Why Sit We Here Until We Die?

Daniels

Inactive

· BACKGROUND: 2 Kings 6 & 7
Joram – King of Northern Israel (capital city Samaria)
Ben-hadad – King of Syria (capital city Damascus)

· 2 Kings 7:1-4 (KJV) Then Elisha said, Hear ye the word of the Lord; Thus saith the Lord, To morrow about this time shall a measure of fine flour be sold for a shekel, and two measures of barley for a shekel, in the gate of Samaria. [2] Then a lord on whose hand the king leaned answered the man of God, and said, Behold, if the Lord would make windows in heaven, might this thing be? And he said, Behold, thou shalt see it with thine eyes, but shalt not eat thereof. [3] And there were four leprous men at the entering in of the gate: and they said one to another, Why sit we here until we die? [4] If we say, We will enter into the city, then the famine is in the city, and we shall die there: and if we sit still here, we die also. Now therefore come, and let us fall unto the host of the Syrians: if they save us alive, we shall live; and if they kill us, we shall but die.

· SAME CRISIS – TWO REACTIONS!

· John Eldredge (in Waking The Dead): “The story of your life is the story of the long brutal assault on your heart by the one who knows what you could be and fears it.”

· Albert Einstein: The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

· Problems are always the doorway to the next level of growth – that’s why God allows us to experience them.

· Albert Einstein: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

· The royal officer was skeptical – and he was also content with the status quo. But the status quo was DEATH! (“I’ll die this way!”)

· The word “dead” can be used in a wide variety of applications …

Dead Water … something that is stagnant
Dead Town … something that is devoid of activity
Dead Party … something that is lacking excitement
Dead Coals … something that has grown cold
Dead Motor … something that has broken down
Dead Volcano … something that is dormant
Dead Language … something that is no longer relevant
Dead Soil … something that can no longer sustain life
Dead Wire … something that is disconnected from its source
Dead Tired … something that is worn out and exhausted
Dead Inside … something that is numb or unresponsive
· The message to Sardis is God’s message to many churches today:

Revelation 3:1b (NLT) I know all the things you do, and that you have a reputation for being alive—but you are dead.

· But the four lepers (the most unlikely candidates to deliver the city!) had a different spirit. If we go back, we’ll die! If we sit here, we’ll die! If we go forward, we MIGHT die … but we might LIVE! (They hadn’t even heard Elisha’s prophecy and they still were willing to move!) They had the spirit of …

JACOB: Genesis 43:14 And God Almighty give you mercy before the man, that he may send away your other brother, and Benjamin. If I be bereaved of my children, I am bereaved.

JOAB: 2 Samuel 10:12 (NIV) Be strong and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The Lord will do what is good in his sight.

JONATHAN: 1 Samuel 14:6 And Jonathan said to the young man that bare his armour, Come, and let us go over unto the garrison of these uncircumcised: it may be that the Lord will work for us: for there is no restraint to the Lord to save by many or by few.

ESTHER: Esther 4:16 Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.

PAUL: Acts 21:13 Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.

JESUS: Luke 9:24 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.

· When they were willing to move forward into hostile territory, they found out that God had been there before them to bring deliverance!

· When they returned to the city with the news, the king doubted at first. But when he sent soldiers to check it out, they found out it was beyond their wildest dreams.

· True to form, the royal official was in his usual place, in charge of the gate (trying to keep things “regulated”). But this time, he was trampled to death. He never tasted one morsel of the miracle because he refused to believe it in advance!
IT SHALL COME TO PASS!

Numbers 11:23 (KJV) And the Lord said unto Moses, Is the Lord's hand waxed short? thou shalt see now whether my word shall come to pass unto thee or not.

Ezekiel 12:25 (KJV) For I am the Lord: I will speak, and the word that I shall speak shall come to pass; it shall be no more prolonged: for in your days, O rebellious house, will I say the word, and will perform it, saith the Lord God.

Mark 11:23 (KJV) For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.

Micah 4:1 (KJV) But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the Lord shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it.

Isaiah 2:2 (KJV) And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

Joel 2:32 (KJV) And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the Lord hath said, and in the remnant whom the Lord shall call.

Isaiah 10:27 (KJV) And it shall come to pass in that day, that his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing.

Zechariah 14:7 (KJV) But it shall be one day which shall be known to the Lord, not day, nor night: but it shall come to pass, that at evening time it shall be light.

Romans 9:26 (KJV) And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.

Acts 2:17 (KJV) And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God,I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

A DAY IS COMING THAT WILL BE SO MIRACULOUS IT WILL MAKE US FORGET ABOUT “THE GOOD OLD DAYS!”

Jeremiah 3:16 (KJV) And it shall come to pass, when ye be multiplied and increased in the land, in those days, saith the Lord, they shall say no more, The ark of the covenant of the Lord: neither shall it come to mind: neither shall they remember it; neither shall they visit it; neither shall that be done any more.

Jeremiah 3:16 (NLT) "And when your land is once more filled with people," says the Lord, "you will no longer wish for 'the good old days' when you possessed the Ark of the Lord's covenant. Those days will not be missed or even thought about, and there will be no need to rebuild the Ark.

Ezekiel 47:9 (KJV) And it shall come to pass, that every thing that liveth, which moveth, whithersoever the rivers shall come, shall live: and there shall be a very great multitude of fish, because these waters shall come thither: for they shall be healed; and every thing shall live whither the river cometh.

Amos 9:13 (NCV) The Lord says, "The time is coming when there will be all kinds of food. People will still be harvesting crops when it's time to plow again. People will still be taking the juice from grapes when it's time to plant again. Wine will drip from the mountains and pour from the hills.

Amos 9:13 (MES) Things are going to happen so fast your head will swim, one thing fast on the heels of the other. You won't be able to keep up. Everything will be happening at once—and everywhere you look, blessings! Blessings like wine pouring off the mountains and hills.

A DAY IS COMING WHEN ALL THE PRAYERS WE HAVE PRAYED WILL CATCH UP WITH US!

Isaiah 65:24 (KJV) And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.

Thro email, premium studies!

Back