When Traveling I Enjoy Finding Used Bookstores

Whenever I'm in the Portland, Oregon area, Powell's City of Books is a favorite stop. I could spend hours browsing the shelves. Powell's claims to be the world's largest independent bookstore.

Powells-City-of-Books.jpg

I could chill in places like this for hours. New bookstores are okay, but used bookstores are places to find hidden gems that have been out of print or are otherwise difficult to find. The internet of course makes it easier than it ever used to be. I still like touch, feel and examine what it is that I'm buying whenever possible.

Sometimes there are books that I'm just curious if it might be worthwhile. Without physically examining it, it can be difficult to know the contents and otherwise get a sense of the author's approach to the subject.

cp

Getting back to bookstores or libraries, I know in today's times people love electronic books.

I still love good hardcovers and paperbacks that I can browse up and down the bookshelves. It's not that I'm old fashioned but it just seems more personable because other people are there enjoying the same thing.

By the way, when you visited Powell's City of Books did you end up buying a couple of books?

I like Barnes and Nobles and think it's still open. They have a coffee and refreshment section.

I remember Kramer on Seinfeld came out with a book on coffee tables and his book actually folded out into a little coffee table.

I'm currently searching for a book on "browsing in bookstores." lol! Just kidding!

Getting back to bookstores or libraries, I know in today's times people love electronic books.

I still love good hardcovers and paperbacks that I can browse up and down the bookshelves. It's not that I'm old fashioned but it just seems more personable because other people are there enjoying the same thing.

I have electronic books as well, but I like having books easy at hand. I also find when reading that a physical book can be easier on the eyes than staring at a screen.

By the way, when you visited Powell's City of Books did you end up buying a couple of books?

I like Barnes and Nobles and think it's still open. They have a coffee and refreshment section.

I remember Kramer on Seinfeld came out with a book on coffee tables and his book actually folded out into a little coffee table.

I'm currently searching for a book on "browsing in bookstores." lol! Just kidding!

I've been to visit several times and if I remember right. I probably left most of those times with a few books.

My wife personally likes when I visit Barnes and Nobles better because then she can sit and do other things easier. Also my visits their are shorter which always makes her happier.

I have several local used bookstores that I check out when I can, Half-priced Books, Elliot Bay Book Company and a few small shops. Most of the time my Teddie Bear keeps me on a short rope. :(

cp

I didn't know Powell's is a physical book store! I've been buying books from them online the last few years. They have a lot of educational material :)

I think that is the future of bookstores, either entirely online or with both an online presence and a physical presence.

cp

Back