Works of Faith

Works of Faith

We are saved by grace through faith-a gift from God (Ephesians 2:8). True faith is however not in mere words but in deeds. Jesus tells us, “Not every one that says Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven but only those who do the will of the Father (Matthew 7:21)”. He also tells us that, “Whoever accepts my commandments and obeys them, he is the one who loves me and I will reveal myself to him (John 14: 21) and My Father and I will come and live with Him (John 14:23). God showed His faithfulness, not by mere words, but by put it into action; even though that meant dying on the cross. James (James 2:14-17) therefore, tells us, “What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. He further tells us, “Abraham was right with God through his action when he offered Isaac on the altar. His faith was made perfect through his action. Furthermore, man is put right with God by what he does and not because of his faith alone” (James 2:21-26). On the other hand works that are not acts of faith (not done out of faith in God) do not save us (Ephesians 2:9 & Psalm 127:1).

Yes . Faith must "do something" in order to be considered "alive" . otherwise it is "dead" and works without faith are dead also

i recall a passage in Galatians

After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort? (Gal 3:3)

The beginning needs to be Spiritual and so does the whole road .

I'd like to think of Grace as a power that helps me do what i cannot .

So if the premise of our own actions is ego, sin, self trust, instead of trust in God this cannot ultimately please Him (Hebrews 11:6) but if the works that happen through us .. come from this trust in Him and that Love relationship with Him .. then this is excessively pleasing to Him . especially when we help people out when they're in need . whether that need be emotional, physical, spiritual or otherwise .

God is Love and is giving all the time . so when we imitate Him in this regard out of a genuine heart of trust . why wouldn't our Father in Heaven be pleased? When He sees us . He sees His only Son .

Back