Why?

crossnote

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hebrews 9:22 ESV
[22] Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.

Leviticus 17:11 ESV
[11] For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it for you on the altar to make atonement for your souls, for it is the blood that makes atonement by the life.

Why is a death needful for the forgiveness of sins? Why couldn't God just give a warm hug and tell the world, "I know you have transgressed me but I want your fellowship and worship so bad, that I now forgive you"?
IOW, why did Jesus have to shed His blood unto death?

[22] Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.

[11] For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it for you on the altar to make atonement for your souls, for it is the blood that makes atonement by the life.

Why is a death needful for the forgiveness of sins? Why couldn't God just give a warm hug and tell the world, "I know you have transgressed me but I want your fellowship and worship so bad, that I now forgive you"?

I would offer the life of the flesh is in the blood but that life is not literal blood without the unseen spirit essence.

James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

What is being poured out to us is spirit life in jeopardy of Spirit of the father and Son . Literal blood without the essence of spirit was poured out to show the unseen work of the Holy Spirit. (The gospel revealed in parables.) Literal blood without the Spirit literaly returned back to dust

In various parables it is referred to as “drinking the blood of men” The food of men doing the will of the father as Jesus did. Found as two witnesses in both 1 Chronicles 11:19 and 2 Samuel 23.

David in jail like that of John the Baptist when he had doubts of if Jesus was the promised Son of man .and Jesus sent back the gospel news.

It would seem the Holy Spirit was working in David in order to comfort gave David gave David a desire to hear the gospel to help strengthen him. Using the well of living water at the gate of the city of bread (Bethlehem) to represent flesh to quench David’s thirst. Jesus's place of bith

Our Holy Father working in moving three men of renown. Three is used to denote the end of a matter. This was in order to bring the gospel drink to David and calm his doubts .

2 Samuel 23: 14-17 And David was then in an hold, and the garrison of the Philistines was then in Bethlehem.And David longed, and said, Oh that one would give me drink of the water of the well of Bethlehem, which is by the gate! And the three mighty men brake through the host of the Philistines, and drew water out of the well of Bethlehem, that was by the gate, and took it, and brought it to David: nevertheless he would not drink thereof, but poured it out unto the Lord. And he said, Be it far from me, O Lord, that I should do this: is not this the blood of the men that went in jeopardy of their lives? therefore he would not drink it. These things did these three mighty men.

Many from my experience are confused when it comes to the metaphor “ blood or water”. . exchangeable same kind of understanding .
Again both represent the work of unseen Holy Spirit its purpose used in parable.

The Catholics for instance say it becomes the literal blood while the JW’s dismiss all manners of taking literal blood in. The drinking of blood or pouring out of water both indicate the work of more than one giving their life in jeopardy of another. David refused to drink it knowing ultimately it represented the promised demonstration spoken of in Isaiah 53 pointing ahead of the suffering of Christ beforehand..

I would offer the life of the flesh is in the blood but that life is not literal blood without the unseen spirit essence.

James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

What is being poured out to us is spirit life in jeopardy of Spirit of the father and Son . Literal blood without the essence of spirit was poured out to show the unseen work of the Holy Spirit. (The gospel revealed in parables.) Literal blood without the Spirit literaly returned back to dust

In various parables it is referred to as “drinking the blood of men” The food of men doing the will of the father as Jesus did. Found as two witnesses in both 1 Chronicles 11:19 and 2 Samuel 23.

David in jail like that of John the Baptist when he had doubts of if Jesus was the promised Son of man .and Jesus sent back the gospel news.

It would seem the Holy Spirit was working in David in order to comfort gave David gave David a desire to hear the gospel to help strengthen him. Using the well of living water at the gate of the city of bread (Bethlehem) to represent flesh to quench David’s thirst. Jesus's place of bith

Our Holy Father working in moving three men of renown. Three is used to denote the end of a matter. This was in order to bring the gospel drink to David and calm his doubts .

2 Samuel 23: 14-17 And David was then in an hold, and the garrison of the Philistines was then in Bethlehem.And David longed, and said, Oh that one would give me drink of the water of the well of Bethlehem, which is by the gate! And the three mighty men brake through the host of the Philistines, and drew water out of the well of Bethlehem, that was by the gate, and took it, and brought it to David: nevertheless he would not drink thereof, but poured it out unto the Lord. And he said, Be it far from me, O Lord, that I should do this: is not this the blood of the men that went in jeopardy of their lives? therefore he would not drink it. These things did these three mighty men.

Many from my experience are confused when it comes to the metaphor “ blood or water”. . exchangeable same kind of understanding .
Again both represent the work of unseen Holy Spirit its purpose used in parable.

The Catholics for instance say it becomes the literal blood while the JW’s dismiss all manners of taking literal blood in. The drinking of blood or pouring out of water both indicate the work of more than one giving their life in jeopardy of another. David refused to drink it knowing ultimately it represented the promised demonstration spoken of in Isaiah 53 pointing ahead of the suffering of Christ beforehand..
Thanks, but all this still begs the question posed by the OP, "Why is a death needful for the forgiveness of sins?"

Truth is rarely pretty.
Shedding blood is not a pretty sight either.
So both go hand in hand.
I’m just hazarding a guess here..

I really don’t get this part of the bible.
All this blood and guts and dying on a cross... why even a cross? Couldn’t God have just gave him some sedatives?

Truth is rarely pretty.
Shedding blood is not a pretty sight either.
So both go hand in hand.
I’m just hazarding a guess here..

I really don’t get this part of the bible.
All this blood and guts and dying on a cross... why even a cross? Couldn’t God have just gave him some sedatives?
Yes, it is a tough nut to crack and I don't have the answers except that's the way God purposed and revealed it. He is God and we are not. My flesh would agree with the pre-cross Peter...

Matthew 16:22 (KJV) Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.

I was just hoping some would share their 'sanctified' insight on this matter.

Because the wages of sin is death.
Someone else had to die to pay for your sin, if they hadn't died then sure you can be given a hug, but the thing is sin DOES result in death.

eg. When Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit, that caused them to die. God said if they ate it, they would die. If they hadn't eaten it, they would have lived forever.

So what happened was God sacrificed a lamb to keep them covered because they were naked. That lamb had to DIE and give up its own skin to cover Adam and Eve.

Whenever you eat meat, that animal had to DIE so you could eat it right?

Yes, it is a tough nut to crack and I don't have the answers except that's the way God purposed and revealed it. He is God and we are not. My flesh would agree with the pre-cross Peter...

Matthew 16:22 (KJV) Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.

I was just hoping some would share their 'sanctified' insight on this matter.
That’s ok. It’s interesting though.
Well at least I know I’m not sanctified enough to answer either.
Hope you find out. Hope I do too as a matter of fact lol

Because the wages of sin is death.
Someone else had to die to pay for your sin, if they hadn't died then sure you can be given a hug, but the thing is sin DOES result in death.
There's a point, a big hug would have resulted in a big hug for one who remained in their sins. A death was required in order for sin to die in the death of Christ.

That’s ok. It’s interesting though.
Well at least I know I’m not sanctified enough to answer either.
Hope you find out. Hope I do too as a matter of fact lol
Maybe...at least partially now, but...

1 Corinthians 13:12 (KJV) For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Ok, how does the necessity of shed blood tie in with a new body?

I would say that every person is a sinner. So then every sinner has forfeited his life by his transgressions, and the law of God requires his death;

Genesis 2:16–17 ...........
"And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, “You may surely eat of every tree of the garden, 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

So then the blood of the victim, which is its life, is shed as a substitute for the life of the sinner.

When Adam sinned, Jesus Crist killed animals which means that those animals lost their blood and since blood is required for life, then it is then By these animals that the sacrifice of Christ was typified.

The animals blood was shed to cover the sins of men just like those in the garden of Eden. Every animal sacrifice was a PICTURE of what the Messiah was going to do.

He gave His blood, gave His life for the life of the world; human life for human life, but a life infinitely dignified by its union with God.

Now.....the blood of Christ cleanses sinners from sin instead of covering sin.

You used James 2:26 to say that..........
"the life of the flesh is in the blood but that life is not literal blood without the unseen spirit essence."

That is a miss applied theology as that is NOT what James said or was implying. The BLOOD of the flesh is literal not symbolic.

"For as the body without the spirit is dead" - James is making a "Comparative description" about why Faith without works does not equate to salvation. He said simply that IF a man is saved he will have a desire to do good works and he is not saved by works but because he is saved he will WANT to do good works.

The Greek word πνεύμα pneuma is commonly used to denote spirit or soul, as referring to the intelligent nature. The meaning here is the obvious one, that the body is animated or kept alive by the presence of the soul, and that when that is withdrawn, hope departs. The body has no life independent of the presence of the soul.

So faith without works is dead also - THAT is his comparison!!!!

There is as much necessity that faith and works should be united to constitute true religion, as there is that the body and soul should be united to constitute a living man. If good works do not follow, it is clear that there is no true and proper faith; none that justifies and saves. If faith produces no fruit of good living, that fact proves that it is dead faith and the person in question is not saved at all.

You then said.............
"It would seem the Holy Spirit was working in David in order to comfort gave David gave David a desire to hear the gospel to help strengthen him. Using the well of living water at the gate of the city of bread (Bethlehem) to represent flesh to quench David’s thirst."

You seem to be trying to make David the example of God's work in a holy man!

The truth however is that David broke ALL the laws of God and God still loved Him.

Joh 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
Mat 11:11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
King David was “born of a woman” and yet “he that is least in the kingdom of heaven in greater than” King David, because “grace and Truth were not even available to King David.

Gari..........“Grace and Truth came by Jesus Christ.”

How do these verses fit into the sum of God’s Word?

1Co 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them [ All Israel, including King David] for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
Had “the ends of the ages come upon” King David or anyone in the Old Testament? What does the sum of God’s Word teach us concerning all of the great men of faith in the Old Testament? Here is what we are told for those who are given eyes which can see and ears which can hear:

Heb 11:32 And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and [ of] Barak, and [ of] Samson, and [ of] Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and [ of] the prophets:
Heb 11:33 Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,
Heb 11:34 Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.
Heb 11:35 Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:
Heb 11:36 And others had trial of [ cruel] mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:
Heb 11:37 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;
Heb 11:38 (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and [ in] mountains, and [ in] dens and caves of the earth.
Heb 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
Heb 11:40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.
Now you tell me who this “some better thing God had provided” is for? Is it for a carnal King David whose dying words consisted of a hit list for his son Solomon, or is this “better thing for us… upon whom the ends of the ages have come?”

1Ki 2:1 Now the days of David drew nigh that he should die; and he charged Solomon his son, saying,
1Ki 2:2 I go the way of all the earth: be thou strong therefore, and shew thyself a man;
1Ki 2:5 Moreover thou knowest also what Joab the son of Zeruiah did to me, [ and] what he did to the two captains of the hosts of Israel, unto Abner the son of Ner, and unto Amasa the son of Jether, whom he slew, and shed the blood of war in peace, and put the blood of war upon his girdle that [ was] about his loins, and in his shoes that [ were] on his feet.
1Ki 2:6 Do therefore according to thy wisdom, and let not his hoar head go down to the grave in peace.
1Ki 2:7 But shew kindness unto the sons of Barzillai the Gileadite, and let them be of those that eat at thy table: for so they came to me when I fled because of Absalom thy brother.
1Ki 2:8 And, behold, [ thou hast] with thee Shimei the son of Gera, a Benjamite of Bahurim, which cursed me with a grievous curse in the day when I went to Mahanaim: but he came down to meet me at Jordan, and I sware to him by the LORD, saying, I will not put thee to death with the sword.
1Ki 2:9 Now therefore hold him not guiltless: for thou [ art] a wise man, and knowest what thou oughtest to do unto him; but his hoar head bring thou down to the grave with blood.

Does that sound like Christ was in King David? Does that sound like the mind of the holy spirit, or does that not sound more like the “carnal commandments” of the law of Moses?

No, “the better thing God has provided” it is not for King David or anyone else mentioned in this 11th chapter of Hebrews. The whole Christian world has been blinded to the fact that the “better thing [ is] for us,” and is not for them.

Scripture does not say ‘We without them,” what it does say is “They without us should not be made perfect.”

Rom 11 makes it clear that all Israel, including King David and Samuel, “will receive mercy through our mercy.”

Back