Which Disciple Is Your Favourite ?

Dusty

Inactive
Which Disciple Is Your Favourite ?

First of all I would like to say that I admired all of the disciples and each one had different personalities and that is why Jesus chose them .

But some how my thoughts go to Peter as he seemed like the favourite of Jesus .

Matthew 16:13-20

Peter's Confession of Christ

13When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?"
14They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."
15"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"
16Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ,[a] the Son of the living God."
17Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter,[b] and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[c] will not overcome it.[d]19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[e] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[f] loosed in heaven." 20Then he warned his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Christ.

I would like to say that probably Peter was my favourite disciple because it seemed like Jesus loved him the most as he said of Peter that he was a rock on which he would build His church . Jesus also offered Peter the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven .

The apostle Peter was an ordinary person just like you and me .
.Peter (who was originally called Simon) met the Lord through his brother Andrew (John 1:40-42).

When Jesus invited him to become a disciple, he immediately left his fishing trade and placed himself under Christ’s authority (Matthew 4:20). He became a passionate follower who consistently demonstrated an eagerness to be near the Saviour and in the middle of whatever was going on. Whether meeting Jesus on the water during a storm (Matthew 14:27-29) or speaking to Him during His transfiguration (Matthew 17:1-5), Peter was devoted to his Master’s service.

In the beginning, the former fisherman was quick to speak and to act, and this impulsiveness created problems for him. For example, when Jesus was talking about His imminent suffering and death, Peter objected, as if he knew better than the Lord. Christ’s rebuke was swift and direct (Matthew16:21-23).and of course we all know his denial and his insistence that he would never deny the Lord. Peter also learned from his mistakes and was later given great responsibility.

Peter is good example of how we should let go of personal desires, and walk with Jesus and love the Lord with all our heart. .

Peter was just a fisherman and unimportant but when Jesus gets involved in our life we become important .

Because of Peter’s impulsiveness , I can in a way relate to him as sometimes I do things without thinking or without praying about it and we all have to learn that those decisions are the ones that we have to pay the consequences for .

I also liked that Peter did venture out of the boat and even though he faultered , he came to the realization that he needed Jesus hand . .and could not walk on his own .
I too need Jesus hand for guidance , support , comfort and strength , cause I cannot do it on my own.

And when Peter denied our Lord ... Peter was repentant and deeply sorry for his actions. This also shows us his humanity as he was humble enough to ask for forgiveness .

We too need to ask for forgiveness for the hurtful things we say to people or even to the point of argueing or flying off the handle instead of being patient . We can't take back the hurtful words we said but we cna be forgiven

Well.............

I would like to say that probably Peter was my favourite disciple because it seemed like Jesus loved him the most as he said of Peter that he was a rock on which he would build His church . Jesus also offered Peter the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven .

Not sure if the interpretation of this is correct. Not my job to point out anything as the question was "Who is your favorite disciple."

For me I would have to go with all that had a part in writing the scriptures as all the Word is eternal and gives life.

Personality wise, I like Paul. Peter was a handful for the Lord at the start of everything.

Be blessed.

If the question were"Which disciple are you the most like?" I would have to say Thomas. I can relate to him very well as I also want to see with my eyes and touch with my hands.
I'm like someone from Missouri, you have to "Show Me."

But if by "favorite" you mean which would I rather party with?

Peter. No doubt. He was a party animal. :D

"Hey, Hop out of the boat Peter." .... :cool:

.................Okay... :shepherd:

Just don't get him angry.
It might cost you an ear. :D

Matthew 16:18
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

Jesus was telling Peter that He is going to build His Church through him. It must have been a great honor for Peter to cherish those words from the Lord. But Jesus didn’t stop there. He said that He would give Peter a set of keys with which he and the Church can bind and loose anything on the earth.

Matthew 16:19
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven

Just as surely Moses was face - to face - with God at the burning bush , the disciples were face - to - face with God in a personal relationship with Jesus . Their encounter with Jesus was an encounter with God . To hear from Jesus was to hear from God .

When I walked on Israel soil last year , it was an experience that I shall never forget , to walk where Jesus walked , to see the walled city of Jerusalem , to get baptised in the river Jordan , to float on the Dead sea. , to eat Peter's fish to take a trip on the sea of Gallillee and have a demonstration from a fishman as to how the disciples fished ... to see a boat found on the bottom of the sea that could have been the disciples boat

And to know that Jesus Christ lives today and He lives in and though me . What must it have been like to the disciples .

Personality wise, I like Paul.

Haha! Me too! Paul is amazing!

Here is what Peter said regarding Paul:

even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you
2 Pet 3:15

Peter acknowledges the wisdom given to Paul. And this wisdom is so great that he wrote further that:

As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood
2 Pet 3:16

This wisdom was so colossal that even Christians have trouble understanding his letters.

No doubt Paul's gift was extraordinary.

Here is Paul's admission to it:

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure
2 Cor 12:7

To protect Paul from exaltation, God has allowed this thorn to be given to him.

Paul is the luckiest among all the apostles to have such wisdom. And for this reason, I like him. I like him very much

Thanks John .... That is a good summary about Paul . Can you see yourself 'In him " or was that just an observation ?

Cuase I can see myself in Peter ...." Impulsive ". Sometimes when I go to the store and see something I think I like and then later on I say " Why did I ever buy that ?" .... LOL

Can you see yourself 'In him "

Oh, no, never. I'd be lucky if I'd be half the man that he was.

Cuase I can see myself in Peter ...." Impulsive ". Sometimes when I go to the store and see something I think I like and then later on I say " Why did I ever buy that ?" .... LOL
Haha! Funny! Happens to me all the time :)

Being as we are talking about disciples and Jesus I would just like to add :

Just as surely as Moses was face- to - face with God at the burning bush , the disciples were face - to - face with God in a personal relationship with Jesus. Their encounter with Jesus was an encounter with God . To hear from Jesus was to hear from God .

John 14:9....... Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

Because we have been in the Old Testament in our studies at church I now can relate that Moses in his day was not Christ but he was a type of Christ in that he experienced and lived a lot like we see Christ living in the New Testament.

John 14:6.... Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

It has always been Peter for me. Why? Because he, like me, frequently suffered from foot in mouth disease! He is inspirational! Of course my heart goes out to him when he denied Christ and wept bitterly. This one act is a testament to how all of us would have reacted I feel.

It's hard to choose but the one that sticks out the most to be is Peter. She believed, when most of the disciples didn't. He was the most faithful (well, until he denied Jesus three times) But it shows us that even if we say we will never deny Christ... it can happen to us. Maybe not in that way (because most of us have freedom. We don't have a gun to our heads and the person behind the weapon asking us to renounce our faith) but in others. When you are with friends, do they know your Christian? Maybe when you meet someone new. Do you speak of your faith. When you don't, your doing what Peter did... denying Christ. Your afraid what people will think if you, you would rather them not know your faith.

My favorite is John. Because he even described himself as 'the disciple that Jesus loved'. He never refered to himself as John. He was closer to Jesus than the others and I want to be as close to Him as a person can be.

Now if we went back to the Old Testament, there are so many great followers of God. I'd say my favorite was Elijah.

Once in awhile I think Elisha since he got a double portion. And even when he was dead, there was still enough power in his bones to resurrect the dead!

2 Kings 13:21
And it came to pass, as they were burying a man, that, behold, they spied a band of men; and they cast the man into the sepulchre of Elisha: and when the man was let down, and touched the bones of Elisha, he revived, and stood up on his feet.

My favorite disciple is John, "the disciple that Jesus loved" who leaned on Jesus breast...

(Joh 19:26) When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!

He entrusted His Mother to Him!

(Joh 20:2) She runneth therefore, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we know not where they have laid him.
(Joh 21:7) That disciple therefore whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. So when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his coat about him (for he was naked), and cast himself into the sea.
(Joh 21:20) Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; who also leaned back on his breast at the supper, and said, Lord, who is he that betrayeth thee?

He also wrote the finest portions of the New Testament in the Epistles of John.

He is so full of LOVE! :)

Blessings to all of you!
Son of Jesus

Back