What is worship?

The Bible says to worship in Spirit and in truth. What does that mean? What is worship? Is it any different than praise, which is defined in Hebrews 13:15, which says,

"By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name"?

The Bible says to worship in Spirit and in truth. What does that mean? What is worship? Is it any different than praise,

If the Holy Spirit dwells in a person they can worship by revelation vs only by inspiration.
Inspiration is a sence experience. The Holy Spirit can fall on a false vessel such as Baalim.
Was Baalim's worship was according to God's will? He had the right form but the wrong spirit.
Jesus sending the comforter makes the difference.

Reactions: Juk
The Bible says to worship in Spirit and in truth. What does that mean? What is worship? Is it any different than praise, which is defined in Hebrews 13:15, which says,

"By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name"?

Juk do you know what it is meant by sacrifice of praise ?

Actually, no. No idea.
Ever been so upset or mad or frustrated that praising God was like the last thing you wanted to do ? Oh yea we all have been there.

In those times where you dont feel all fired up about God or or what is going on in your life is one of the very best timjes to enter into praise and worship. You have have to make your self. Humble your self. It may start out sounding like the weord praise is a mean word but that is ok. For once you make the choice to do so and stick with it. Before long you will have drifted up into Him.

It is times like these that we can find answers and or see God move in our behalf.
Sacrifice - do it any way - Love and trust God more - Honor God more then your feelings or situations - Force your self and watch it all mealt away.

God Bless

Worshipping in spirit and truth could be as simple as obeying God's Word in every area, in every command that Jesus spoke. It may not always be simple to do this, but with God all things are possible :)

I have learned to say....i can do all things through Him who gives me strength. Knowing that if God instructs me to do something (through His Word or by the Holy Spirit) that He will give me the strength or money or whatever the tools that i need to carry it out. He is not going to ask or expect us to do something that He doesn't equip us to do. So i no longer say i can't

Blessings

Ever been so upset or mad or frustrated that praising God was like the last thing you wanted to do ? Oh yea we all have been there.

In those times where you dont feel all fired up about God or or what is going on in your life is one of the very best timjes to enter into praise and worship. You have have to make your self. Humble your self. It may start out sounding like the weord praise is a mean word but that is ok. For once you make the choice to do so and stick with it. Before long you will have drifted up into Him.

It is times like these that we can find answers and or see God move in our behalf.
Sacrifice - do it any way - Love and trust God more - Honor God more then your feelings or situations - Force your self and watch it all mealt away.

God Bless
Thanks, that helped a lot.

Someone once pointed this out to me....the word "worship" actually comes from the "worth" and was once pronounced "worthship." It means to express something or someone's worth or worthiness. To worship God is to declare and honor His worth and worthiness.

The first lesson to learn is that the word worship has very little to do with singing songs! Singing is merely one way of expressing worship.

This is from a Strong's on line concordance.-
proskuneó: to do reverence to
Original Word: προσκυνέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: proskuneó
Phonetic Spelling: (pros-koo-neh'-o)
Short Definition: I worship
Definition: I go down on my knees to, do obeisance to, worship.

4352 proskynéō (from 4314 /prós, "towards" and kyneo, "to kiss") – properly, to kiss the ground when prostrating before a superior; to worship, ready "to fall down/prostrate oneself to adore on one's knees" (DNTT); to "do obeisance" (BAGD).

You can see from the above that the prime meaning of "worship" has to be obedience not singing!
We can sing all our life long and never be in a state of honest worship before our creator.
In contrast, we might never sing a single word, but instead listen and do what the Lord says. That is true worship!

For the above reason, there are many times that I have sat down silently during the singing so I can properly read through all the words to decide whether I agree with them!
I then decide whether there are areas of my life where the words of the song are currently not true. I then lay that area of my life down before the Lord. I can then freely get back into the singing with a reference before the Lord that I am specifically applying it to that part of my life.
It should not merely be, "Jesus, I proclaim you as Lord", but, "Jesus I proclaim you as Lord over that specific part of my life."
For me, it is hypocrisy to sing songs blandly, without honestly checking to see whether they are actually true for in my life.

Back