Yesterday

11/02/2012

Confidence need not result in honour; I realized this yesterday, when I publicly answered "Ibex" to a question as to which was the national animal of Qatar. The answer was "Oryx". I was truly confident when I answered, but not all things that we say or do confidently results in honour or success. Sometimes we as believer's are confident, even overconfident of matters regarding the Word or other things. We may argue to establish our point, but after a while, sometimes a few years later, we may realize that what we said or did long back was not exactly the right thing.

Saul of Tarsus was confident, in fact overconfident, that what he was doing was right. In his own words....
If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless. (Philippians 3:4-6)

But later, he confessed regarding his former life.....
I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. (1 Timothy 1:12-16)

A testimony worth reading.

Let our confidence be in the mercies of God, rather than in our own strength as we learn from Saul's changed life.

Back