Yes, we're sinners but...

Yes, we all sin, but as Christians we can be thankful that the Lord does not let it rule over us and it does not define who we are.

Greetings,
Nope! We are either sinners or redeemed.
We can not be both.
Yes we can miss the mark or act on something that is sin but it does not make us sinners.

Lord does not let it rule over us and it does not define who we are

You said the Lord does not let it (sin) Rule over us..
If by this you mean He has done His part and we must choose to obey His ways and we can overcome sin then Amen.

If you mean Jesus will walk with you and push sin out then no.

I am only bringing these up inquiring mind because far to many people are asking others to pray that they won't sin or yell at their friends or get drunk and sleep around and so forth. Those are wishful thinking prayers that won't help.

Blessings
FCJ

I’ve got to stand by my statement brothers and sisters. Let me ask you to name one among us who does not sin, redeemed or not; but yet we in Christ are purified (1 John 1:7-10) from it. And so, I wake up every morning thankful that I’m no longer under the law because of what Christ did for me and that He does not allow sin to rule over me or define me (Romans 6:14).

Paul says it's not him that does these wrong things but the sin in him that does them.

People use this as saying it's the sin nature and there's nothing we can do about it.

That is wrong thinking to keep one in bondage of sin.

No Paul is making it a point to show that the Spirit is not built up and the flesh is still controls.

Look at Galatians 5:16
Galatians 5:16
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh

Blessings
FCJ

I’ve got to stand by my statement brothers and sisters. Let me ask you to name one among us who does not sin, redeemed or not; but yet we in Christ are purified (1 John 1:7-10) from it. And so, I wake up every morning thankful that I’m no longer under the law because of what Christ did for me and that He does not allow sin to rule over me or define me (Romans 6:14).

7 We should live in the light, where God is. If we live in the light, we have fellowship with each other, and the blood sacrifice of Jesus, God’s Son, washes away every sin and makes us clean.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we are fooling ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 But if we confess our sins, God will forgive us. We can trust God to do this. He always does what is right. He will make us clean from all the wrong things we have done.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we are saying that God is a liar and that we don’t accept his true teaching.

No place in this does it say we are sinners.
People say oh I am just an ol sinner saved by Grace.
That's dumb, because either you are a sinner or you are saved by Grace.

Look at
1 John 3:9

Those who have been born into God's family do not make a practice of sinning, because God's life is in them. So they can't keep on sinning, because they are children of God.

However when we do miss the mark and sin we have 1John1:9 to be Thankful for.

Again the deal with fulfilling 1 John 3:9
Is scriptures such as Galatians 5:16

No my Brother, we are not sinners But we can miss the mark and sin but we repent and turn from it unto God and move onward in Christ.
That Does Not make us sinners.

Blessings
FCJ

FCJ, I think we’re in agreement here. And, let me just add, I have not used the term “sinner” once in my posts.

Sorry, I did in the titl

Yes Sir that is what I was going off of.
Far too many Believers have this woe is me attitude and think they are being humble before the Father and in truth they are walking as if what Jesus our Christ did on the cross was not enough in their case.
That never Pleases the Father.

Now then, before you say I am talking to the choir, lol I took your title for what it said and added to your thread with Truth of His word.

There are those in here who still think it is right to consider themselves yet a sinner.
Thank you very much for your awesome thread my brother.
Blessings
FCJ

No one who abides in Him [who lives and remains in communion with and in obedience to Him–deliberately, knowingly, and habitually] commits (practices) sin. No one who [habitually] sins has either seen or known Him [recognized, perceived, or understood Him, or has had an experiential acquaintance with Him].

Boys (lads), let no one deceive and lead you astray. He who practices righteousness [who is upright, conforming to the divine will in purpose, thought, and action, living a consistently conscientious life] is righteous, even as He is righteous.

[But] he who commits sin [who practices evildoing] is of the devil [takes his character from the evil one], for the devil has sinned (violated the divine law) from the beginning. The reason the Son of God was made manifest (visible) was to undo (destroy, loosen, and dissolve) the works the devil [has done].

No one born (begotten) of God [deliberately, knowingly, and habitually] practices sin, for God's nature abides in him [His principle of life, the divine sperm, remains permanently within him]; and he cannot practice sinning because he is born (begotten) of God. By this it is made clear who take their nature from God and are His children and who take their nature from the devil and are his children: no one who does not practice righteousness [who does not conform to God's will in purpose, thought, and action] is of God; neither is anyone who does not love his brother (his fellow believer in Christ).
1 John 3:6‭-‬10 AMPC
http://bible.com/8/1jn.3.6-10.AMPC

In my Bible study today, i read these verses, and God showed me the difference between these two people... is the attitude of the heart.

There are many people who are believers who do make mistakes and are still living in sin. Some have trained their flesh to fully submit to God's ways (or the light and understanding that they have gotten), And these are people who make mistakes but their heart's desire is to serve God and do right. Those people are protected by God, and are the ones whom take full advantage of 1 Jn 1:9. Then there are those that we assume should know better, but in all reality they are being judged by people who have light or understanding that they don't have yet.

Just thought i would share what The Holy Spirit has shown me

Blessings

Yes Sir that is what I was going off of.
Far too many Believers have this woe is me attitude and think they are being humble before the Father and in truth they are walking as if what Jesus our Christ did on the cross was not enough in their case.
That never Pleases the Father.

Now then, before you say I am talking to the choir, lol I took your title for what it said and added to your thread with Truth of His word.

There are those in here who still think it is right to consider themselves yet a sinner.
Thank you very much for your awesome thread my brother.
Blessings
FCJ

I get your meaning, and I guess my use of the word “sinner” in the “Yes, we are sinners, but...” thread title goes against the grain for the rigid interpretation of the term “sinner”, as meaning habitual. I understand that, and I didn’t really mean it in that way because I thought it went without saying that there is no excuse for living in continued or habitual sin without regard of wrongdoing, repentance, and not trying to change your behavior through Christ. However, I also see your point about people misinterpreting; I suppose it’s kind of like the difference in saying “I ride a bike occasionally” (I sin), but I’m not a “bicyclist” (a sinner). No offense to biking enthusiast meant. Actually, in my OP I was trying to say the same thing, with as much brevity as possible, that as Christians we can be thankful that the Lord does not let it rule over us and it does not define who we are... AND OF COURSE THAT IS PROVIDED WE ARE REPENTANT AND OBEDIENT (caps are for emphasis only). I don’t like being long-winded in my posts and that can sometimes be as convoluting as saying too much. Thanks for your insight.

This is a very interesting thread, and like many others, a lot depends on semantics. What do you mean, exactly, by .... ?
The target has been mentioned above, so is it enough to use the "archer and target" illustration ?

Three archers are ready with their weapons. Each archer considers himself a Christian.

Number one takes aim. He is well practiced, and scores a Bullseye.

Number two is careful to check his arrow is positioned properly, wanting to equal his friend. He shoots and misses the Bull, but is within the target area.

Number three, having watched the other two, thinks it's easy, and lets go. There is no sign of his arrow on the board, but neither of the others jeers, so, not bothered, he'll get some better arrows later, perhaps. Then he'll try again when there are fewer observers.

I think we can see who is fooling himself.

Then he'll try again when there are fewer observers.

I think we can see who is fooling himself.

Hi Smiler
Could you elaborate this a little deeper and connect the dots between the foolish archer and that we should not think of our selves as sinners?

I think this would help others to grasp things better.

Proverbs 23:7 First Part which goes with many things the Lord has taught us about thoughts and words throughout the new and old testiment.

For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:

Blessings
FCJ

I'm sorry I'm a bit confused today.
If you are talking about the dots on the first line, Jim, that was my way of defining semantics, and not asking a particular question.

"For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he".
Yes, that, I think, is the secret. We may think we are following Jesus (thinking of oneself as a Christian) but living our lives from the heart is what actually counts.
If we truly believe what Jesus has done for us and give heartfelt thanks, our arrows would hit the Bulls-eye.

However, in our determination to do our best, being true and faithful, we may be hampered by distractions and in spite of our best efforts, we fall short of our aim. We sin, but being truly sorry, we are not sinners.

The third archer, though, not thinking of himself as a sinner, doesn't seem to worry whether his arrow even reaches the target. He doesn't accept the help of the Holy Spirit, and give his heart to the following of Jesus. He would not accept his being described as a sinner, because he goes to Church when he hasn't a golf match on Sundays. When he looks along the length of his arrow, he doesn't notice that straight as it may be, the "point" is blunt, and even if it did hit the target, it would fall to the ground.

But in all this, the danger for each of us is our failing when we are judgemental of other archers. Religion inevitably entails one being judgemental, but Christianity is different. A Christian's heart is filled with thanks, trust, and praise.

If you are talking about the dots on the first line, Jim, that was my way of defining semantics, and not asking a particular question.

"For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he".
Yes, that, I think, is the secret. We may think we are following Jesus (thinking of oneself as a Christian) but living our lives from the heart is what actually counts.
If we truly believe what Jesus has done for us and give heartfelt thanks, our arrows would hit the Bulls-eye.

However, in our determination to do our best, being true and faithful, we may be hampered by distractions and in spite of our best efforts, we fall short of our aim. We sin, but being truly sorry, we are not sinners.

The third archer, though, not thinking of himself as a sinner, doesn't seem to worry whether his arrow even reaches the target. He doesn't accept the help of the Holy Spirit, and give his heart to the following of Jesus. He would not accept his being described as a sinner, because he goes to Church when he hasn't a golf match on Sundays. When he looks along the length of his arrow, he doesn't notice that straight as it may be, the "point" is blunt, and even if it did hit the target, it would fall to the ground.

But in all this, the danger for each of us is our failing when we are judgemental of other archers. Religion inevitably entails one being judgemental, but Christianity is different. A Christian's heart is filled with thanks, trust, and praise.

Really great explanation sir. That surely did bless me. Thank You!
Blessings to you!

Hi Smiler,
No Sir that was not what I meant to say.
I was thinking along the line as how the foolish archer connected to the thread of sinner or not.

Reason I asked this is I thought you might give more depth to it So everyone would understand truly and not just think they do.

And Smiler that is exactly what you did!
So thank you very much!!
God Bless
FCJ

Back