What Would Jesus Do?

Should this be the question always asked by Christians?
Not according to the Bible apparently! The Bible nowhere says that we should "copy" Jesus. What it effective;y says is that we (our "natural self") must die so that Jesus will live in and through us by the Holy Spirit. Not "What would Jesus do?" but " die to self and give over to Jesus that he may do it in and through us".
Jesus told his followers to "Take up your cross daily". For those living in that place and era, a cross meant one thing. Death! The cross was not an instrument of torture but of execution. Sure, it was a very painful method of execution, but its primary purpose was the death of the person crucified, not his suffering. In telling his followers to take up their cross, Jesus was telling them to die daily and they all would have understood this immediately.
Paul put it bluntly in Col. 3:3. He told the Colossians that they were dead as far as their old life was concerned and that the life they now lived was in Christ. The folk to whom he was writing were already Christians and therefore those who had already taken up their cross. (Some of them were apparently starting to stray from this plain belief by teachers of what was probably a version of the Merkabah movement of the Pharisees. These held strictly to the Jewish Law, asceticism and visionary encounters with angels. Paul saw this as adding unnecessary complications to the Gospel. But that is another story!).
In short, don't ask what Jesus would do. Just let him do it!

1 Cor 11:1. Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ.

Eph 5:1,2. Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.

In both these references which I posted from NASB, 'imitators' is rendered as 'followers' in King James version.

One reason we are called Christians is that those around us are invited to see elements of Christ in our lives.

1 Cor 11:1. Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ.

Eph 5:1,2. Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.

In both these references which I posted from NASB, 'imitators' is rendered as 'followers' in King James version.

One reason we are called Christians is that those around us are invited to see elements of Christ in our lives.
But we can only display elements of Christ in our lives if CHRIST HIMSELF is already in our lives i.e. living in and through us by the Holy Spirit. We cannot become like Christ through our own effort.

I guess my unease regarding your post is that it kind of characterizes the life of serving the Lord as dutiful self denial. While this is the Lord can require this, I consider joy in what the Lord does in our lives much more fundamental.

As one makes the things of spirit more central to our thoughts, the less a life in service to Him means a life of the denial of self.

It is like a child who starts out thinking of his own desires and resents family responsibilities and pleasure but as he matures he comes to take pleasure in contributing to family goals and recreation. His selfish attitudes become replaced with family oriented concerns. He no longer feels that his responsibilities are a burdensome 'cross' to bear, but a source of familial warmth.

But we can only display elements of Christ in our lives if CHRIST HIMSELF is already in our lives i.e. living in and through us by the Holy Spirit. We cannot become like Christ through our own effort.
Until we invite Christ into our heart, a new life to give, him in us and we in Him. Nice opening post, your last line says it all. :)

I've always read the KJV that says follow Jesus, not imitate him.
I think there's a difference. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, people say, but it might not be what Jesus wants us to do. He never said 'copy me' but 'follow me'. He was a teacher, and he taught. He wasn't a 'role model' or an idol.

Yes, the Lord cannot begin to transform the prospective believer until he actually accepts Christs payment for their personal sin, and the transformation itself is the work of the Lord, not the work of the believer, but we must do our part and that is not to passively stand aside.

Paul likens the Christian life to a life long race. Any marathon runner will tell you that it is only by personal commitment that one finishes the race. One does not start running when one feels like it nor stops just because they fail to feel motivated. I see no indication that Paul (or Peter or Barnabas) spent much effort getting out of the Lord's way. They were too busy being doers of His will.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (KJV)
24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. 25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

At the end of his ministry, Paul looked back and was confident that he had done the Lord's will by being diligent in his ministry.
2 Timothy 4:6-8 (KJV)
6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Many of the greatest church fathers including Augustine, Aquinas, and Calvin not to mention more recent leaders have said that some of their greatest insights and personal growth came during or as a result of continuing being faithful in prayer and study and performing the task before them even during extended times of dryness where they do not 'feel' the presence or leading of the Lord. When they emerged to renewed joy, they found that the Lord had used the time to teach them important lessons regarding faithfulness and

It is not a matter of getting out of the way, it is learning to be faithful in putting God's word into action, even when we do not 'feel' it.

I guess my unease regarding your post is that it kind of characterizes the life of serving the Lord as dutiful self denial. While this is the Lord can require this, I consider joy in what the Lord does in our lives much more fundamental.

As one makes the things of spirit more central to our thoughts, the less a life in service to Him means a life of the denial of self.

It is like a child who starts out thinking of his own desires and resents family responsibilities and pleasure but as he matures he comes to take pleasure in contributing to family goals and recreation. His selfish attitudes become replaced with family oriented concerns. He no longer feels that his responsibilities are a burdensome 'cross' to bear, but a source of familial warmth.
It is not "dutiful self-denial" but a great joy. I know that, in my own self, I just end up being frustrated in my inability to live as I should. But I am also obscurely aware of a greater "Me" - not "me" at all but the presence of Christ in me. I am far from the best example, but the more we yield to the Christ within, the more "natural" it is to bring forth the fruit of the Spirit.

It is not "dutiful self-denial" but a great joy. I know that, in my own self, I just end up being frustrated in my inability to live as I should. But I am also obscurely aware of a greater "Me" - not "me" at all but the presence of Christ in me. I am far from the best example, but the more we yield to the Christ within, the more "natural" it is to bring forth the fruit of the Spirit.

Then welcome to the REAL world my dear friend. I am very comfortable in saying to you that we all feel the same way.

Paul said the very same thing in Romans 7 which means that the "Sin Nature" is alive and well in everyone of us.

We all as Christians should strive with all our hearts to allow Christ to live through us because it is a labor of love and not a duty to do so as my friend @"Siloam" indicated.

Back