Worthy Of Our Worship

Thursday, December 19, 2013, 7:11 a.m. – the Lord Jesus woke me with the song “The Letters” playing in my mind. Speak, Lord, your words to my heart. I read Revelation 5 (NIV).

Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, “Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?” But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside. Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.”

Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth. He went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne. And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people. And they sang a new song, saying:

“You are worthy to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
because you were slain,
and with your blood you purchased for God
persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.
You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
and they will reign on the earth.”

Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. In a loud voice they were saying:

“Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
and honor and glory and praise!”

Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying:

“To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb
be praise and honor and glory and power,
for ever and ever!”

The four living creatures said, “Amen,” and the elders fell down and worshiped.

Who is Worthy?

From what I understand, the scroll spoken of here is concerning the coming judgments of God upon the earth, and upon the people of the earth, as well as it is about the saints’ inheritance of God’s eternal kingdom. It announced what was yet to come, and it told about the end of time and what kinds of things we can expect to take place before the return of Christ Jesus, at which time we, the saints of God, will be with our Lord forever. Perhaps the scroll contained the remainder of what was written in the book of Revelation, as the book itself described in detail all that is going to take place, the way in which God will judge, the persecution of the saints, their reward in heaven, and the ultimate eternal punishment for all those who do not put their faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and as Savior of their lives.

Jesus Christ was the only one worthy to open the scroll, because he had been crucified on a cross, taking upon himself the sins of the entire world so that everyone would have the opportunity of salvation, by God’s grace, and the hope of eternity with God in heaven, through faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus was worthy because he had triumphed over hell, Satan, death and sin via his death and resurrection. He was our perfect Lamb sacrifice for our sins, and yet he is the King of kings and Lord of lords over all creation. He was worthy because he shed his own blood on the cross to buy us back (redeem us) for himself, i.e. to save us, not only from eternity in hell, but to free us from slavery to sin day-to-day, and to deliver us up to walk daily in his righteousness and holiness living within us. He is worthy because he made us to be a kingdom of people of the one and only true God, and because he called us to be priests (God’s servants; ministers of his covenant of grace; and intercessors in prayer for ourselves and others) to serve our God, and we will reign with him on the earth.

Kingdom and Priests

The kingdom of God (of heaven) has its embodiment in the person of Jesus Christ. The kingdom comprises Jesus’ life, death, resurrection, his ascension into heaven, his sending of his Holy Spirit to indwell his followers, the salvation of souls via his shed blood on the cross, his divine character and will; his love, mercy, grace, compassion and judgments, the sanctification and holiness of the follower of Christ wrought in his or her life by the Spirit of God, the true church (the body of Christ), Jesus’ soon return, and our eternal life with him in glory, and so much more. When we come to faith in Jesus Christ by his grace, we become kingdom people, and our purpose in life is transformed from living for self, sin and this earthly kingdom to a new heart with a desire to live for our Lord, to walk in his truth and in fellowship with him, to do what pleases him, and to serve him for the advancement of God’s eternal kingdom in other people’s lives, as well as in our own lives as we grow in his grace.

Jesus said that not everyone who says to him, “Lord, Lord,” will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of his Father in heaven (see Matt. 7:21). He also said that unless we have the humble, simple trust and faith of children who put feet to their faith, we will never enter the kingdom of heaven (see Matt. 18:3). As well, he said that no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again; born of water (natural birth) and the Spirit (spiritual birth – new life in Christ) – see John 3:3-5. Those who choose to continue to live sinful lifestyles, and thus reject the transformation of the Spirit of God in their lives, by God’s grace, will not inherit eternal life in God’s eternal kingdom (see 1 Co. 6; Gal. 5:21; Eph. 5:5). In other words, not everyone who says he is saved is truly saved. Jesus said that if we would want to come after him, we must deny ourselves (our self life), take up our cross daily (die daily to sin and self) and follow (obey) him. He said if we hold on to the way we used to live when we walked in the flesh, we will lose our lives for eternity, but if we put to death our former way of living in sin, we will gain eternal life (see Lu. 9:23-25; cf. Eph. 4:17-24; Rom. 6; Gal. 2:20; 1 John 1-5; and Titus 2:11-14).

So, if we want to have eternal life with God in heaven, and if we want to participate in his kingdom while we still live on the face of this earth, we need to die to our old lives of living to please self and for sinful pleasure, we must be transformed in heart and mind of the Spirit of God, via God’s saving grace, and we must put on our new lives in Christ Jesus, “created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness” (see Eph. 4:17-24). Jesus Christ paid much too high a price so that we could be free of bondage to sin for us to continue in sin and living for self pleasure. He is worthy of our worship and our praise, but the kind of worship he desires is not lip service only or in form only, but in submitting our lives to him and to the cross of Christ, surrendering our all to him, and truly allowing him to crucify within us our fleshly appetites and desires, and allowing him to live his life of love, grace, mercy, holiness, righteousness and obedience in us and out through us. Have you truly given him your all today? If not, please do it. Time is running out. Serve him now!

The Letters / An Original Work / December 17, 2013

Based off Revelation 2-3

To the angels of all the churches write:
These are the words of your Lord and your God.
I know all your deeds, and your witness, too,
And who holds to My words and tells what’s true.
I know all your hard work and your perseverance,
Yet I hold against you: you’ve forsaken Me.
Listen to what I say to you.

You have people there who deny My name,
And who put the cross of Christ up to shame.
They entice the people to Me, profane,
And their worship of Me is all in vain.
They are so adult’rous as they chase their idols,
And you put up with them easily enough.

You give off an image of godliness,
But what you present is so fraudulent,
Or else you lack passion for Jesus Christ,
So you look to others to tell what’s right.
I say turn from your sin, or you will face judgment.
He who overcomes will have eternal life.

I know your afflictions and poverty;
How you suffer for your Lord patiently.
Do not fear the devil and company.
You be faithful to your Lord endlessly.
I know all your weakness and your dedication.
You have kept My Word and not denied your Lord.
I will write on you My new name.

http://originalworks.info/the-letters/

Back