Yay! So excited!

wow I never knew that o.o

Please be careful Pancakes for it is actually a warning the Lord is giving not to overrate the ability to speak in tongues. It alone is NOT a sign of salvation or baptism by the Holy Spirit and many in the early church were being deceived by it. Desire proper UNDERSTANDING far more than tongues. The FULL passage is:-

1 Cor 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. 16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest? 17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified. 18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: 19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue. 20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

Please be careful Pancakes for it is actually a warning the Lord is giving not to overrate the ability to speak in tongues. It alone is NOT a sign of salvation or baptism by the Holy Spirit and many in the early church were being deceived by it. Desire proper UNDERSTANDING far more than tongues. The FULL passage is:-

1 Cor 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. 16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest? 17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified. 18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: 19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue. 20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

Hey Mistmann

This passage was concerning when a person recieved a message from God to gives to the congregation in tongue and they also need to give an interpretation of it so the people will understand what is said ( if there was no one else there to interpret it.)

But the other verse I mentioned was not about that. It was about your prayer time alone with God. we are praying to God, not speaking to people.

Notice one is to the people and the other is to God. There are certain times for one and other times for the other.

Hey Mistmann

This passage was concerning when a person recieved a message from God to gives to the congregation in tongue and they also need to give an interpretation of it so the people will understand what is said ( if there was no one else there to interpret it.)

But the other verse I mentioned was not about that. It was about your prayer time alone with God. we are praying to God, not speaking to people.

Notice one is to the people and the other is to God. There are certain times for one and other times for the other.

Hi GS,

The only verse I can see being spoken about here by everybody, yourself included, is 1 Cor 14:15. All I have done is put it into the context Paul intended it to be in as it is easily misunderstood if it is quoted alone out of context.

What we have to understand is that the Bible does not teach that tongues (speaking in an ACTUAL language that you have not learnt but which IS understandable by those with the ability to understand that language and translate it for others) is THE sign of being baptised by the Holy Spirit. The Bible teaches that it is but only ONE of the gifts the Holy Spirit can bestow and even then not one of the more important ones as Paul points out. The Bible teaches that not all who are baptised are given the gift of speaking in an unlearned language, only SOME. Others are given other gifts, often more desirable gifts such as knowledge, prophecy, encouragement, administration, etc.

But all these gifts are not given to elevate and build up the receiver of the gift. They are abilities for them to USE for the benefit of the WHOLE body of Christ in building the body of Christ up and enabling it to function correctly and achieve the things it is here to do. They are gifts that serve a FUNCTION and PURPOSE the Lord has planned for you to do in HIS church (as opposed to our denominational churches - there are no denominations in the church of which Christ is the one and ONLY head).

The purpose of "tongues" is COMMUNICATION in the way the Apostles at Pentacost used it. To give the message in the languages / tongues that the people HEARING it could understand. Languages / tongues the Apostles did not know and could not speak until they were baptised by the Holy Spirit.

The purpose of tongues is not to be used as a "badge" of Holy Spirit Baptism, that is NOT its purpose. It is but ONE gift of MANY that are distributed among His people by the Lord as HE sees fit. It is not a case of everybody gets everything. The inability to speak an untaught language is NOT a sign that you have not been baptised by the Holy Spirit, it just means that "tongues" is probably not one of the set of gifts the Lord has personally selected for YOU and the work He has planned for you to do.

The Holy Spirit does give the actual language supernaturally and another interprets it supernaturally.The gifts are not natural gifts but supernatural gifts.

Evidently you do not believe in the supernatural gifts and thats your choice. So we will just have to disagree. :) There has been much discussion about this in the past so I won't take the time to rehash all that.

I choose to believe what is written in the Word and not try to explain it away with our natural intellectual understanding.

The Holy Spirit does give the actual language supernaturally and another interprets it supernaturally.The gifts are not natural gifts but supernatural gifts.

Evidently you do not believe in the supernatural gifts and thats your choice. So we will just have to disagree. :) There has been much discussion about this in the past so I won't take the time to rehash all that.

I choose to believe what is written in the Word and not try to explain it away with our natural intellectual understanding.

I have no idea why you would jump to such a conclusion from my post as I have made no such claim. Clearly I believe in the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, I am just clarifying what the word of the Lord does and does not say about them. It does say, while everybody receives gifts by the Holy Spirit not everybody receives the gift of tongues (there are many other gifts). It does NOT say that everybody who is baptised by the Holy Spirit shall speak in tongues.

1 Cor 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

1 Cor 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular. 28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? 30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? 31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

I have no idea why you would jump to such a conclusion from my post as I have made no such claim. Clearly I believe in the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, I am just clarifying what the word of the Lord does and does not say about them. It does say, while everybody receives gifts by the Holy Spirit not everybody receives the gift of tongues (there are many other gifts). It does NOT say that everybody who is baptised by the Holy Spirit shall speak in tongues.

Alright I misunderstood. It sounded as tho you didn't believe in the gifts of the Spirit. However as I said I guess we will just have to disagree on this point of interpretation. I won't take the time to go over and over again what has been said many times. :)

God bless.

Alright I misunderstood. It sounded as tho you didn't believe in the gifts of the Spirit. However as I said I guess we will just have to disagree on this point of interpretation. I won't take the time to go over and over again what has been said many times. :)

God bless.

That is the beautiful thing about the Bible, the "Book of Remembrance" the Lord has given us of the things HE has said. No matter how many times we go over it again and again what the LORD has said does not change one iota, ;)

Back