1 John 2:15-17

1 John 2:15-17 King James Version (KJV)

15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Easy English Bible

15 Whoever loves the wrong values of this world cannot also love God our Father. So I tell all of you, do not love the wrong values of this world. 16 When people only want to please themselves, this is wrong. Sometimes people want to have all the things that they see. This is wrong. Sometimes people want to tell other people what great things they have done. Sometimes they want to tell them how rich they are. This is also wrong. None of these ideas comes from the Father. They come from loving the wrong things in this world. 17 God has begun to destroy the wrong things in this world. Those who want bad things will die. But those who do what God wants will live for ever.

© Wycliffe Associates (UK), 1997-2005

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

15 We are to put this world in high regard within our lives. We are to love God and not this world, we are to love Him and not love sin. This does not mean we will not care about the world because Christ loves the world. We just are not to value anything of this world more than we love the Lord.

16 Most things of this world are caused by the desires of the flesh, God does give us blessings in this life like family and He expects us to love them but not more than Him. The things that keep us from Him involve us loving the things of this world.

17 The things within this world pass away but the treasures of God last forever, we are not to build up our treasures on earth because they will pass away but we are to lay up our treasures in heaven, this brings God the glory. We are to seek the praise of this world but seek out to praise the Lord.

15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Easy English Bible

15 Whoever loves the wrong values of this world cannot also love God our Father. So I tell all of you, do not love the wrong values of this world. 16 When people only want to please themselves, this is wrong. Sometimes people want to have all the things that they see. This is wrong. Sometimes people want to tell other people what great things they have done. Sometimes they want to tell them how rich they are. This is also wrong. None of these ideas comes from the Father. They come from loving the wrong things in this world. 17 God has begun to destroy the wrong things in this world. Those who want bad things will die. But those who do what God wants will live for ever.

15 We are to put this world in high regard within our lives. We are to love God and not this world, we are to love Him and not love sin. This does not mean we will not care about the world because Christ loves the world. We just are not to value anything of this world more than we love the Lord.

16 Most things of this world are caused by the desires of the flesh, God does give us blessings in this life like family and He expects us to love them but not more than Him. The things that keep us from Him involve us loving the things of this world.

17 The things within this world pass away but the treasures of God last forever, we are not to build up our treasures on earth because they will pass away but we are to lay up our treasures in heaven, this brings God the glory. We are to seek the praise of this world but seek out to praise the Lord.

Well said!

The 'world' does not mean the world of God's creation. But it does mean "the kingdoms of this world"and the way of the world and it's objectives,and it's asserted 'rights'.
It is the 'world'that does not have God at the centre of it but man. And where the creation is worshipped not the creator.

In a Christ
gerald

God is Love. 1 John 4:8
We love God
We love the thingds of God
We love people

Do not love the things of this world. 1 John 2:15
God gives usd All Things to Enjoy 1 Timothy 6:17

Pretty cut and dry in my belief
No sir I do not love my new boat..........I "Enjoy it big time"
No sir I do not love fried chicken .... However I do enjoy it

People over the years have made the word Love very sloppy !! I mean if God IS Love then how can we place our new shirt on this level ? How can wee bring God down to the levelof a new shirt ? We Can Not.

Now people have also come up with the deal that there are many different types of Love.
No sir - I do not believe this nor will I accept any reasoning to this for Clearly it is written in Gods Word
God is Love. 1 John 4:8
We love God
We love the thingds of God
We love people

Do not love the things of this world. 1 John 2:15
God gives usd All Things to Enjoy 1 Timothy 6:17

If all these levels of Love were true - then why is it written God IS Love and Do Not love the things of this world ? No Sir -
We Love God and We Love the things of God and we Love People - after that love not.
God Bless
Jim

Easy English Bible

I think that the big thing that sticks out to me is that if anyone loves the world, the Love of the Father is not in them. It does not say they don't love the Father. It says they don't understand how much they are loved by The Father.

God Bless

Back