When Others Try To Shame Us.

Via dolarossa

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Secretary
How do you respond when someone tries to shame you or put you down?

This has happened so many times in my life, and I am still sometimes affected by a people pleaser record that I have to continually monitor so I can switch off for good without carrying any guilt. it makes me back off and not want to have a satisfying and fuller relationship with people who do this... and It puts a wedge between us.

I remember one time at work where the supervisor tried to shame me privately into doing more, even though I thought I had done more than enough. She expected me to read her mind that she was was tired. My spirit immediately went into sympathy mode that she was just tired. Previous me would have jumped to attention without thought, seeing her condition, and done more...but now I am more cautious of people expecting me to jump when shamed.

Lucky for me, Jesus came in and reminded me, that she only needed to Ask to receive;- but I didn't tell her that, because of her arrogance.

From Matthew 7;7 NIV
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

And I am reminded, it's not my problem if they don't like the answer they get either... if it's not what they want, at least they will have an answer. The rest is not mine to own.

We are not called to be mind readers. We as Christians are to ask and not assume also and believe what we receive.

Nobody has the right to shame anyone, usually over petty things.

There are acceptable ways of talking to each other. If someone shames another person in front of others, I believe that is the wrong way to sort the problem.

Hugs to you Via.

Back