When Jesus died..

At my house. We were playing monopoly and just when he started losing he said. "Oh, I gotta go get resurrected."

lol

Sorry I don't have an answer, we'll wait for someone with an intelligent answer, because that's clearly not me. :D

Seriously

I don't know scripturally where to find that answer. But I think he was in "prison" talking to those who died believing and trusting in God before Christ came. I think he took them to Paradise then. Out of the "prison" they were in. Someone else here will have to tell the real story. Sorry.

Acts 2:31
he foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption.
(ESV)

1 Peter 3:18-20
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, in *which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, because they formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water.
(ESV)

*The "which" refers to the spirit, not to the death :)

My "favorite" story about that time comes from many of the American Indian, Mayan, and Incan tribes that have legends about a man described very similarly to Christ visiting their cultures around that time. They could just be legends that someone created when trying to witness to them, but it was simply a favorite story of mine.

Act 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
There is much debate over this very topic,
Some would take this to mean He went to literal hell but the Greek word used here is shoel or the grave.

There are scriptures to support Jesus going to hell, but I dont know in what context and to be honest it doesnt matter, we know that He did what was needed on the Cross, to secure our salvation, thank you Jesus.

he was in the "belly of the beast", the grave, sheol. He preached to fallen angels, said what up to his peeps in Abraham's Bossom and let them enter his rest. Then he came back and revealed himself to the apostles/many others to be seen in the resurrected form

busy getting the keys of death and hell,and saving the lost souls who had no salvation,in other words Jesus went to hell.or should i say when he got there heaven for 3 days.

There are scriptures to support Jesus going to hell, but I dont know in what context and to be honest it doesnt matter, we know that He did what was needed on the Cross, to secure our salvation, thank you Jesus.
Very well said, my friend :D
Thank you for that, and.........
Thank you Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!
AMEN :smile_anim:

My wife asked me this on Sunday, I quoted the Apostles Creed, "He descended into hell, on the third day he rose again from the dead, and ascended into heaven."

Again though the word used for hell is shoel which literally means the grave .

I always thought He was releasing the righteous souls from hell, who couldn't enter into Heaven because the door to heaven was still locked (as all men were sinners and unworthy to enter) until Jesus came, the perfect sacrifice, and was able to open the gates of Heaven for those who had lived righteous lives but had not been part of the New Covenant. He preached to them the New Covenant, and they were able to enter into Heaven.

I always thought He was releasing the righteous souls from hell, who couldn't enter into Heaven because the door to heaven was still locked (as all men were sinners and unworthy to enter) until Jesus came, the perfect sacrifice, and was able to open the gates of Heaven for those who had lived righteous lives but had not been part of the New Covenant. He preached to them the New Covenant, and they were able to enter into Heaven.

In Spirit but not body as He was not yet resurrected.

Where was he for the three days before he resurrected?

Well, Jesus said in Matt. 12:40: "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly, so shall the Son of manbe three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Can anyone tell me how we can get three days and three nights from Friday afternoon when He was supposedly put in the tomb and Sunday morning when he arose?

Lets look at Scripture-

Jesus told the thief next to Him on the cross- "Today, thou shalt be with Me in Paradise".

An Old Test reference dclares the Son of Man shall suffer the weight of sin in Hell.

Now, if take the Hebre word for Hell and look at its meaning, it is said to have two compartments- 1- of Suffering and Torment for lost souls 2- A comfort compartment for the souls that belong to God.

During Old Test times, animal sacrifices did not remove sin but only covered thier sins. Thus, they could not "be absent from the body present with the Lord at phys. death.

But to avoid torment and suffering, they were taken to "Paradise", the comfort side of Hell. (Read story Jesus told of "Richman and Lazarus".)

Jesus had not been sacrificed as yet for our sins, thus this Parable speaks volumes of where people went at Phys. death up until Jesus rose from the dead.

Another Scripture declares Jesus would Minister to those in Hell. (Actually Paradise). He would be explaining what was to happen for them, after He would be raised from the dead. (The spirits in Paradise would rise up after Christ to "be absent from the body, present with the Lord".

Scriptures declare Christ as the "first fruits of the ressurrection". After God bodily raised Christ, He was seen of some people, then ascended into Heaven to be with God. After that, the spirits of God's Children already dead, were taken out of Paradise and brought to Heaven.

At a later time, the Rapture will happen in which the "dead in Christ- (phys. bodies raised up again with sinuin flesh coming upon them) shall rise first, then those which are alive shall be caught up with them to meet Jesus in the clouds.

These coincide with all other Scripturesalready mentioned.

God Bless!!

Back