“Alive Unto God”

I have learned the Christian life is not a changed life, though an outward change in a believer will evince God’s inward working. It is more accurately described as an exchanged life, in that the outcome is not us trying to live a life like Christ, but rather it is Christ Himself living His life in and through us.

This is analogous to us being a glove and the Spirit being the hand, which understanding usually requires years for the believer to comprehend scripturally. It’s not that we are replaced in our personhood, which is what the Father created and redeemed for eternal union and fellowship, but it is now in this lifetime that it is “Christ, who is our life” (Col 3:4); “yet not I, but Christ” (Gal 2:20). This means you will not be any more holy, righteous or saved in heaven than you are now (less the old man).

The work of God in the believer is in understanding that holiness and righteousness is not something which can be practiced, because it is a state of being, and works manifest them, as they are imputed (not imparted) to us by God through Christ: “But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption” (1 Cor 1:30).

I have discovered it helps me to understand that the key to realizing our unity with God is in understanding the difference between religion and Christianity. As I’ve once seen it well stated that, “religion is man reaching to God, but Christianity is God reaching to man.”​
-NC

“Alive Unto God”

“Likewise, reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God in Christ Jesus, our Lord” (Rom 6:11). It is an immense thing to see how we are “alive unto God.” I think a great many are trying to live to God. That is, they want to reach it in their responsible life, instead of seeing that it is “in Christ Jesus.”

I believe that many conceive of living to the Father as being in their responsible life down here; that is, they think it is in a life of practical righteousness and holiness that they are to live to the Father. The “likewise” is either forgotten or misunderstood, it would seem.

The Lord Jesus has died unto sin and lives unto God (Rom 6:10). He lives not only personally free from sin (He was ever this), but He is outside the whole range of sin. He lives unto God in scenes where sin can never come, and where all things are of God. His death and risen life are my title to live unto God in the same sphere.

Such is the grace of God that I may appropriate the Lord Jesus’ death and count that I have died unto sin (Rom 6:11; Col 3:3). It is appropriation that tests us. How often we stop at admiration! It is as we appropriate that we become spiritually robust. It is only thus that I could reach “alive unto God in Christ Jesus.” Death unto sin is not the terminus—it is the station en route—the terminus is “alive unto God in Christ Jesus.”

I could not live in sin—that is, in the life of Adam—and live unto God in Christ Jesus at the same time (though we still sin, Scripture never relates a saint as a sinner—NC). I must have died unto sin and reckon upon my death in Him in order to be able to live unto God in Him. “Dead unto sin” is not that I abstain from sinning, but I quit the life of sinful Adam altogether by the appropriation of the Last Adam’s death unto sin and count myself as a new creation alive unto God in Christ Jesus.

The result of this is that in my responsible life I yield myself to God and my members as instruments of righteousness to Him. It is because I know what it is to be “alive unto God” that I can do this. A good many are reversing the process. They are trying to live to God by putting the responsible life right. What a blessed thing it is to be under grace!

As we are attracted to the Lord Jesus by His love, we find his death between us and “our old man,” and between us and the world, the law and Satan. This is the way of real deliverance and happy freedom from what is evil here in ourselves and in the scene around.

—Charles Andrew Coates (1862-1945)

MJS daily devotional excerpt for July 11

“We should always be prepared for circumstances that will arise, and for blessings that are to come, without foreseeing what these circumstances and blessings will be. This preparation consists in attention to present responsibility, and acceptance of present discipline.” —MJS

“If day by day we first seek divine direction, and then follow it, we shall be ready, when new circumstances arise, for the new blessings which will be offered. Today should be preparation for tomorrow. The only proof that we shall be equal to tomorrow’s test is that we are meeting today’s test believingly and courageously. The only evidence that we shall be willing for God’s will tomorrow is that we are subject to His will today.” -W.G.S.

“Our Lord has special reserves of grace for special needs. If ever you feel that you could not go through a certain trial, that if you had to face that, you just could not go through with it, you are taking on something that you have no right to take on.

“If the Lord calls you to go through fire or water, He has a special reserve of grace for you in that. And that grace will be from the throne of grace. It is the throne above, mediating grace for need and suffering as it is required.” -T. A-S.

I have learned the Christian life is not a changed life, though an outward change in a believer will evince God’s inward working. It is more accurately described as an exchanged life, in that the outcome is not us trying to live a life like Christ, but rather it is Christ Himself living His life in and through us.

Hello netchaplain;

I read Alive Unto God carefully and there are several points in order that I would like to discuss with you. I'm going to dissect your teaching starting with change and exchange.

The Christian life is a changed life reference Ephesians 4:17-24. The old life remains unchanged with desires of sinful ways that oppose God and self-gratification of ourself. The new life is change by trust and faith in following Christ.

When we renew our lives as an exchange in Christ is letting go of our sin and replacing it with and obtaining obedience. Or, God sent His only Begotten Son to the cross in place of us reference 2 Corinthians 5:21.

Your thoughts?

God bless you, Bob and your family.

Hello netchaplain;

I read Alive Unto God carefully and there are several points in order that I would like to discuss with you. I'm going to dissect your teaching starting with change and exchange.

The Christian life is a changed life reference Ephesians 4:17-24. The old life remains unchanged with desires of sinful ways that oppose God and self-gratification of ourself. The new life is change by trust and faith in following Christ.
Hi Brother! Just wanted to say that an exchanged life is reference to the believer giving up the old man for the new man. We are no longer in the old man ("flesh" or sin nature), but now in the new man (new nature created after Christ's image - Col 3:10).

We have the promise that we will never again be under the "dominion" of sin (Rom 6:14). This to me means the sin nature in us can never again cause us to desire after it. It's in us, but we are not in it (Ro 8:9); and it's reason continuing in us is to exercise our faith concerning God's Word about it.

God's blessings to your Family too!

Back