Why Christians are Leaving Church

Hey friends, I made this video for my fellowship about reasons why people leave church, and I'd love to hear your thoughts about what I mention in the video.

I'd love to hear anything insights from your own experience and your own wisdom
clear.png

Thank you...

This Reminds me of the series that that our pastor preached....
http://www.flcbranson.org/php/mlmMe...tionID=171&collectionName=Mercy Over Judgment

And always remember... that what you heard as far as that story goes, is only one side and what the media wanted you to hear. So be cautious to form opinions or judgements off of what the media or anyone else says. For no one truly knows what's in a person's heart... except the Holy Spirit and the person's spirit.

Blessings

Just commenting on the OP question.
Sometimes christians will leave one church to go to another one the Lord calls them to. They havent left Him, just that particular church fellowship, because physically we cant be in two places at once.

I dont know why christians would ever want to leave the body of Christ I dont think thats possible, but the enemy is always trying to pull it apart. JEsus has promised he will never leave us or forsake us, though believers can fall from grace and be far away from Him at times. The Good shepherd calls his sheep and goes out looking for any that are astray. And the sheep listen because they know His voice.

Hey friends, I made this video for my fellowship about reasons why people leave church, and I'd love to hear your thoughts about what I mention in the video.

clear.png

I agree on what you mentioned in the video and I would say it is a good one that it delivered the message: Love is the core when reminding one another

I google the case, interesting case. Am not a lawyer, but I found it more objective or factual on this site: https://law.justia.com/cases/oklahoma/supreme-court/1989/10494.html

I think the point of the case is knowing when to stop and let God and just pray for the betterment of a brother or a sister.

Question now is what is those actions that we need to know when to stop:

Forgiving one another?: I see no verses advising us to stop.
Spreading the gospel?: I see verses advising to “shake off the dust from your feet”

On the case mentioned: when to stop the disciplinary procedures (or is it a right or legal word to use*) when one already gave an intention to leave the congregation? I see the latter verses seems to say to stop…

*excerpt from the site mentioned: "Parishioner became subject to the disciplinary procedure set forth in Matthew 18:13-17.

The related verse mentioned in the case: for study/comments: I see the latter verses seems to say to stop…

MT 18:13 And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray.
MT 18:14 Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.
MT 18:15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
MT 18:16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
MT 18:17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

Last edited:
While there are times when one must aid a brother in confronting problems in his life, our most critical assessment should be made when we are looking in the mirror.

As for those considering leaving their congregation, while there may be reasons to change congregations from where one is more concerned with controversy than with the message of the church to one where one may be a committed worker for the Lord, we should do so prayerfully and without rancor for the prior church home.

Ephesians 4:1-7 [ NASB ]:
[1] Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called,
[2] with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love,
[3] being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
[4] There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling;
[5] one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
[6] one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.
[7] But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift.
(my Emphasis)

Remember that there is often more than the two sides involved. Much is also potentially seen by outsiders. Particularly if a brother is being denounced from the pulpit.

It is Christ's command in John 13:35 that outsiders can see love at work within the community of believers.

If one is falling back on some concept of 'tough love', being brutally honest rather than exhibiting understanding and the willingness to help, that one is treading in dangerous territory.

A strong Christian that lived a life of service, helped me and my family many times, and served as a deacon in his congregation was publicly rebuked at that church as an unsuccessful father because his son was an unwed father.

The result was that a strong supportive member who worked in many ways, and his family, left that congregation.

For some reason, those sins involving sexual improprieties seem to be denounced and the offenders named at a much greater frequency than other sins (like lying, cheating, meanness of spirit). I do not think that is because instances of untruth telling or hardness of spirit are less often encountered.

Thank you...

This Reminds me of the series that that our pastor preached....
http://www.flcbranson.org/php/mlmMediaChannelCollectionContentList.php?site=flcb&channelID=1&languageID=EN&collectionID=171&collectionName=Mercy Over Judgment

And always remember... that what you heard as far as that story goes, is only one side and what the media wanted you to hear. So be cautious to form opinions or judgements off of what the media or anyone else says. For no one truly knows what's in a person's heart... except the Holy Spirit and the person's spirit.

Blessings
excuse my late reply Cturtle! had a hard first week at a new job.....thank you for sharing that story.......its quite eye opening to our behaviour...

Keith Moore is your pastor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I looooooooooooooooooooove Keith moore!! I think he's one of the best in the world at what he does.....

wow.......I am so happy to be connecting with someone who goes to his church.>> when I lost my job I listened to Keith Moore on repeat.....his sermons got me through some really tough times! Praise God!!

excuse my late reply Cturtle! had a hard first week at a new job.....thank you for sharing that story.......its quite eye opening to our behaviour...

Keith Moore is your pastor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I looooooooooooooooooooove Keith moore!! I think he's one of the best in the world at what he does.....

wow.......I am so happy to be connecting with someone who goes to his church.>> when I lost my job I listened to Keith Moore on repeat.....his sermons got me through some really tough times! Praise God!!

Jim (fcj) and i actually attend virtually. And yes he has been used of the Lord to give us much wisdom and has used it to change our lives so much for the better. The current series we are gleaning from is act of fear.

We will be praying for your new job

Blessings
Fcj and Cturtle

Have watched the video.
I havent heard of that situation happen before that sounds extreme and not handled the way Jesus would have handled it. Jesus told the women caught in adultery that he didnt condemn her and to sin no more, but before he did that he wrote some words on the ground. Dont know what he wrote but it affected all the people that were accusing this woman, and also we dont know about the man she was being adulterous with either.

this woman did actually repent and was forgiven much mostly because Jesus showed kindness which leads to repentance. He could have stoned her, but then all the people that were accusing her were they not without sin too.

The way we deal with sexual offences nowadays is in the courtroom usually in divorce proceedings, not stoning as it happened in the bible. Fornication though was a bit different because it didnt involve a married couple. For that was quite common in the early church amongst gentiles as a way of life that one of the requirements actually was stated that new believers abstain from fornication. Even flee from fornication if tempted.

If we want to help believers get right with God its enough that he convicts us that fornication is wrong and gives us the strength to flee or say no to it. I dont know all the ins and outs of the situation as presented in the video but I wonder if it was a case of adultery or fornication, and if so we ought to pray and ask God for widsom when dealing with those caught in this sin.
We also must remember that Jesus said those that looked at a woman not their wife with lust in their heart was just as guilty of adultery as being caught in the act. So He knows it begins with our hearts,and if our heart is not clean we have no right to judge another person if we are guilty of the same offence.

When David was comitting adultery with Bathsheba and tried to hide it, Nathan lovingly convicted him I supose you could say, and the psalm David wrote showed us that he asked God for a new heart when he repented.

Last edited:
Want to add from own experiences, that I've come across. I dont know the full story of every party involved but I can only say what I know happened.

A christian workmate married a very charismatic guy who was like an travelling evangelist and she had a son, but discovered he was comitting adultery so she split with him. She held on to her faith, but he continued on as a wolf in sheeps clothing going from church to church. I heard he even spoke at the church I attended and others in the congregation sensed he was a bit off in his message. He was not welcomed back at that church and heard he offended many people there. But I dont know if everyone knew he was an adulterer, I only heard it from his fomer wife.

I got to know a daughter whos parents are divorced and both now go to different churches. It was the dad that was unfaithful and had another child with the adultress (who as far as I know, was not a believer) but the she didnt stick around. It was the mother who divorced the dad. So, even though they are divorced and not reconciled, both parents still have a relationship with God and they actually attended the baptism of their daughter together, at their duaghters request at her dads church. The mother still has to work through unforgiveness in her heart and as for the dad as far as I can tell he repented and is not seeing anyone. I cant imagine what that was like to go through at the time but there are a lot of divorced and seperated people at church, not just widows and unmarrieds. If anything the fact that they are there shows Gods mercy and love for them and willingness to heal the broken.

The other case was my neighbours daughters marriage. From a christian family and married to a christian husband, with four children, yet this wife commited adultery with her husbands best friend who was also married and attending the same church. More complicated was that his wife was seeing another woman, and he had gender issues. Both couples, now split ended up leaving the church, it was the husband who announced one .sunday the split.

He ended up going to a different church and taking the children with him. My neighbour and their neighbour informed me of what happened, as the husband did not go into all the details. The husband was heavily involved with church, sunday school, youth pastor and various minstires while the other couple were on the worship team. At the time it was a shock as we didnt have any idea their marriage was on the rocks. I discerened something was off with the best friends attitude toward women but thought nothing of it. I had attended their wedding years ago and did not dream that this could happen. But it had probably been going on for some time.
The wife is still friends with some of the ladies at this church and sometimes takes her youngest daughter to youth events, but she herself never reconciled or repented and is still apparently with the one she commited adultery with (hes known as the childrens 'uncle'.). Her parents know their daughter is in the wrong and are sorry that she would throw away her marriage like this. But am sure they tried to talk to her but she wouldnt listen. The husband was devastated over the betrayal and many times was showing he wanted to forgive his wife but she refused him.
As for me, knowing my neighbours daughter from birth practically I just have to treat her as an unbeliever. This is not to say snub her or anything but she had chosen to break her vows and disobey God, and shes not going to church out of her own choice not because anyones told her to leave. I dont know if the other couple were told to leave but the treachery was almost like anais and sapphira. You cant lie to the holy spirit.

What ive learned is, no believer leaves the church if they are faithful to God. It might be that they dont go back to a particular church fellowship because its got painful memories or they want a fresh start, or are dealing with some issue and need some space to heal but truly nothing can separate us from Gods love. God will reach out and He knows who are His.

If an unbeliever goes to church they can pretend for a while but they are actually free to leave at anytime. So I wouldnt say christians -believers are leaving the church. After all Jesus never leaves nor forsakes us. Hes always calling us back to Him.

I left any formal vestige of a religious organization or denominational ‘church’ behind years ago. I visited quite a few. I was not growing in faith and knowledge of the Lord. Most Bible studies were a drag on my growth. The preachers were teaching unscriptural things. They were more of a controlled club. Since then I congregate with Christians through other means, in the neighborhood, at the community pool, online, like here. I learn so much more this way and it feels right. My knowledge of God and his word has increased 10 fold in last 30 years compared with the first 30 years of my life.

False teachers would be one reason why believers will not go to a particular church too. The Bible days mark those and avoid them, they are spots on your feasts of charity. I recall I was staying with a christian family and they no longer went to the local church but held services/gatherings in their own home. Why because the new pastor there was fleecing the flock.

I left any formal vestige of a religious organization or denominational ‘church’ behind years ago. I visited quite a few. I was not growing in faith and knowledge of the Lord. Most Bible studies were a drag on my growth. The preachers were teaching unscriptural things. They were more of a controlled club
Greetings,
Sounds like pride to me.
There are no lone rangers in the body of Christ.
We are ALL to be sitting under the authority of a shepherd.

Those who walk away from sitting under a pastor and go it alone, don't truly develop unto a true maturity in Christ.
Blessings
FCJ

Why because the new pastor there was fleecing the flock.
That's a bold and dangerous statement to make especially on hear say.
My point is, were you there overseeing the books and can account for every penny that came in and where it went?
Again because you just judged this pastor with your own words.
Blessings to you

clear.png

Hello love said walk;

You did a good job articulating your message of including love and gentleness to a brother or sister when pointing out their fault. Do you speak often to groups of people in ministry? I do remember the story about the woman with 4 children and the Oklahoma church in 1980 but I would like to stick with the verb of your thread.

It is sad when a Christian leaves the church but I agree what was said in this thread, many Christians leave the church only to seek another church, for various reasons. That is a big difference from leaving the church altogether and proclaiming apostacy. If a person practiced Christianity for a little while and didn't take salvation seriously, then they were not really truthful about receiving Christ in the first place.

When people leave the church setting for a small home church, it should be to glorify God. But if its to withdraw from working out people problems, I do understand some Christian relationships just cannot work it out. It happens, just like the Christians who leave the church altogether for the sole reason that they just don't want a relationship with Jesus.

But the majority of Christians that want to bond in the fellowship, need to realize that Christians are about being in people relationships. Why? So we can all grow in the body and relationship with Christ. Thats what we do.

Lets share about the positive side of the Christian church and community. We are seeing incredible growth of new believers in the Koreas, China, India, the Bible Belt in America, while the 3rd wave or Pentecostal Church is growing in the Central and South Americas and Africa.

At the church I serve, our missions ministry provides preliminary reports annually, and the results in 2018 will be very encouraging. People are coming to Christ Jesus!

For example, in a 10 year comparison, in 2008 preliminary reports from World Religion, World Christian Encyclopedia, Operation World and the Pew Research Group all consistently reported Christians being the largest religion at 2.2 billion or 33% and in 2017 2.1 billion or 32%. Muslims were second at 1.387 billion or 21.09% and in 2017 1.3 billion or 19.60%.

In your video, Why Christians Are Leaving The Church is directed at the people problems we're having in the church, Sal, then I concur with you, brother.

A Spiritually mature Christian will discern that 9 times out of 10 the trials in the church are people problems, and 9 times out of 10 the people problems are the main reason people leave the church. Only to find another Christian church with new people.

A mature Christian is not going to leave the church because the building has a leak, or the church can't afford to throw a Christmas party, or the new pew Bibles are paperbook instead of hardcover, or the cookies at the bake sale were oreos instead of vanilla wafers. We can bring resolve to these issues in the church.

God sees everything ongoing in His churches on all four corners of the earth. How dare any of us claim to know what Jesus himself does not know.

Pastors Shepherds, God has given you a huge responsibility, to solidify the structure of the sheep pen. Jesus chose his Shepherd with a Shepherd's heart, a gentle spirit that feeds his church family the Word of God, he protects them from false doctrine and sinful behaviors, and helps them serve God. The Pastor consults other Pastors. The Pastor studies and must continue to study so he doesn't become limited in his teaching. This benefits the sheep who follow their Shepherds.

God's wrath is on the Pastor who grumbles against his sheep. Pastors, respect the intelligence of the church family. Hear them out but don't grumble behind their backs.

Pastors Shepherds, if you are making mistakes that lead to sin, promiscuity with women members or outside the church, dabauchery when no ones looking, a contentious spirit with the men, mishandling money, this becomes a cancer that will spread amongst the congregation. If you cannot walk away from sin, then don't wait to be caught and voted out. God knows your heart and it is best to step down on your own instead of keeping it a secret from your church family.

Church family, servants, leaders, musicians, and nominal Christians, please, always pray for your Pastor. He already took on huge responsibilities when he accepted the Pastoral Calling. Love and pray for your Pastor because he is going to make mistakes, lots of them and if the mistakes point to Jesus, then the more you need to pray for your Pastor. Uplift him for doing 9 things right but don't condemn him when he does 1 thing wrong. Here's wise counsel, please forgive him.

God's wrath is on the church member who grumbles against his or her Pastor. Who are we to tell God He made a mistake with appointing His Shepherd? Church family, you may not agree with the appointment of your Pastor, but please respect his calling. Speak with him. God already sees all, and if need be will make changes in His time.

Finally, love said walk, I'm not dismissing the woman with the 4 children but these points were about the overall people problems in the church and ways we can help miminize Christians leaving the church. When you present your next message on video, please look at all angles so all sides are presented, brother.

God bless you and your family.

That's a bold and dangerous statement to make especially on hear say.
My point is, were you there overseeing the books and can account for every penny that came in and where it went?
Again because you just judged this pastor with your own words.
Blessings to you
It wasnt my own words, that church split because of it. You can ask them if you like. The pastors wife started up a cafe and was using funds from the offerings to finance it. The family (and many members of that church) didnt want to sit under a pastor who was not transparent with the church funds. The cafe wasnt a ministry it was a private enterprise.

I dont think it was an easy decsions to leave a church they had been going to for several years. Of course God knows who is right and who is wrong. I just say fleecing the flock because sadly, this is what some wolves in sheeps clothing set out to do. Rob parishioners blind.

Last edited:
I think sorting out people problems the best strategy is through prayer.

Jesus had a problem with Peter, who at various times seemed to really push the envelope with Jesus. And Jesus actually did go to Peter and tell him off. Jesus also prayed for him that his faith would not fail. Even when Peter denied him three times. He was forgiven.
On the other hand, there was nothing he could really do about Judas, who Jesus knew, was going to betray him. Judas did not reconcile, he killed himself before he got the chance. Jesus prayed for all his disciples except for Judas because he knew he was the one who was going into perdition.

Some people go out from the church because they actually were not part of it in the first place. They dont really know Christ. Cos if they did, they would obey Him. You need to be a called out believer to be part of the church not just an attender. Its spiritual, not just a physical presence.

Christians leave the church only to seek another church, for various reasons.
When people leave the church setting for a small home church, it should be to glorify God. But if its to withdraw from working out people problems, I do understand some Christian relationships just cannot work it out.

Greetings,
What I have learned over the years concerning the church and membership.

God has a specific Church in which He has planned for you to attend.
.....there you will find the Grace for growth, provision and health and everything else .

It is our responsibility to find out from God where this church is and plant ourselves there.
We are to stay there being a blessing and servant until He and He alone moves us.

This makes all the human reasons for leaving null and void.

Far too many new church start ups are because members were offended and did not like this or that or did not like what the leader taught.
ALL FLESHLY REASONS which take you out of His perfect will for you.
Now you miss what God intended.

There is a move in the body of Christ out of ignorance and deception.
This move is backed by hell itself.

Why it's the leave church and authority and do it on your own.
It's calling things of God as things of the devil.
......false teacher and judging
It's a move of deceived believers UNWILLING to be taught. They lack Understanding so they claim false teacher.
They claim fleecing the flock again out of ignorance.

Friends if you fall into this mentality. ..REPENT and get back in right standing.

If you have friends like this.....run fast and get back in right standing with God.

satan has been deceiving believers since the garden and has turned up the heat in this season.

God can take care of His own.
Most leaders who get attacked by believers continue to flourish and Prosper in the things of God.
Why is that? Because they ARE DOING THE WILL OF THE FATHER.

it's the accusers who ultimately end up falling and lacking in the Ways and things of God.

Bottom Line.
Attend the church God says
Stay there and walk upright before God
Crucify the FLESH

Blessings
FCJ

I wouldnt say its out of ignorance if they had prayed and God had told them to leave plus, they still worshiped hIm just in their own homes with other believers, and GOd expanded their ministry he had called them in their own home so it couldnt be that they were going after the devil. They actually already had a ministry outeach through hosting wwoofers on their property, so were already given to hospitality, and this was actually FREE with meals cooked and food grown from their own land it wasnt you had to pay them to stay.

Unlike say a cafe business in which you have to pay to have a cup of coffee, and who knows if the coffee is even fair trade. Plus coffee is a rather addictive substance. It is not like it was a one church town either. Why did they not go tothe other church, well God had called them out of the other one, but the reasons they gave was one of their sons died young and after his funeral going to that church it just bought back too many memories. It wasnt because of any false teaching or anything like that. If there are false teachers, you dont continue to sit under them thinking you are going to learn anything. You test the spirits to see if they are from God. He does not leave you ignorant if you ask Him.

False teachers have been around since the early church they are nothing new, and we are advised to expose them so they cannot continue to decieve others.

Why was God so hard on anais and saphira, striking them dead it was because they LIED to the holy spirit. IF they had continued on in the church with their decption others would have been led astray, thinking oh just because I make a big show of donating allI have to the church God will be pleased, but really its ok to just keep some of it for myself.

Church is not a busness or property portfolio you can flip for your own ends.

Last edited:
Back