Your Thoughts About Outreach (Witnessing/Evangelism/Apologetics)

Greetings Everyone, I'd be interested in hearing some of your thoughts about our Biblical call to witnessing, evangelism and/or apologetics.

For instance, how do you define "witnessing", "evangelism" and/or "apologetics"? Also, do you believe they are different from one another in certain ways, or that all of them are basically referring to the same thing?

Do you think that all believers are called to engage in one or more of these methods of reaching the lost, or do you believe that the Lord has given each of them as gifts to certain Christians, but not others (and if the latter, why do you believe it so)?

Finally, there seems to be a popular belief or trend in the church today, specifically, that being an effective witness/evangelist for the Lord is mostly about what we do/how we act towards others as believers, rather than what we say to them (and, in fact, that talking to others about the faith should only be done as a last resort). Do you think that this trend is a good idea, or not so much? Why/Why not?

(One last thought on this: The Apostle Paul admonishes us to "speak the truth in love". Can we truly love the lost if we choose not to do so?)

Thanks everybody :) I know that it's a lot, so please feel free to comment on as much or as little of the above as you'd like to.

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - here are some Scriptures about this topic for you to consider if you'd like to.

Isaiah 43
10 “You are My witnesses,” declares the LORD,
“And My servant whom I have chosen,
In order that you may know and believe Me,
And understand that I am He.
Before Me there was no God formed,
And there will be none after Me.”
Matthew 5
13 “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men.
14 You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden;
15 nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.”
Mark 16
15 Jesus said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to all creation.”
Acts 1
8 "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses, both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.”
Romans 10
17 "Faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ!"
1 Peter 3
15 "Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence".

Greetings Everyone, I'd be interested in hearing some of your thoughts about our Biblical call to witnessing, evangelism and/or apologetics.

For instance, how do you define "witnessing", "evangelism" and/or "apologetics"? Also, do you believe they are different from one another in certain ways, or that all of them are basically referring to the same thing?

Do you think that all believers are called to engage in one or more of these methods of reaching the lost, or do you believe that the Lord has given each of them as gifts to certain Christians, but not others (and if the latter, why do you believe it so)?

Finally, there seems to be a popular belief or trend in the church today, specifically, that being an effective witness/evangelist for the Lord is mostly about what we do/how we act towards others as believers, rather than what we say to them (and, in fact, that talking to others about the faith should only be done as a last resort). Do you think that this trend is a good idea, or not so much? Why/Why not?

(One last thought on this: The Apostle Paul admonishes us to "speak the truth in love". Can we truly love the lost if we choose not to do so?)

Thanks everybody :) I know that it's a lot, so please feel free to comment on as much or as little of the above as you'd like to.

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - here are some Scriptures about this topic for you to consider if you'd like to.

Isaiah 43
10 “You are My witnesses,” declares the LORD,
“And My servant whom I have chosen,
In order that you may know and believe Me,
And understand that I am He.
Before Me there was no God formed,
And there will be none after Me.”
Matthew 5
13 “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men.
14 You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden;
15 nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.”
Mark 16
15 Jesus said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to all creation.”
Acts 1
8 "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses, both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.”
Romans 10
17 "Faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ!"
1 Peter 3
15 "Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence".
There be many ways to witnesses as you wrote. But some things me not allowed to do for safety reasons. The public preaching be more the mans responsibility. The God did did refer very much to the apostle and the man in such matters. We mostly prepare food and provide company for the poor or lonely at hostels or church functions

Hello Prim90, I agree with you about public preaching being the responsibility of men (that can be a pretty rough type of evangelism). In fact, I believe that public or street preaching is something that needs to directed by and blessed by God, as well.

That said, it seems that you have a great opportunity to talk about the Lord Jesus (on a more personal level) with those who you are preparing food and providing company for, yes?

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

Hi Papa Smurf
Love these questions. They are very helpful and I hope to learn from me.bers answers.

There are nNy ways to witness. I believe there are many different gifts given and we are given whatever gift, or gifts, fromGod to witness in the way He can use them. We are called to witness in the way that God chooses.
One day we did an exercise in church. We all had to partner up with someone we knew. Everyone was given two slips of paper. We were told to write one positive thing about our partner on each paper. Then they were collected. No names were given. There was a vardbiard image at the front of the middle aisle. The preacher pinned each slip to the cardboard untol you couldn't see the church He said "Look how many differentt gifts the church has been guven." I believe we needed each member with their gjft to be able to witness to anyone.

I agree that public preaching is the responsibility of men.

If we do not use our gifhlt we will lose ìt.
Yes I believe women have many different ways to witness abd support each other

The one ingredients we all need to witness properly is love for The Lord and love doe our neighbour. Jesus said By this will they know you are My disciples we should listen to The Holy Spirit and follow in the way we are led
Blessings to All

Papa the hostel be a fortnightly visitation one has built some warm friendships. The people mostly be pensioners or on sickness benefits for who the cards did never did fall so well in life. They enjoy our home cooking and sometimes books. There also be the smokers they always most happy to see us . There be a designated place to far for them because they not have transportation and to far to walk. The Australian tobacco much expensive 54 dollar for a 25 gram pack. So the Muslim shop they send us is very much cheap a 100gram bag for 50 dollar. So I very much stocked up with their orders.So they always very much happy to see. There be Bill and Gustav they really luv my oral dictation because they not see very well so they enjoy very much when I read to them. At the same time their company is very rewarding for us too. We do learn very much from them the old do enchant very much with their life experiences and stories. On a personal level they know we Christians and most know that the God looks over them, and a future restoration of equality shall one day wipe away their tears when paradise lost is one day restored. Apart from that work, church and study keeps one active enough. Papa I’m sure the God has given you much adventures in life far more than me.

Last edited:
This is a big topic to unpack but for the moment I think and I know in my life that evangelism/witnessing/apologetics is something that we can all do and that God has urged me to do ever since I first heard the gospel anyway.

God will equip us to reach more if we ask Him for help reaching more widely (and give us the power to do so).

I think in some churches, some people haven't actually asked Him for this gift and so that's why they don't have it. Or they may have asked but packed it away and forgotten all about it. In some instances we need to get our own lives in order before we reach out, and also do our homework and a bit of study - after all the Bible is a huge library of books! We need to know what God has said before we share it with others.

As for men having the responsibility to speak and witness, (as opposed to women, maybe being the handbag holders and toilet cleaners or whatever) right from the moment Jesus rose from the dead it was the WOMEN who were first at the scene and told everyone. They may not have been believed at first but they didn't hold back.

It's just in this world men get all miffed if women come first so we kind of have to let them go first. But often they won't. So there is no reason why women need to silence ourselves when we've got Good News to share.

Papa I’m sure the God has given you much adventures in life far more than me.
Hello again Prim90, I don't know about that. It's true that my life has been blessed in many ways, and I am VERY thankful for that, but your life sounds like one that is both interesting and blessed too, and no less than mine has been 🙂

Keep up your excellent works in His precious Name!

Blessings to you in Christ!!

--Papa Smurf

Galatians 6
9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.
10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.

Hi Papa Smurf
Love these questions. They are very helpful and I hope to learn from members answers.
Hello Cosia, I love this very important topic. After all, apart from witnessing/evangelism/apologetics, there is almost nothing else that we could not do if He simply took us Home as soon as He saved us.

Joni Erickson Tada has an interesting and encouraging quote about this that I'll post below (do you know her tragic, but WONDERFUL story by any chance)?

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - I too am looking forward to learning what our fellow members have to say in this thread 🙂👍👍

Joni Eareckson Tada - this is the only time in history when I get to fight for God.jpg

There are many ways to witness. I believe there are many different gifts given and we are given whatever gift, or gifts, from God to witness in the way He can use them. We are called to witness in the way that God chooses.
Hello again Cosia, I agree with you, we need to always be attentive and open to following the lead of Holy Spirit as His witnesses (especially since He knows the person we are speaking to in a way that we never could and, of course, because we aren't the ones who actually save people, He is).

As far as "witnessing" goes, I like to think of Christian "witnessing" as if we are in a courtroom setting. A courtroom "witness" is there to tell the jury all that they know (personally) about the case that is before them, what they've seen, heard and/or experienced, and often, what they felt about all of it as well.

I think the same can be applied to being a witness for Christ. IOW, we are to share with others what we have come to know about Him, personally, the difference(s) that coming and continuing to know Him has made in our lives, and how they can come to know Him too, just like we did.

Do you think of "witnessing" in the same way, or differently?

The one ingredient we all need to witness properly is love for The Lord and love for our neighbour.
I skipped down to this statement of yours for now because I don't want to make this post too long, and because I think that this is such an important point to discuss. I, however, believe that there are actually three vital ingredients that are needed to witness to others properly, and I believe that the Bible indicates that all of them are important.

The first, as you've just said, is a deep/profound love for God, while the second then, is "neighbor love". Finally, the third vital ingredient that is needed is, "truth" (which many in the church today seem to want to dismiss or exclude altogether when they witness/evangelize, but I do not believe that it is actually possible for them to do so .. and remain a true and proper witness for God).

We are (as the Apostle Paul directs us) to always, "speak the truth, in love" (Ephesians 4:15), never one without the other, because love is the only means by which the truth will ever be heard .. e.g. 1 Corinthians 13:1, even by those who are in desperate need of hearing it, and telling others the truth is the only way that we can truly love them (as God would). As the Apostle Paul also told us,

1 Corinthians 13
6 Love does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth.

So, do you think that we are basically on the same page about all of this, or do you understand some, or perhaps all of it differently somehow?

Thanks 🙂

--Papa Smurf

Last edited:
Hello again Cosia, I agree with you, we need to always be attentive and open to following the lead of Holy Spirit as His witnesses (especially since He knows the person we are speaking to in a way that we never could and, of course, because we aren't the ones who actually save people, He is).

As far as "witnessing" goes, I like to think of Christian "witnessing" as if we are in a courtroom setting. A courtroom "witness" is there to tell the jury all that they know (personally) about the case that is before them, what they've seen, heard and/or experienced, and often, what they felt about all of it as well.

I think the same can be applied to being a witness for Christ. IOW, we are to share with others what we have come to know about Him, personally, the difference(s) that coming and continuing to know Him has made in our lives, and how they can come to know Him too, just like we did.

Do you think of "witnessing" in the same way, or differently?

I skipped down to this statement of yours for now because I don't want to make this post too long, and because I think that this is such an important point to discuss. I, however, believe that there are actually three vital ingredients that are needed to witness to others properly, and I believe that the Bible indicates that all of them are important.

The first, as you've just said, is a deep/profound love for God, while the second then, is "neighbor love". Finally, the third vital ingredient that is needed is, "truth" (which many in the church today seem to want to dismiss or exclude altogether when they witness/evangelize, but I do not believe that it is actually possible for them to do so .. and remain a true and proper witness for God).

We are (as the Apostle Paul directs us) to always, "speak the truth, in love" (Ephesians 4:15), never one without the other, because love is the only means by which the truth will ever be heard .. e.g. 1 Corinthians 13:1, even by those who are in desperate need of hearing it, and telling others the truth is the only way that we can truly love them (as God would). As the Apostle Paul also told us,

1 Corinthians 13
6 Love does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth.

So, do you think that we are basically on the same page about all of this, or do you understand some, or perhaps all of it differently somehow?

Thanks 🙂

--Papa Smurf
Hello Papa Smurf
Oh yes we are definitely on the same page. It has to be what ìt means to you personally because we are being a witness if Christ.
It definitely has to be truth otherwise we are being a false witness.
I had actually just prayed for truth before I read your post.

I also believe that The Lord sends people to a particular Christian that will understand where they are coming from. Some sow seeds others water them, but it is The Holy Spirit that guides them.

God Bless You Papa Smurf
Thank you for being here.

Hello Cosia, I love this very important topic. After all, apart from witnessing/evangelism/apologetics, there is almost nothing else that we could not do if He simply took us Home as soon as He saved us.

Joni Erickson Tada has an interesting and encouraging quote about this that I'll post below (do you know hr tragic, but WONDERFUL story by any chance)?

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - I too am looking forward to learning what our fellow members have to say in this thread 🙂👍👍

Thank you for sharing that well said quote Papa Smurf . No I have never heard of Joni. Love what she said there.
Blesslingss

The words are all related but not interchangeable.

Witnessing is telling about your experience with the Lord or events where you saw Him work.

Evangelism is everything one does, either personally or as part of a larger effort to spread the news of Christ buying our salvation with His suffering.

Apologetics are the facts marshaled to address the doubts many have. You may call them argunents in the formal, non-combative sense.

How we live is an essential base, but it is not all. It is also important that those who see each of us act in a way that serves our Lord to know that we act so BECAUSE of Him.

On forums I notice members tend to do a bit more apologetics than witnessing/evangelism. All are needed to reach out.

I think living in a secular world often we forget, because of everyone else, to acknowledge the Lord and name Him, because those without God are so used to taking all the credit for what God actually does in our lives. It's often pride, and the world teaches everyone to 'take pride' in what they do, or 'make parents proud'. The entire school system of awards for sports, academics, etc is based on this. The whole structure of 'society' is based on the richest being the most visible and important.

But in Gods Kingdom, everything is turned upside down.

Also there can be difficult situations where you will cast your pearls before swine and wonder why you keep being rejected.

The words are all related but not interchangeable. Witnessing is telling about your experience with the Lord or events where you saw Him work.
Evangelism is everything one does, either personally or as part of a larger effort to spread the news of Christ buying our salvation with His suffering.
Apologetics are the facts marshaled to address the doubts many have. You may call them argunents in the formal, non-combative sense. How we live is an essential base, but it is not all. It is also important that those who see each of us act in a way that serves our Lord to know that we act so BECAUSE of Him.

Hello Siloam;

Well said and layed out, brother.

In 1974 I used to be intimidated by witnessing while in high school, attending church, youth group and playing guitar at Sunday worship. One day I was sitting at the back of the bus. My hair was long, levi jacket, Grand Funk t-shirt and dingo boots (remember them?) I saw these 4 kids I knew since grade school. They were what we termed back then, "Jesus freaks," two guys and two girls sharing a seat up front. I felt something about them so I went up and spoke to them. "What is it about you guys that is so different, together?" They looked at me with their beautiful eyes of sparkling purity and a feeling I could not describe. Their answer was simple while giving me eye contact. I felt something that day and I never forgot it, the reason I remember sharing today. My classmates were just "telling their story."

During a short mission trip to Central America in 1999 I had a conversation with a man from Belize. He lamented on the conditions of his country, the conflict next door between Guatemala and Honduras and how no hope was in sight. We engaged for about an hour and a half over coffee. It led to the discussion of my faith. He asked me why do I believe? Why would God allow so much suffering? I told him in my capacity the reason God "used" suffering to look at ourselves, at things we take for granted or ignore, and how choosing Him can assure us of the hope and the reason for the Cross. In my evangelism I felt the prompting and boldness of the Holy Spirit. It led me to quote Scripture aligned to our conversation. After returning to America, I stayed in touch with him and learned he was led to Christ through friends at church.

In 2004 my early studies at seminary I was confused by the term apologetics. Though I had gained knowledge of the Bible and Theology, I would never "master" the study of God and would always be a student for life. But in the capacity God gave me I could defend the Bible and my faith to others knowing (having faith) God filled me with the words at that time and moment.

In a word I encourage everyone who take the Great Commission serious, keep it simple, it's a lifetime discipline, so be sure to stay within your capacity. God will take the simple and expand it higher to all who cross our path for His glory.

Just the other day I was sharing Christ with my 5 year old niece. She asked me, do I listen to God? YIKES! I just realized she ministered to me!
I am still a growing disciple (Praise God) and still need to learn how to listen to Him.

God bless you, Siloam, and thank you for sharing.

This is a big topic to unpack but for the moment I think and I know in my life that evangelism/witnessing/apologetics is something that we can all do and that God has urged me to do ever since I first heard the gospel anyway. God will equip us to reach more if we ask Him for help reaching more widely (and give us the power to do so). I think in some churches, some people haven't actually asked Him for this gift and so that's why they don't have it. Or they may have asked but packed it away and forgotten all about it. In some instances we need to get our own lives in order before we reach out, and also do our homework and a bit of study - after all the Bible is a huge library of books! We need to know what God has said before we share it with others.
Hi Lanolin, I agree with you, though I (personally) believe that witnessing is more about our personal experience with the Lord (our own Christian story, if you will), so I think that not as much knowledge and understanding of God's word is required for witnessing, unlike evangelism or apologetics (though an ever increasing knowledge and understanding of God, and of the things of God, is NEVER a bad thing, of course :)).

As for men having the responsibility to speak and witness, (as opposed to women, maybe being the handbag holders and toilet cleaners or whatever) right from the moment Jesus rose from the dead it was the WOMEN who were first at the scene and told everyone. They may not have been believed at first but they didn't hold back. It's just in this world men get all miffed if women come first so we kind of have to let them go first. But often they won't. So there is no reason why women need to silence ourselves when we've got Good News to share.
When Prim90 mentioned "public preaching", my mind immediately went to Hell fire and brimstone "street" preaching for some reason (which is something that I don't believe that I've ever seen or heard of a woman doing, though that doesn't mean they haven't, and I do not believe that there is a Biblical mandate against women doing so). The things we are talking about in this thread however, witnessing/evangelism/apologetics, are most certainly things that women do (I, in fact, believe that God expects women to share their faith/preach the Gospel to the lost just as much as He expects men to).

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing that well said quote Papa Smurf . No I have never heard of Joni. Love what she said there.
Blesslingss
Here is the shortest article that I could find about her (if you are interested): https://www.joniandfriends.org/executive-profile-joni-eareckson-tada/

I first ran into her as a new believer 36+ years ago listening to her 5 minute radio program called, "Joni and Friends". I could tell immediately that there was something special about her, I just didn't realize how special at first :)

--Papa Smurf

I didn't know what any of those words even meant so i've learned something today.

So if I tell people what Christ has done for me personally, i'm witnessing.

Evangelism is promoting the Good news like when a weather man is enjoying telling his viewers its going to be a sunny week ahead. is this also based on a personal revelation or is it just basic bible preaching?

And, apologetics is about proving (or defending)something? proving what? the doctrines or our new birth, if the latter then this would be done in our actions.

good thread.

Last edited:
...apologetics is about proving (or defending) something? proving what? the doctrines or our new birth, if the latter then this would be done in our actions.
Of the three, apologetics is the only one where we Christians are the ones who are being approached (by skeptics/unbelievers), rather than the other way around (which is always the case with witnessing and evangelism). As such, we are commanded to be ready to make a defense of the things that we believe are true, from both the Bible, and from historic/orthodox Christianity/church doctrines/creeds/etc., to anyone who asks us to.

For instance, I think that one of the more common questions that skeptics ask concerns the exclusive claims that are made by us/by the Bible about Christianity, that our God is the only God, and that our way is the only way to reach Him .. e.g. John 14:6; Acts 4:12.

Perhaps it would be helpful to discuss (what I believe to be) the central "apologetics" verse in the Bible, as it is very instructive/has a LOT of different things to say about this topic (including the way that we are to go about the business of apologetics, in a 'rubber meeting the road' kind of sense).

1 Peter 3
15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.​

--Papa Smurf

Last edited:
Back