“Power Belongeth Unto God”

Until we leave this life, the walk of a believer is always exactly at the place where God desires him at any given time, because He is using everything in our lives at all times to progressively “conform” our manner of life here. This means all that we encounter and obtain (no more and no less) is exactly what He not only already knows of but also uses to mature us in His Son Jesus.

“Power Belongeth Unto God”

“We have this treasure in earthen vessels that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us” (2 Cor 72:11). God never gives intrinsic (of its own accord—NC) power to His saints. “God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this, that power belongeth unto God (Psa 62:11). If this is important in the lives of the saints, how much more, if I may draw a distinction, is it for those who are called upon to serve in the Word. Yet in every service and in every action in the lives of God’s people, His power is needful, that they may walk and serve in the energy of the Spirit and in the manifestation of the life of the Lord Jesus in their mortal flesh.

In order for the Christian life to be “not I, but Christ,” the Father’s discipline is suited and adapted to each individual soul. This is the reason why, I doubt not, that all speculations as to what was the nature of Paul’s thorn in the flesh, end in nothing. God has wisely seen fit to leave it untold. Were it made known, we would have perhaps settled that it was not ours (e.g. that we have no thorn—NC), and then have left it there. To have left it untold, gives us to see that there was a great principle of God’s dealings, seen in this man’s case, but applicable to all. Each would have his suited thorn, the very thing that would counteract his natural tendency; and so act to strip him of every pretension to power, and break any fancied strength of man.

We see this on every hand, but we see it more clearly in our own soul’s history. For it is not always that another is permitted to know the secret thorn which rankles in the breast, such as that we would give the world to remove, until we know the “end of the Lord.” He presses home the “stake” which pins us to the earth, as it were, in much powerlessness. You see this at times, for instance, in incongruous marriages. The soul is worn away, especially in a sensitive, spiritual mind; and there is no earthly power which can change the sorrow, and heavenly deliverance is withheld.

Again, there is a child whose conduct breaks the heart of a parent; every measure fails to deal with him, and the “thorn” rankles deeply in the wounded heart. It may be that some disgrace is permitted, as to which the soul feels that death were easier to beat. It may be that slander has stung the soul with deeper pain. There may be, too, some human weakness, which renders the afflicted one an object of pain to those who love him, or of ridicule to others. Such as these, and the many sorrows of the way are used of the Father as the thorn, to curb the energy of the flesh, to break the strength of “man.”

Circumstances, friends, relatives, health and good name all are touched by Wisdom in this holy discipline of the soul. These things in the hand of the Father are like the river banks which on either side guide the stream of waters useful and fructifying, which, if flowing onwards without these guides, would devastate all around, instead of bearing a blessing on their bosom. How often have we not thought what good Christians we might have been if circumstances were different; in short, if the banks which carry the river were broken down. Nay, these are the wise dealings of our Father to keep us just in the channel and path where we are, in order to glorify Him.

There is a “threefold cord” (Ecc 4:12) which must be found in the saint if he would serve his Lord aright: the motive, the energy and the end. At times the motive may be right and the end also, but the energy may be but the human vessel (Zec 4:6) working out, as it supposes, the things of the Lord. All three must go together, and this is the object of this disciplinary process that all may be of the Father, and not of us.

- F G Patterson

Excerpt from MJS devotional for June 20:

“What becomes us now is to have the Lord Jesus before us, and not the correction of the old man. The snare of trying to improve oneself is very common, and it is important to see, that however well-meaning it may be, it is really a denial that our old man has been crucified, and a revival of that which has been judged in the death of the Cross.” – MJS

http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

Until we leave this life, the walk of a believer is always exactly at the place where God desires him at any given time, because He is using everything in our lives at all times to progressively “conform” our manner of life here. This means all that we encounter and obtain (no more and no less) is exactly what He not only already knows of but also uses to mature us in His Son Jesus.

I can't get past this first part.
That is so not true.
There are far too many believers no place close to being where they should be.

If anyone believes all believers are right where they are supposed to be, lacks wisdom and understanding.

I find this devotion a bit hard to understand.

Jesus did have a crown of thorns that at the time, he was powerless to remove as he was on the cross. GOd didnt put it there, his mocking enemies did. But he wasnt wearing them when he was resurrected, so, someone must have removed it!

Also, its quite clear that Pauls thorn in the flesh was 'a messenger from Satan who was sent to buffet him' as it says in the Bible. So it was Satan. But Paul saw the benefit because it kept him from becoming too proud.

To further explain concerning the spiritual growth of believers (which are those born again), all are at a certain level of learning to “walk in the Spirit,” and this learning will continue to progress until we’re taken out of the world. God has each on a preplanned course and are growing in accordance with all that He has purposed concerning our “being conformed to the image of His Son” (Rom 8:29).

This “conformation” is complete concerning being sons (children) of God, as Christ is the Son of God, but concerning living according to God’s holiness and pleasure this involves an unceasing progression, and the position each are at concerning this level of maturity is where God has them—for now—which maturity will ever progress.

John Gill:
“He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son; having perfect, distinct, special knowledge of them, joined with love to them, he predetermined, or fore-appointed them in his eternal mind, in his everlasting and unchangeable purposes and decrees to this end, conformity to the image of Christ; which is not to be understood of the Spirit of Christ: God's elect indeed are chosen to be holy, and through sanctification of the Spirit.”

Jesus did have a crown of thorns that at the time, he was powerless to remove as he was on the cross. GOd didnt put it there, his mocking enemies did. But he wasnt wearing them when he was resurrected, so, someone must have removed it!

Also, its quite clear that Pauls thorn in the flesh was 'a messenger from Satan who was sent to buffet him' as it says in the Bible. So it was Satan. But Paul saw the benefit because it kept him from becoming too proud.
Yes, whatever it was literally it was used to assit him in maintaining humility ("lest I should be exalted above measure").

Thanks for your reply Lan, and God bless!

Lanolin,
Think for a moment.
They took His body and prepared it for burial as unto their customs.
Why would the crown of thorns be left.
They may have even removed it after the took Him down.

Paul's thorn in the side was not there to humble him..
Blessings

Im saying Jesus didnt remove the thorn himself as he was powerless to when he was on the cross.
PAul couldnt remove his thorn but he did say it was the thorn humbling him, was there for a reason. Lest I be exalted above measure equals not getting above yourelf, i.e being humble.

If you read the Bible, thats what it says, Im not saying anything different. Im not saying you go and grasp these thorns yourself trying to yank them out as they will tear you to shreds.. But you need to learn to recognise them, deal with them sensibly as they are not from God. Why do thorns and thistles grow. Look in Genesis. Before the fall, there werent any and you could probably walk around in the garden barefoot.

Thorns try and choke the word of God - see Matthew 13:22

They are likened to the worries and cares of this world.

God wants a believer to grow in faith at a rate that they will cooperate with him as they move together in spirit to the likeness of Christ. He already knows their current and future position, whether they are crawling, walking or running to the finish line of perfection and complete conversion. Each believer is at different places on the path to perfection. God has them where they should be to know how to deal with them, and when thus to apply a ‘thorn’ or anchor at times in their soulish minds to humble them, To make them realize who they are really serving; self or God.

Who are we to know where a believer should be in the process of gaining a larger measure of faith and fruit, as he/she is being led in sanctification, moving evermore towards perfection?

Bless all,

APAK

I'm of the belief that we first must learn to know why each thorn is present. Then we grow in love, truth and faith. God will then decide when to remove them in his time. It is for our own good. We will know when the thorn is gone, as God is thus pleased with us.

APAK

I'm of the belief that we first must learn to know why each thorn is present. Then we grow in love, truth and faith. God will then decide when to remove them in his time. It is for our own good. We will know when the thorn is gone, as God is thus pleased with us.

APAK
What backs this thinking?
God told Paul His Grace was Sufficient.
Meaning you have the power and authority already. You take care of it. After all that is what Paul was teaching.
Blessings

We have two different ideas here...
1. Grace is given in sufficient quantity to endure the curve-balls God lays in out path once in awhile that does make us correct or refocus out calling or direction we are heading for sanctification and faith reasons.
2. Because of this grace sufficiency we are empowered and blessed to continue our spiritual work, although with the blessing that God gave to perform in his way and direction. This grace is not an independent power or favor t do what we want. This is not considered my power and authority now. This given grace has a specific purpose for each of us as we cooperate with God's purpose as we become more like Christ in understanding and knowledge.

APAK

Jesus did not cast the crown of thorn out, he had to endure it on the cross.

You need to understand that, or you will go through this life thinking you never have to suffer anything. Yes suffering is unfair and Jesus was innocent, but there will be times when we have to take up our cross, and Jesus took up his cross on behalf of others. This is how we learn patience.

It is easy to say, oh just cast it out. The reality is, there are situations that when it comes to the crunch, we cannot simply cast out or avoid or escape. Wisdom is discerning what that is.

Paul was actually told by Jesus that upon his conversion, he would learn what suffering really is. It is because Paul caused so much suffering as a Pharisee that he learned what it was like to suffer as a christian, and even, to count it all as joy. He was stoned, shipwrecked, beaten, flogged, persecuted. He was slandered and abused. Is a christian life easy?

I dont think so, the other day, I was told to f-- off by my workmate. Simply because I was a christian. Can I just tell him to get lost? No, I have to work with him. I have a job to do. I need to have grace, and give my workmate grace and show him what that is.

Jesus did not cast the crown of thorn out, he had to endure it on the cross.

You need to understand that, or you will go through this life thinking you never have to suffer anything. Yes suffering is unfair and Jesus was innocent, but there will be times when we have to take up our cross, and Jesus took up his cross on behalf of others. This is how we learn patience.

It is easy to say, oh just cast it out. The reality is, there are situations that when it comes to the crunch, we cannot simply cast out or avoid or escape. Wisdom is discerning what that is.

Paul was actually told by Jesus that upon his conversion, he would learn what suffering really is. It is because Paul caused so much suffering as a Pharisee that he learned what it was like to suffer as a christian, and even, to count it all as joy. He was stoned, shipwrecked, beaten, flogged, persecuted. He was slandered and abused. Is a christian life easy?

I dont think so, the other day, I was told to f-- off by my workmate. Simply because I was a christian. Can I just tell him to get lost? No, I have to work with him. I have a job to do. I need to have grace, and give my workmate grace and show him what that is.

Hi Lanolin,
Two things here please.
1. Please use the quote button in a reply so everyone knows who and what you are replying to.
2. You have taken things I said and applied them to other things and built a case.
....in doing so it just uses some truth to confuse the issue.
Blessings my friend

Because of this grace sufficiency we are empowered and blessed to continue our spiritual work, although with the blessing that God gave to perform in his way and direction. This grace is not an independent power or favor t do what we want.
God's Grace is for all areas of our life. Not just Spiritual.
If it is His Will and that is written in His Word and it has been given unto us to do - His Grace is sufficient for us to do so.

God told us to cast out demons and not pray for Him to do anything.
God told us to lay hands on the sick and not think it was to teach someone anything.

God has placed much in our Hands. We can make up all sorts of religious ideas why something is there or off or we can exercise our authority and change it.

Cturtle can I use Lanolin and her last statement as a launch point?
Her workmate is the 'thorn' or the 'curve ball' placed in her path, as she moves forward in faith and spirit. She has grace already as a believer and I doubt her workmate will have this grace. She has to deal with it, and it will be dealt with once she demonstrates to God in humility her faith and love for God in Christ. She serves God and not her ego or natural state that is 'dead.' The thorn will be then removed and she will be rewarded with more faith as she further conforms to the image of Christ.

Bless you,

APAK

God's Grace is for all areas of our life. Not just Spiritual.
If it is His Will and that is written in His Word and it has been given unto us to do - His Grace is sufficient for us to do so.

God told us to cast out demons and not pray for Him to do anything.
God told us to lay hands on the sick and not think it was to teach someone anything.

God has placed much in our Hands. We can make up all sorts of religious ideas why something is there or off or we can exercise our authority and change it.
Don't we continue to cooperate with God in sanctification once saved? Lest we fall into the easy trap of eventually serving self and not God. We work in spirit not alone, with God and in Christ, within each other.

Bless you,

APAK

Cturtle can I use Lanolin and her last statement as a launch point?
Her workmate is the 'thorn' or the 'curve ball' placed in her path, as she moves forward in faith and spirit. She has grace already as a believer and I doubt her workmate will have this grace. She has to deal with it, and it will be dealt with once she demonstrates to God in humility her faith and love for God in Christ. She serves God and not her ego or natural state that is 'dead.' The thorn will be then removed and she will be rewarded with more faith as she further conforms to the image of Christ.

Bless you,

APAK
You speak as if God put this person in her life on purpose.
Wake up and look around. There is so much evil and wicked fleshly people everywhere.

For Lanolin it was simply a choice. She walks in His Love or her flesh.

We don't get rewarded with more faith.
We DEVELOP our Faith .

Don't we continue to cooperate with God in sanctification once saved? Lest we fall into the easy trap of eventually serving self and not God. We work in spirit not alone, with God and in Christ, within each other.

Bless you,

APAK
Your reaching here and confusing things.
This really is not the point at question.

Back