When was Jesus really born? do we know for sure?

A MESSAGE FOR SUKKOT

Scripture portions to read and meditate on:

TORAH: Lev 22:6 – 23:44; Num 29:12-16; Exodus 33:12 – 34:26; 1 Chronicles 24:10
PROPHETS: Zech 14:1-21; Ecclesiastes; Ezekiel 38:18-39:16; 1 Kings 8:2; Jeremiah 10:2-4
BRIT HaDASHAH: Rev 22:104; 1 Thes. 5:1-11; Luke 1:1-80

This is the most joyous of all the High Holy Days. While Yom Terah and Yom Kippur remind us of repentance, and judgment, Sukkot or the Feast of Tabernacles reminds us of YHVH’s provision for His people in the desert for 40 years. All their needs were provided for, their clothing did not wear out, they had food every day, even though many complained of this “same Manna day after day”, well, it is better than starving. Adonai provided water from the ROCK, not only for the people but for their cattle, sheep, and goats as well.

It also reminds us of YHVH coming to dwell among his people in a tent, (Ohel) also called the “Mishkan” or “Tabernacle”. A “sukkah” is a temporary dwelling. Adonai described in detail the plans for the tabernacle to Moshe while he was on Sinai. The whole Tabernacle reminds us and points us to Yeshua. When it was finished, the “Shekinah” came down to dwell there in the HOLY of Holies. In the day, the presence of Adonai took form as a cloud, and at night, as a column of fire.

Today, the presence of the Holy Spirit is within each and every born-again believer. Our own bodies are the “sukkot” of the Spirit of God. The presence of Elohim is also in every congregation of believers that get together on the sabbath and on Sundays to celebrate and study his WORD, and worship, praise, and glorify the LIVING WORD.

In Biblical times, many animals were sacrificed during the seven days of celebration. The sacrifices offered during this time amounted to 189 animals. Even here, we see the symbolism of “Yeshua HaEmet” (Yeshua the Truth). The word EMET, (truth) in Hebrew gematria totals 1+40+400 = 441, then, 4+4+1 = 9, When we add the numbers 189, we get 1+8+9 = 18, then, 1+8 = 9. One part of the sacrifice was to offer, during these days, a total of 70 bulls. The 70 bulls symbolize the 70 original nations that came forth from the three sons of Noah.

Yeshua gave his life not only for His Jewish people, but also for the other nations of the world. He told his own talmidim (disciples) “I have other sheep that are not of this fold” (John 10:16) meaning that his plan was to send his followers to minister to those nations, as we remember, Rav Shaul was a missionary to those “sheep of another fold” and also, the “displaced sheep” that left Israel and went to other nations to live.

During the seven days of Sukkot, there is one extra day, “Hoshanah Raba” and we celebrate it as “Simchat Torah” (The Joy of the Torah). During this day, there was a great ceremony of waving the “Lulav” consisting of 4 species of plants. Each one has a spiritual meaning;

The ETROG which is similar to a lemon, and it symbolizes the heart of man, and our “faith” (Emunah) “repentance” (T’shuvah) “Healing” (r’fuah) and “redemption” (g’ulah)
The LULAV (Palm fronds) the word is similar to “Lo Lev” (to him, heart) to HIM we give our HEART. The lulav symbolizes our “backbone” or “spiritual strength”
The HADAS (myrtle branches) these are similar to “eyes” which symbolize “spiritual insight”
The ARAVAH (willow branches) which grow near water. These symbolize the humbleness of the believer and victory over our enemies. These 4 species are beaten on the ground in the Sukkot ceremony and also waved towards the North, South, East, and West, up and down. Some synagogues do this ceremony during the week of Sukkot, and some on the last day, the 8th day.
YHVH, so far, as come and has revealed himself three times! He has “dwelt” among men these “three times”. When were these three times you might ask?

The first time He came down to dwell with His people was when the Mishkan was finished as we know. The second time was when He came down in the person of Yeshua. God-Man, and lived among his people for 30 some years, teaching the Torah, healing the sick, raising the dead, and to die for our sins. The third time He came down was on the day of Shavuot, or “Pentecost”. God came down as the Ruach HaKodesh on that day, and the Holy Spirit is HIS presence today in ALL believers. Yes, God has revealed himself many more times to different individuals, but I am speaking as a “whole people at once”

Yeshua will come a fourth time in the future, when he returns to “tabernacle” among us on this planet called earth. He will touch down on the Mt. of Olives, and reign for one thousand years, in peace and Holy Rulership, Baruch HaShem! We will be part of that rule. In the prayer book, there is a prayer that says; “In the end, He will reign alone!” Oh, how wrong that statement is. Can you imagine reigning alone? Imagine yourself assigned to rule an island in the ocean, and when you get there, there is no one there. You are there by yourself.

Yeshua will reign, and we will reign with him, and his holy angels will also be present. But now, I’d like to touch on the first physical appearance of Yeshua, and this is where a few might get offended because I am attacking Christmas. Sometimes, the truth hurts and interferes with tradition and custom.

It is believed and it can be proven by mathematics that Yeshua was born around the time of Sukkot, not in December on Christmas day. In Christendom, we hear it said;

“But no one knows when Jesus was born, that’s why, by tradition, we take the day, the 25th of December to celebrate his birth. It is the event and not the date that matters.”Well, I can understand that…yet…Adonai HAS revealed the time of his birth, in a round-about way. It’s like this, If someone wanted to celebrate my birthday and didn’t know that I was born on February the 9th, and decided to celebrate it on, let’s say, May 1st, to remember the “event of my birth” would I be offended? I would say No, I wouldn’t be, I’d understand, however, if I sent a message revealing when I was born, and people continued to celebrate my birthday on May 1st, well, then perhaps I’d be a bit sad. They know the truth yet they still want to keep “tradition”.

Let’s take December 25th. It is the date of the Winter Solstes that the Romans celebrated. They celebrated the birth of all of their pagan gods on that date. They celebrated getting drunk and had sexual orgies. They hung “mistletoe” on the ceiling as decoration for their “sex” capades. Constantine, in his effort to “Christianize” Rome, decided to put “Yeshua’s” birthday with the other “gods”. He thought it would be easier for Rome to accept Christianity if he would mix it with a little bit of paganism. So, if not the 25th of December, then when?

We have to go back and look at John the Baptist. John was Yeshua’s cousin, and he was six months older than Yeshua, so if we know when John was born, we can figure out when Yeshua was born.
We need to understand that the Jewish calendar was divided into 12 lunar months. King David had divided the priesthood into 24 service periods. We can figure that each priest, according to his period of service, served a two-week period in the temple, either offering incense or sacrifices.

Now Zachariah was John’s father. He was a priest, and his turn of service came under the order of “Abias”
“Abias” family would serve a two-week period in the 8th order. (1 Chronicles 24:10) Remember that the Jewish year begins in the month of Nissan, which is equivalent to our March-April calendar month. The 8th turn came between the months of June/July

After performing the service of priest for his two-week period, Zachariah went home, between July and August, Elizabeth became pregnant with John. In the 6th month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, which would have been between December and January, The Angel Gabriel announces to Miriam (Mary) that she would become pregnant by the Spirit of Elohim at that time, which would have been probably in January, so from January to February, one can count the first month of pregnancy, February to March: second month, March to April: third month, from April to May; fourth month, from May to June; fifth month; from June to July; sixth month, from July to August; seventh month, from August to September; eighth month; from September to October; ninth month!

Yeshua then would have been born sometime in October, what a better time to be born than during this last High Holy Day, the time of “Sukkot” meaning; “God comes to live among men” and walk with men and women in human form, fulfilling all the prophecies, being born in “Beit-Lechem” (The House of Bread) It is only fitting that the “Bread of Life” would be born in the “House of Bread”. So, we can say with fair certainty that we know the time of the birth of Yeshua, during the month of October, although we don’t know the exact day nor time, but we can assume that because the Feast of Sukkot symbolizes, “God coming to dwell among men” what better time would be possible for Mashiach to be born?

There are also customs and traditions related to Christmas, that for centuries, have existed. Not to get into every one of them, because that would take many pages, I’d like to consider one aspect, the “Christmas Tree!”
Is it really good to put one up? We can say,

“Doesn’t it look beautiful, with all the decorations? With the ornaments and the gold and silver tinsel hanging? It looks so “Christmassy!” now all we need to do is to put the gifts under the tree and tell the kids that Santa C came down the chimney and… (need I say more?) well…it’s all “Mashugganah! (a Yiddish expression for “nonsense”) but we need to go to God’s Word for the answer. Where did this custom come from? Let’s look at Jeremiah 10:2 -4;
“Learn not the way of the goyim (the pagan nations) and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed by them (talking about astrology and the zodiac signs), For the customs of the people are vain; for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it moves not…”

Even though the Christmas trees look nice, even the fake ones, with all the décor and lights, etc.…it comes from paganism, and as born-again believers, we should NOT practice these customs. So, you might say, what do we say to the kids? Do we cancel Christmas? NO, tell the kids the truth, get rid of the “santa claus” garbage and explain the meaning of Sukkot, one can move the celebration back two months. Get the kids gifts and give them the gifts during the 8 days of Sukkot.

We need to remember finally that these High Holy Days are not “Jewish High Holy days” they are “GODish High Holy Days! Given to ALL believers to celebrate. It just so happened that the People of Israel received them first, and as the “Commonwealth of Israel” grew, and many more peoples or “sheep of other flocks” were grafted in, the blessing of the Torah was passed on to them. Including the High Holy days.

So, now the decision is yours, what to do with the tree, the ornaments, the whole “Christmas in December” deal. That has to be your decision. What does your heart tell you? What does scripture say? What does Jeremiah the Prophet say being directed through the Holy Spirit? “Learn not the way of the pagans!” enough said.

I am sending off this Parashah a little early, since this year, the first day of Sukkot is on Thursday, I will try and send this Wednesday evening during “Erev Sukkot” that way, you have a whole week to plan and celebrate the true “Christmas” time.

Hag Sameach Sukkot

Rabbi Ben Avraham

Back