I Had To Make The Toughest Decision Of My Life This Morning

I had to decide to put my dog of fourteen years down this morning.

She has had diarrhea for a few days now. We were managing it with pumpkin and white rice and she was still acting relatively normal, until this yesterday and more this morning. She stopped eating, except for me to hand feed her and it was only a few pieces of kibble. Overnight she had worse diarrhea than she had been. Brought her to the ER vet this morning, my fiance came with me and we had bloodwork done and it was discovered that her kidneys were failing and she had non-regenerative anemia. So, I had to decide to try and treat her with aggressive fluid replacement to be sure her kidneys were in failure or have her put to sleep. I decided to let her go.

I didn't want her to stay in the ER Vet office for a couple of days, scared and not knowing where she was, and then find out that her kidneys were failing. Everything was pointing towards that they were. She wasn't incontinent, but she was peeing all over the apartment and had been for nearly two years. That was a sign that her kidneys were starting to fail. We had her tested for diabetes a little over a year and a half ago, but that came back fine. So, we thought it was just her getting older.

There will never be another dog like her. She was just such a sweet girl. She was Trixie girl, Big Brown, Trixels, and Trixers. She will always be remembered and there can never be another like her.

296596340_10160119577883048_3589552202563816935_n.jpg

182726_10150109398073048_8091424_n.jpg

134285_482216223047_7608196_o.jpg

So very sorry to hear of your loss. May God comfort you and your fiance at this difficult time.

May God Bless...
šŸ™

`

I had to decide to put my dog of fourteen years down this morning.

She has had diarrhea for a few days now. We were managing it with pumpkin and white rice and she was still acting relatively normal, until this yesterday and more this morning. She stopped eating, except for me to hand feed her and it was only a few pieces of kibble. Overnight she had worse diarrhea than she had been. Brought her to the ER vet this morning, my fiance came with me and we had bloodwork done and it was discovered that her kidneys were failing and she had non-regenerative anemia. So, I had to decide to try and treat her with aggressive fluid replacement to be sure her kidneys were in failure or have her put to sleep. I decided to let her go.

I didn't want her to stay in the ER Vet office for a couple of days, scared and not knowing where she was, and then find out that her kidneys were failing. Everything was pointing towards that they were. She wasn't incontinent, but she was peeing all over the apartment and had been for nearly two years. That was a sign that her kidneys were starting to fail. We had her tested for diabetes a little over a year and a half ago, but that came back fine. So, we thought it was just her getting older.

There will never be another dog like her. She was just such a sweet girl. She was Trixie girl, Big Brown, Trixels, and Trixers. She will always be remembered and there can never be another like her.

View attachment 10757

View attachment 10756

View attachment 10755
She was a beautiful dog. You have my condolences. A few years back my German shepherd had a debilitating stroke, and I had to make the same decision. May God comfort you.

We're sure Trixie had a good life. We had two with similar symptoms, one Farley a 16 year old Scottish terrier we had to put down on Christmas Day, after collapsing while our daughter was opening her presents; and another, a 15 year old chihuahua mix (Bonnie) died in my lap on the way to the vet. (Both were rescue dogs) These faithful friends are just too hard to lose, so hard, that we decided no more after Bonnie.

Last edited:
Losing a big part of your family is never easy and while there is nothing I can say to take away the pain; I hope you know that God is with you. My prayer is that you and your family can feel his peace and healing. Trixie Girl looks like she was an awesome pet. God be with the family..

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

Today is the first day that I have been able to formulate my own words after reading them. I have had just enough energy to go to work and take care of my kids, when I have had them, these past two weeks.

Tomorrow my fiance and I go to Disney World for the day. We call it Disney date. It is our favorite thing to do, especially when life has been rough and these past two weeks have been rough to say the least.

Hello naomanos
Hope you and your fiancee have a brilliant day tomorrow, with good weather.

I have never been to Disney World.
What are your favourite things to do there?
Blessings

Hello naomanos
Hope you and your fiancee have a brilliant day tomorrow, with good weather.

I have never been to Disney World.
What are your favourite things to do there?
Blessings

We usually go to Epcot first as they is usually a festival happening. The current one is the Flower and Garden Festival. There are food booths in the different countries and around Epcot near the world showcase. My favorite thing to eat is the seared scallops in Canada. They are usually about $8.00 for three of them and there are potatoes, green beans (the green beans got to my fiance) and bacon bits in a type of vinegar sauce.

We'll ride Soarin and Spaceship Earth and walk around the pyramid in Mexico.

After that, we'll go to the Magic Kingdom for the rest of the day, about 2pm till close. We'll eat dinner, usually at Liberty Tree Tavern. They have all you can eat pot roast, turkey and pork loin with stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy. They usually include salad and mac and cheese. If we don't eat there, we'll eat at Harbor House which is more quick serve. They have salmon, chicken fingers and fries, etc. Tomorrow we're going to eat at the Crystal Palace for the first time. It is a buffet style place with the characters from Winnie the Pooh walking around. My fiance loves Eeyore and is very excited about eating dinner there.

Then we'll ride the Haunted Mansion (our favorite ride), Pirates of the Caribbean, Carousel of Progress which is not an actual carousel, the people mover and I might be able to convince her to ride Big Thunder Mountain which is a roller coaster. We'll try and go on Haunted Mansion at least twice.

Thanks for explaining everything naomanos
It sounds like a fun packed day for you
Hope you can fit everything in.
I am with your fiancee, Eeyore is tops !
Have great fun,
God Bless

Back