Whenever We Feel Let Down By Our Own Standards…

Saving this because I need this as a constant reminder.
You and me both. To be honest with you, I don't think I have ever impressed myself by my own accomplishments.

When my wife received her master's, most of her immediate family actually flew into DC to attend the graduation ceremony. I have three master's and I had the schools mail each to my house. I am pretty sure I have never felt much about anything I have accomplished. That's kind of sad. :(

When I interviewed for the job I have right now, I left the first interview sure that it was the worst interview in the history of humanity. I even texted the wife telling her that I "blew it." By the time I got home, I already had an invitation for the second round. Now that I have been here for four years, I now work with every member that was on my interview panel. According to them, I did such a great job in my first interview that they already knew I was going to be offered the position. To this day, I still do not understand how that was possible. Without question, I am my worst critic.

rtm

I am my ow worse critic too.
I feel I could have done better. Having sex out of wedlock, didn't get the counseling I needed, stayed single for a long period of time, should have focussed and faced the unforgiveness I have had towards my multiple abusers along with many other things. I feel like I kind of deserved it and brought it onto myself.

Last edited:
I am my ow worse critic too.
I feel I could have done better. Having sex our of wedlock, didn't get the counseling I needed, stayed single for a long period of time, should have focussed and faced the unforgiveness I have had towards my multiple abusers along with many other things. I feel like I kind of deserved it and brought it onto myself.
Many victims of abuse feel that way. I have worked countless cases where the victims started to second guess themselves. The study of this is called Victimology. No one deserves to be a victim, regardless of the circumstances. It is a choice made by the other person

The pain.
Hm. I will assume you mean emotional pain. I have never experienced the kind of pain you must feel. I have done things I wish I had never done and some that I am ashamed of. While these things" do occasionally creep up in my mind, or heart, I accept that I cannot change history and find some strength in that. Mybe you can use the same approach. You can't change anything that now causes this pain, so maybe the answer is to accept that and now allow yesterday to influence tomorrow???

Hm. I will assume you mean emotional pain. I have never experienced the kind of pain you must feel. I have done things I wish I had never done and some that I am ashamed of. While these things" do occasionally creep up in my mind, or heart, I accept that I cannot change history and find some strength in that. Mybe you can use the same approach. You can't change anything that now causes this pain, so maybe the answer is to accept that and now allow yesterday to influence tomorrow???
Guess. I agree.

I think most of us suffer from our past, it is part of repentance. And perhaps feeling bad that those things happened helps tremendously not to do them things again.

But we can also feel peace instead of pain. If we have repented we are forgiven. We find it hard to forgive ourselves but we are no longer that person. We were born again, we are free, we are loved and we can be at peace. Yet I have had the same problem too. We have been given a lot if promises, why do we find it hard to be at.peace. The past has gone, we are travelling on.

It is not important where you have cone from, it is important where you are going to.

God Bless us All

Back