Women Of The Nt ..

Where in the bible does it say Mary the mother of Jesus was with the apostles and took care of them? I thought that was Mary magdalen ? I feel like I missed something big when I read thru the NT..

I think there is some confusion somewhere; yes I believe you are correct.

Where in the bible does it say Mary the mother of Jesus was with the apostles and took care of them? I thought that was Mary magdalen ? I feel like I missed something big when I read thru the NT..

Allie...we know that at the cross Jesus appointed John to be Mary's caretaker...in that culture and time if a woman did not have another son to take care of her (for such a son would have obligation under the Law of God to care for her), she would end up homeless or worse and have no resources leading to begging or even prostitution just to live (or be willing to starve to death and die). So being WITH John (her new son and her being his new mother) lets us know she remained with the Apostles because John remained with the Apostles until they dispersed to go into the world (just before Titus besieged Jerusalem).

As a woman raised in that culture and time, woman had their roles and men their roles, and they submitted to one another as far as these roles were concerned. Most of the blessed women among the disciples of Christ did a lot of these things (making clothes, preparing the dwellings inside, cooking, training up the children in the way they should go, and so on). Mary, though the mother of our Lord, more than likely did many of these things as well (but we cannot be sure) but we know as her ministerial obligation she would also have been giving council and teaching the younger woman (in care giving, raising children, being chaste or committed, etc.,).

Finally, being the mother of "God in the flesh" (a Holy Mother set apart by God for His purpose) she must also have been heavily revered or even adored and in some senses venerated (the History of the Church by Eusibius and the writings of the early church demonstrate this). She was held in very high esteem because she was chosen and blessed among all other women and was (even before the virgin birth) a handmaid unto the Lord (in Hebrew culture she would have been called a tzadikies or righteous/virtuous woman like we heaqr about in Proverbs 31).

There are two traditions of her destiny...one says she lived about another 11 years and died in Jerusalem and was buried there...the other says she lived with John when he was in Ephesus till she died and then her bones were returned to Jerusalem...we know however that by the 4th century they went to her burial site and her bones were no longer there (but this was not unusual with the graves of people that the masses would have taken their "relics" and set up shrines and worshipped them (which was idolatry). In fact they even could have been stolen and sold for such purposes (we just cannot be sure).

But one of the greatest testimonies of Mary is her own mantra..."do it unto me according to your word Lord" and also "whatever He tells you, DO IT"....Mary always directed/ministered the message pointing to the Lord and the Lord's way and instruction as being her heart for us...

Think on these things...

In His love

brother Paul

the bible simply refers to them as "the women of Galilee" ..
Mary (mother of Jesus) was extremely humble ..

Luk 8:3 and Joanna the wife of Chuza, Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others who were contributing to their support out of their private means.

here we see the women of Galilee ministering to Jesus and His Apostles .. contributing to their support, could also mean washing clothes, cooking food, and even sewing a seamless robe for Jesus ..

Mat 27:55 Many women were there looking on from a distance, who had followed Jesus from Galilee while ministering to Him.

those who were at the cross, where those who were ministering to Him .. so we know Mary was one of these women of Galilee ..

Mar 15:41 When He was in Galilee, they used to follow Him and minister to Him; and there were many other women who came up with Him to Jerusalem.

here she is included in the group, and she continued to stay with this group ..

Act 1:14 These all with one mind were continually devoting themselves to prayer, along with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.

in Galilee we also see her in (Luk 8:20) following Him ..

Last edited:

the first question is answered in my above post ..

Jesus cured the demon possessed Mary of Magdala, (a city located near the Sea of Galilee) who then became one of "the women of Galilee" who ministered to Jesus and the Apostles (Luk 8:3) ..
Luk 8:2 and also some women who had been healed of evil spirits and sicknesses: Mary who was called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out,
Luk 8:3 and Joanna the wife of Chuza, Herod’s steward, and Susanna, and many others who were contributing to their support out of their private means.

so Mary of Magdala was just one on the many women ..

what is interesting, is Luk 8:2 says "also some women" meaning May of Magdala was not the only one in the group of women of Galilee that was formerly possessed ..

Last edited:
I checked the Greek .. in Luk 8:3 the scripture begins with: kai Iōan(n)a ..

this is important, as Luk 8:2 says Maria kaleō (the) Magdalēnē ..

so it reads: Luk 8:2 .. Mary called the Magdalene (Luk 8:3) AND Joanna AND Susanna AND many others who ministered (to) them out of their means

indeed, the word AND is there each and every place
diakoneō = minister to or serve ..
hyparchō is most often translated as "possessions" (via context) .. but hyparchō reflects more of a means that you have available .. hence a poor person still could give from their hyparchō by washing, cooking etc ..

Last edited:
There is so much beauty in the Blessed Mother... she is the symbol for all women as mothers, sisters, wives. Her humbleness and her mannerism was stronger than most around her... she never lost sight of her son nor did she ever fail Him. She was His first disciple and at the same time she exerted authority in that she did not have to ask our Lord can you please turn the water into wine, she merely said the hosts had run out of wine, Christ did protest in a way but it was more to let her know she was rushing a bit the time of our Lord starting His ministry. Mary then turned to the servants and told them to do as He says... and Christ did...

Our Lord Jesus loved her very much, even on the cross just before His death His thoughts were for the welfare of His Blessed Mother ... interestingly enough He did not appoint one of his family members to protect her and take care of her, but He entrusted her to John .

When i think of her tears swell up, as a mother i can only imagine her anguish in seeing her son to be treated like this, tortured, beaten, spit on, betrayed, and nailed to a cross like He was the worst criminal ever. Every time our Lord fell carrying the cross her heart must have been rendered apart in pain in seeing her wonderful Holy Son take this punishment without protest...

Luke 2:33And His father and mother were amazed at the things which were being said about Him. 34And Simeon blessed them and said to Mary His mother, “Behold, this Child is appointed for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and for a sign to be opposed— 35and a sword will pierce even your own soul—to the end that thoughts from many hearts may be revealed.”

Our Lord Jesus loved her very much, even on the cross just before His death His thoughts were for the welfare of His Blessed Mother ... interestingly enough He did not appoint one of his family members to protect her and take care of her, but He entrusted her to John .

The problem here is that if SHE had had any sons of her own they would have to have cared for her by Law (if James the Righteous was HER son, he would have stepped up and been there for her...his epitaph says son of Joseph, but not son of Joseph and Mary) and as far as everyone in their culture would have been concerned they were still under the Law...

Paul

I liked Tabitha .. she was a living/dying/living picture of Salvation ..

this woman was abounding with deeds of kindness and charity which she continually did.

Back