ Holy Father, keep through your name those whom you have given Me, that they may be one, as We.` (John 17: 11)

“ That they all may be one in us.” (John 17: 21)

“That they may be one, even as We are one; I in them, & you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one.” (John 17: 21 – 23)

This seven-fold use of the word `one` signifies unity.

Thus unanimity, (one-mindness), equality (will) & unity are the three indicative marks of Christ`s divine sonship & reveal His `oneness` with the Father.

Thus for the Body of Christ, being `one` with Christ, is similar. We will operate in harmony with His mind, His will & be equal as `sons` but not as the Son of God.

Marilyn.

Hi @CCW95A,

Remember that God is omnipresent, `everywhere present, & this we are not nor ever will be able to do. Thus God is everywhere, whereas we, as the Body of Christ will be where He sets us in eternity. We will be able to go through dimensions & realms but not everywhere at once.

I think we need to look at what makes God one – God the Father, God the Son & God the Holy Spirit are one. Now when Jesus was on earth He said – “I & Father are one.” (John 10: 30) Does this mean Jesus was everywhere the Father was? Obviously not. So what did Jesus mean. I believe that He was referring to 3 aspects of `oneness.`

1. UNAMIMITY.

As speech expresses the mind, so the Son as the Word reveals the Father.

“For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God.” (John 3: 34)

“My doctrine is not my Mine, but His that sent Me.” (John 7: 16)

“For I have not spoken of Myself; but the Father which sent Me, He gave Me commandment; what I should say, & what I should speak….whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto Me, so I speak.” (John 12: 49 – 50)

“The Word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father`s which sent Me.” (John 14: 24)

This constitutes unanimity; that is, one-mindedness.

2. EQUALITY.

My Father has been working until now, & I have been working.” (John 5: 17)

Those that heard this statement perceived what it meant, for they said, “He makes Himself equal with God.” (v18) Instead of correcting this impression (as if it were a wrong one) he corroborated it emphatically by adding,

For as the Father raises up the dead & gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will.` (John 5: 21)

“For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself.” (v.26)

“ I do not seek my own will, but the will of the Father who sent Me.” (v. 30)

“As the Father gave Me commandment, even so do I.” (John 14: 31)

These correlatives substantiate equality.

1. UNITY.

“ I & Father are One.” (John 10: 30)

“ Holy Father, keep through your name those whom you have given Me, that they may be one, as We.` (John 17: 11)

“ That they all may be one in us.” (John 17: 21)

“That they may be one, even as We are one; I in them, & you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one.” (John 17: 21 – 23)

This seven-fold use of the word `one` signifies unity.

Thus unanimity, (one-mindness), equality (will) & unity are the three indicative marks of Christ`s divine sonship & reveal His `oneness` with the Father.

Thus for the Body of Christ, being `one` with Christ, is similar. We will operate in harmony with His mind, His will & be equal as `sons` but not as the Son of God.

Marilyn.
Sister, I don't know if you know this but, well, I know you don't or you would not have said what you did. If God is every where then why would he tell us to come boldly to the throne room of grace? Why would we need to go somewhere if he is already here with us? The truth of the matter is that God's "presence" with us is everywhere but he himself is not!! How can that be? God's presence with us is not the same thing as us being in his presence, as they are two different things. If we truly understood the "nature" of God this would be easily understood. Remember in Romans chapter one where it says.

Rom 1:20.. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Notice: God created something in the physical world in the beginning that we can see with our physical eyes that gives us a understanding of the nature of God in the spiritual realm. In other words a huge "visual aid" Let me quote some scriptures, and you tell me what it was.

Psa 84:11.. The LORD God is like the sun that gives us light. He is like a shield that keeps us safe. The LORD blesses us with favor and honor. He doesn't hold back anything good from those whose lives are without blame. (NiRV)

Joh 8:12.. Jesus spoke to the people again. He said, "I am the light of the world. Those who follow me will never walk in darkness. They will have the light that leads to life."

Rev 21:23.. And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb.

Mat 17:1.. And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves.
Mat 17:2.. And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became white as light.

What do you suppose God created in this physical world that gives a visual aid to his nature, and eternal power?
It is the "sun"!!! God is not the "sun" but he is "like" the sun!! What does that tell us? It tells us that the rays of light that stream from the sun is the exact the same thing as God's presence with us, as God is "light". It also tells us even though we live in the "presence" of the sun it is still "million" of miles away from us. The Lord God is "close" to us, and yet he is also far away all at the same time!!! If we do not understand this we will come up with all kinds of things that are not correct in our thinking. This is why we are told to come boldly to his throne of grace which is not on this earth, nor is it of this world.
All light must have a place from where it originates from, no matter what kind of light it is. If we know where God sits enthrone in all of Glory that would tell us exactly where his "light" streams from!!!

Psa 132:13.. For the LORD has chosen Zion; he has desired it for his dwelling place:
Psa 132:14.. "This is my resting place forever; here I will dwell, for I have desired it.

Mt "Zion" is where God himself is sitting in all of his Glory, and it is from there his presence streams out to us. Mt Zion is in Heaven, and to where his throne is, and this is where he has called us to come. The Lord God wants our presence to be in his presence. So, God's presence is every where, but he himself is not, and this is where we are sitting in Heavenly places in Christ!!

Last edited:
Sister, we are not the Son of God, but we are sons of God! The Body of Christ is not just a bunch of people all having the same goals in mind, we are actually living inside God the Son as his body, and he is living inside us. For in him we live, move and have our being.

Does this mean Jesus was everywhere the Father was? Obviously not.
This is not true, as God the Father was not only sitting on his throne in Heaven, he was also at the same time dwelling inside Christ reconciling the world unto himself. At no time did Jesus the Word be separate from his Father. Not only was Jesus on this earth doing the will of his Father he was also inside his Father in Heaven. "No man has ascended into heaven, but he that came down from Heaven, even the son of man which is in Heaven" The physical "man" part of Jesus was limited to one place on earth, but not his divine nature which knew all things. Dose the same Christ that dwells in me, dwell in you also? How can this be unless we were given his Glory that makes us one?

Hello there,

The following notes are not mine, but they do express my understanding of the Body of Christ. I include them here, in the hope that you will be interested to see this further aspect of the subject:-

Note:
The Greek word soma which is translated ‘body’ in the New Testament occurs 147 times,
and is translated ‘body’ in all passages except two where it is rendered ‘slave’ (Rev. 18:13) and ‘bodily’ (2 Cor. 10:10).
In the majority of cases soma refers to the actual physical body (Matt. 5:29; 26:12),
in some cases it refers to the spiritual body that shall be given in resurrection (1 Cor. 15:35,37,44).

However, the word ‘body’, is used in 1 Corinthians, Ephesians and Colossians of a believing company
or church, and these apply to the subject of the thread.

The references in 1 Corinthians to the body as a company or church are found in chapters 10 to 12.
* This company are made one body by baptism.

For by one spirit are we all baptized into one body,
whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free;
and have been all made to drink into one spirit

(1 Cor. 12:13).

During the same dispensation and referring to the same baptism, the same apostle wrote of the same company:

‘For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
There is neither Jew nor Greek,
there is neither bond nor free,
there is neither male nor female:
for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed,
and heirs according to the promise’

(Gal. 3:27-29).

* The body therefore of 1 Corinthians 12 is a realization of the promise made to Abraham, and must not be
confused with that which had at that time never been revealed

We must not attempt an exploration of 1 Corinthians 12 without referring to 1 Corinthians 10, for to do so will be fatal to a true understanding:

‘Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant,
how that all our fathers were under the cloud,
and all passed through the sea;
and were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
and did all eat the same spiritual meat;
and did all drink the same spiritual drink

(1 Cor. 10:1-4).

1 Corinthians 12, not only opens with the desire that the reader should not be ignorant, there is the similar emphasis on the word ‘same’, The same spiritual meat; The same spiritual drink (1 Cor. 10:3,4). ‘The same spirit; ‘The same Lord’; ‘The same God’; ‘The same spirit’ (1 Cor. 12:4,5,6,8,9). To refuse to compare these passages and be guided by this comparison is to set aside the principle of interpretation already laid down in 1 Corinthians 2:12,13.

Not only are these repetitions of the desire that the Corinthians should not be ignorant, and the stress upon ‘the same’, but there is also the emphasis upon eating and drinking:

‘They did all eat the same spiritual meat: and did all drink the same spiritual drink’.
‘Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar?’

(1 Cor. 10:18).

‘Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils’
(1 Cor. 10:21).

‘Take, eat: this is My body.
As often as ye eat this bread,
and drink this cup,
ye do shew the Lord’s death till He come’

(1 Cor. 11:24, 26).

These passages cannot be separated from the reference in 1 Corinthians 12:13.

‘For by one spirit are we all baptized into one body,
whether we be Jews or Gentiles,
whether we be bond or free;
and have been all made to drink into one spirit’.

The basis of the argument of the apostle in 1 Corinthians 10 to 12 is the baptism of all Israel unto Moses, and their consequent share in the ‘spiritual’ meat and drink that followed. When he comes to expand and apply this in 1 Corinthians 12, he opens the subject by saying: ‘Now concerning spiritual gifts’ showing that he is now about to develop the typical significance of the ‘spiritual’ meat and drink which ‘all Israel’ enjoyed. Consequently he calls upon all to recognize that while there are most certainly diversities of gifts, or differences of administrations or diversities of operations, these all come from the same Spirit, the same Lord, and the same God. In short the ‘body’ of 1 Corinthians 12 cannot be separated from the typical history of Israel, nor from the possession and use of spiritual gifts. To make it evident that spiritual gifts are the feature of this chapter, let us note the following facts:

1. In the opening verse the apostle introduces the subject with the words ‘Now concerning spiritual gifts’.
2. In verses 2 and 3 he differentiates between those spiritual gifts which are from God, and those that belong to the evil one.
3. Having subdivided his subject, he now deals specifically with those gifts which are of God.
4. In verses 5-11 he sets out in much detail the diverse nature of these spiritual gifts, enumerating among others,
‘healing’, ‘miracles’, ‘prophecy’, ‘tongues’ and ‘interpretation’.
But, however diverse these gifts may be he takes us back to their one and only source:-

‘But all these worketh that one and the self-same Spirit
dividing to every man severally as He will’
(1 Cor. 12:11). Praise God!

5. Extending this idea, the apostle immediately introduces the figure of the body:
For as the body is one, and hath many members,
and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body,
so also is the Christ

(1 Cor. 12:12).

6. This is followed by a reference that links this theme with the baptism of Israel unto Moses and the Red Sea:
‘For by one spirit are we all baptized into one body . . .
and have all been made to drink one spirit’

(1 Cor.12:13).

7. From this develops the remainder of the argument, which speaks of the human body, with its eye, its hand, its foot, and even its ‘uncomely parts’, which proves that ‘the Church which is His body’ is not in view, for there are no ‘uncomely parts’ there, and of that body Christ alone is the head, whereas, here we have as many references to the various functions of the head (eye, ear, nose) as of the rest.

8. To demonstrate that these ‘members’ of the body refer to the distribution and functioning of ‘spiritual gifts’ observe the following feature:
‘But now hath God
set the members every one of them
in the body, as it hath pleased Him’

(1 Cor.12:18).

‘And God hath set some in the church,
first apostles,
secondarily prophets,
thirdly teachers,
after that miracles,
then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues

(1 Cor. 12:28).

Here then is the employment of the figure of the ‘bodydefinitely related to the type of Israel’s baptism unto Moses, definitely related to the possession and the exercise of spiritual gifts, definitely related to the promise made to Abraham, but entirely unrelated to a church, whose members were chosen before the foundation of the world, a church where ‘spiritual gifts’ are unknown, a church whose very existence was a mystery un-revealed when 1 Corinthians was written.

No believer who observes the frontiers set up by Dispensational Truth will never appeal to 1 Corinthians 10-12 as a passage which speaks of the Church of the one body of Ephesians.
-----------------------

Turning now to the epistles of Paul, written after Acts 28:28 written to make known the truth of the Mystery, in order that we may obtain information concerning the Church which is called the Body of Christ.

First let us see the distribution of the word ‘Body’ in Ephesians.

The Body
A (1:23) The Church which is His Body.
B (2:16) Reconciliation.
C (4:4) The One Body.
D (4:12) Gifts for building up.
E (4:16) Fitly framed together.
D (4:16) Members for growth.
C (5:23) Christ the Head.
B (5:28) Love.
A (5:30) The Church and members.

Two passages fall within the doctrinal section, namely Ephesians 1:23 and 2:16, the remaining seven being found in the practical section, chapters 4 and 5. Let us examine the doctrinal passage first, as these will supply the fundamental teaching of Ephesians concerning the ‘Body’.

These references to the Church the Body, are not isolated, but form an integral part of the contextual argument, and just as we found the ‘Body’ of 1 Corinthians 12, to be vitally and inseparably connected with Moses, Israel, Abraham and spiritual and miraculous gifts, so we shall find the reference to the Body in Ephesians 1:23 vitally and inseparably connected with the exaltation of the Saviour ‘Far above all’.

There are seven sections in the doctrinal portion of Ephesians, and Ephesians 1:23 falls within the third of these subdivisions. The following is its analysis:

Ephesians 1:19 to 2:7
A (a) [19] Energy (energeia energeo). Mighty power.
- (b) [20] Wrought in Christ.
B (c) [20] Raised HIM. Heavenly places.
- (c) [20,21] Seated HIM. This age or the coming one.
- ( c) [22,23] Gave HIM.
C The Church THE BODY. THE FULNESS.

A (a) [2:1,2] Energy (energeo). Prince of power of air.
- (b) [2:2,3] Wrought in sons of disobedience.
B (c) [4,5] Quickened US. Heavenly places.
- (c) [6] Raised US. The ages to come.
- (c) [ 6,7] Seated US. In heavenly places.

It is evident from this passage that the Church of the one Body is vitally and inseparably connected with Christ in His exaltation far above allin heavenly places’: this sphere is never spoken of in connection with any other calling but that of the Mystery, which fact of itself lifts the Church of the one Body which is associated with it, into a distinct place in the purpose of the ages, not to be confused with the promises made to Abraham or any other age purpose that belongs to lower realms.

These heavenly places are further defined as - ‘far above all principality and power’ (Eph. 1:21), ‘far above all heavens’ (Eph. 4:10). It is where Christ sitteth at the right hand of God (Eph.1:20), and the superlative and marvel of grace is that this Church of the one Body is reckoned by God not only to be ‘raised together’ but also ‘seated together’ in those self-same heavenly places ‘in Christ Jesus’ (Eph. 2:6).

Then further, the title ‘the Body’ is not the final title of this blessed company. The full measure of grace and glory is realized when we read: ‘The church which is His body, the fulness of Him that filleth all in all’ (Eph. 1:22,23). When the import of this world ‘fulness’ is perceived then something of the place of this company of the redeemed will be realized.

I apologize for the length of these notes, but it is unavoidable.

In Christ Jesus
Our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

Last edited:
Hello there,

The following notes are not mine, but they do express my understanding of the Body of Christ. I include them here, in the hope that you will be interested to see this further aspect of the subject:-

Note:
The Greek word soma which is translated ‘body’ in the New Testament occurs 147 times,
and is translated ‘body’ in all passages except two where it is rendered ‘slave’ (Rev. 18:13) and ‘bodily’ (2 Cor. 10:10).
In the majority of cases soma refers to the actual physical body (Matt. 5:29; 26:12),
in some cases it refers to the spiritual body that shall be given in resurrection (1 Cor. 15:35,37,44).

However, the word ‘body’, is used in 1 Corinthians, Ephesians and Colossians of a believing company
or church, and these apply to the subject of the thread.

The references in 1 Corinthians to the body as a company or church are found in chapters 10 to 12.
* This company are made one body by baptism.

For by one spirit are we all baptized into one body,
whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free;
and have been all made to drink into one spirit

(1 Cor. 12:13).

During the same dispensation and referring to the same baptism, the same apostle wrote of the same company:

‘For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
There is neither Jew nor Greek,
there is neither bond nor free,
there is neither male nor female:
for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed,
and heirs according to the promise’

(Gal. 3:27-29).

* The body therefore of 1 Corinthians 12 is a realization of the promise made to Abraham, and must not be
confused with that which had at that time never been revealed

We must not attempt an exploration of 1 Corinthians 12 without referring to 1 Corinthians 10, for to do so will be fatal to a true understanding:

‘Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant,
how that all our fathers were under the cloud,
and all passed through the sea;
and were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
and did all eat the same spiritual meat;
and did all drink the same spiritual drink

(1 Cor. 10:1-4).

1 Corinthians 12, not only opens with the desire that the reader should not be ignorant, there is the similar emphasis on the word ‘same’, The same spiritual meat; The same spiritual drink (1 Cor. 10:3,4). ‘The same spirit; ‘The same Lord’; ‘The same God’; ‘The same spirit’ (1 Cor. 12:4,5,6,8,9). To refuse to compare these passages and be guided by this comparison is to set aside the principle of interpretation already laid down in 1 Corinthians 2:12,13.

Not only are these repetitions of the desire that the Corinthians should not be ignorant, and the stress upon ‘the same’, but there is also the emphasis upon eating and drinking:

‘They did all eat the same spiritual meat: and did all drink the same spiritual drink’.
‘Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar?’

(1 Cor. 10:18).

‘Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils’
(1 Cor. 10:21).

‘Take, eat: this is My body.
As often as ye eat this bread,
and drink this cup,
ye do shew the Lord’s death till He come’

(1 Cor. 11:24, 26).

These passages cannot be separated from the reference in 1 Corinthians 12:13.

‘For by one spirit are we all baptized into one body,
whether we be Jews or Gentiles,
whether we be bond or free;
and have been all made to drink into one spirit’.

The basis of the argument of the apostle in 1 Corinthians 10 to 12 is the baptism of all Israel unto Moses, and their consequent share in the ‘spiritual’ meat and drink that followed. When he comes to expand and apply this in 1 Corinthians 12, he opens the subject by saying: ‘Now concerning spiritual gifts’ showing that he is now about to develop the typical significance of the ‘spiritual’ meat and drink which ‘all Israel’ enjoyed. Consequently he calls upon all to recognize that while there are most certainly diversities of gifts, or differences of administrations or diversities of operations, these all come from the same Spirit, the same Lord, and the same God. In short the ‘body’ of 1 Corinthians 12 cannot be separated from the typical history of Israel, nor from the possession and use of spiritual gifts. To make it evident that spiritual gifts are the feature of this chapter, let us note the following facts:

1. In the opening verse the apostle introduces the subject with the words ‘Now concerning spiritual gifts’.
2. In verses 2 and 3 he differentiates between those spiritual gifts which are from God, and those that belong to the evil one.
3. Having subdivided his subject, he now deals specifically with those gifts which are of God.
4. In verses 5-11 he sets out in much detail the diverse nature of these spiritual gifts, enumerating among others,
‘healing’, ‘miracles’, ‘prophecy’, ‘tongues’ and ‘interpretation’.
But, however diverse these gifts may be he takes us back to their one and only source:-

‘But all these worketh that one and the self-same Spirit
dividing to every man severally as He will’
(1 Cor. 12:11). Praise God!

5. Extending this idea, the apostle immediately introduces the figure of the body:
For as the body is one, and hath many members,
and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body,
so also is the Christ

(1 Cor. 12:12).

6. This is followed by a reference that links this theme with the baptism of Israel unto Moses and the Red Sea:
‘For by one spirit are we all baptized into one body . . .
and have all been made to drink one spirit’

(1 Cor.12:13).

7. From this develops the remainder of the argument, which speaks of the human body, with its eye, its hand, its foot, and even its ‘uncomely parts’, which proves that ‘the Church which is His body’ is not in view, for there are no ‘uncomely parts’ there, and of that body Christ alone is the head, whereas, here we have as many references to the various functions of the head (eye, ear, nose) as of the rest.

8. To demonstrate that these ‘members’ of the body refer to the distribution and functioning of ‘spiritual gifts’ observe the following feature:
‘But now hath God
set the members every one of them
in the body, as it hath pleased Him’

(1 Cor.12:18).

‘And God hath set some in the church,
first apostles,
secondarily prophets,
thirdly teachers,
after that miracles,
then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues

(1 Cor. 12:28).

Here then is the employment of the figure of the ‘bodydefinitely related to the type of Israel’s baptism unto Moses, definitely related to the possession and the exercise of spiritual gifts, definitely related to the promise made to Abraham, but entirely unrelated to a church, whose members were chosen before the foundation of the world, a church where ‘spiritual gifts’ are unknown, a church whose very existence was a mystery un-revealed when 1 Corinthians was written.

No believer who observes the frontiers set up by Dispensational Truth will never appeal to 1 Corinthians 10-12 as a passage which speaks of the Church of the one body of Ephesians.
-----------------------

Turning now to the epistles of Paul, written after Acts 28:28 written to make known the truth of the Mystery, in order that we may obtain information concerning the Church which is called the Body of Christ.

First let us see the distribution of the word ‘Body’ in Ephesians.

The Body
A (1:23) The Church which is His Body.
B (2:16) Reconciliation.
C (4:4) The One Body.
D (4:12) Gifts for building up.
E (4:16) Fitly framed together.
D (4:16) Members for growth.
C (5:23) Christ the Head.
B (5:28) Love.
A (5:30) The Church and members.

Two passages fall within the doctrinal section, namely Ephesians 1:23 and 2:16, the remaining seven being found in the practical section, chapters 4 and 5. Let us examine the doctrinal passage first, as these will supply the fundamental teaching of Ephesians concerning the ‘Body’.

These references to the Church the Body, are not isolated, but form an integral part of the contextual argument, and just as we found the ‘Body’ of 1 Corinthians 12, to be vitally and inseparably connected with Moses, Israel, Abraham and spiritual and miraculous gifts, so we shall find the reference to the Body in Ephesians 1:23 vitally and inseparably connected with the exaltation of the Saviour ‘Far above all’.

There are seven sections in the doctrinal portion of Ephesians, and Ephesians 1:23 falls within the third of these subdivisions. The following is its analysis:

Ephesians 1:19 to 2:7
A (a) [19] Energy (energeia energeo). Mighty power.
- (b) [20] Wrought in Christ.
B (c) [20] Raised HIM. Heavenly places.
- (c) [20,21] Seated HIM. This age or the coming one.
- ( c) [22,23] Gave HIM.
C The Church THE BODY. THE FULNESS.

A (a) [2:1,2] Energy (energeo). Prince of power of air.
- (b) [2:2,3] Wrought in sons of disobedience.
B (c) [4,5] Quickened US. Heavenly places.
- (c) [6] Raised US. The ages to come.
- (c) [ 6,7] Seated US. In heavenly places.

It is evident from this passage that the Church of the one Body is vitally and inseparably connected with Christ in His exaltation far above allin heavenly places’: this sphere is never spoken of in connection with any other calling but that of the Mystery, which fact of itself lifts the Church of the one Body which is associated with it, into a distinct place in the purpose of the ages, not to be confused with the promises made to Abraham or any other age purpose that belongs to lower realms.

These heavenly places are further defined as - ‘far above all principality and power’ (Eph. 1:21), ‘far above all heavens’ (Eph. 4:10). It is where Christ sitteth at the right hand of God (Eph.1:20), and the superlative and marvel of grace is that this Church of the one Body is reckoned by God not only to be ‘raised together’ but also ‘seated together’ in those self-same heavenly places ‘in Christ Jesus’ (Eph. 2:6).

Then further, the title ‘the Body’ is not the final title of this blessed company. The full measure of grace and glory is realized when we read: ‘The church which is His body, the fulness of Him that filleth all in all’ (Eph. 1:22,23). When the import of this world ‘fulness’ is perceived then something of the place of this company of the redeemed will be realized.

I apologize for the length of these notes, but it is unavoidable.

In Christ Jesus
Our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

Hello again,

I missed the conclusion of my previous entry, which concludes by saying (quote):-

' .... Sufficient has been brought forward to demonstrate the unique character of this high calling, which makes it impossible when once seen to confuse this Church of the Body with the references already considered in 1 Corinthians 10-12.'

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Back