1 John

M

Mark_18

1 John

1 John 5:5 makes it sound like only those who overcome the battle truly believe. In this version that is: "And the ones who win this battle against the world are the ones who believe that Jesus is the Son of God. " But the King James and others makes it more clear that "And who can win this battle against the world? Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God."

The first one's not a very good translation if you ask me.

Hi Mark,

Personally I see nothing wrong with either one? I get the same message from both the more "modern" one (since I do not know what it is) and the King James. Well, that's me though. Maybe you saw some error I didn't.

1 John 5:5 makes it sound like only those who overcome the battle truly believe. In this version that is: "And the ones who win this battle against the world are the ones who believe that Jesus is the Son of God. " But the King James and others makes it more clear that "And who can win this battle against the world? Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God."

The first one's not a very good translation if you ask me.

The NIV and New Living states "only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God" verses a more passive statement in other translations. Either way; I think it says...ONLY THOSE who win the battle-will be those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God.:D

:groupray:

Quite simply put faith in Christ can move any mountain but without such faith one is completely lost:

1Jn 5:5

(ASV) And who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

(BBE) Who is able to overcome the world but the man who has faith that Jesus is the Son of God?

(Bishops) Who is it that ouercommeth ye worlde, but he which beleueth that Iesus is the sonne of God?

(CEV) No one can defeat the world without having faith in Jesus as the Son of God.

(Darby) Who is he that gets the victory over the world, but he that believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

(DRB) Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

(EMTV) Who is he that overcomes the world, if not he that believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

(ESV) Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

(Geneva) Who is it that ouercommeth this world, but he which beleeueth that Iesus is that Sonne of God?

(GNB) Who can defeat the world? Only the person who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

(GNT) τίς ἐστιν ὁ νικῶν τὸν κόσμον εἰ μὴ ὁ πιστεύων ὅτι ᾿Ιησοῦς ἐστιν ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ Θεοῦ;

(GNT-BYZ+) τιςG5101 I-NSM εστινG1510 V-PAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM νικωνG3528 V-PAP-NSM τονG3588 T-ASM κοσμονG2889 N-ASM ειG1487 COND μηG3361 PRT-N οG3588 T-NSM πιστευωνG4100 V-PAP-NSM οτιG3754 CONJ ιησουςG2424 N-NSM εστινG1510 V-PAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM υιοςG5207 N-NSM τουG3588 T-GSM θεουG2316 N-GSM

(GNT-TR) τις εστιν ο νικων τον κοσμον ει μη ο πιστευων οτι ιησους εστιν ο υιος του θεου

(GNT-TR+) τιςG5101 I-NSM εστινG1510 V-PAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM νικωνG3528 V-PAP-NSM τονG3588 T-ASM κοσμονG2889 N-ASM ειG1487 COND μηG3361 PRT-N οG3588 T-NSM πιστευωνG4100 V-PAP-NSM οτιG3754 CONJ ιησουςG2424 N-NSM εστινG1510 V-PAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM υιοςG5207 N-NSM τουG3588 T-GSM θεουG2316 N-GSM

(GNT-WH+) τιςG5101 I-NSM | εστινG1510 V-PAI-3S [δε]G1161 CONJ | [δε]G1161 CONJ εστινG1510 V-PAI-3S | οG3588 T-NSM νικωνG3528 V-PAP-NSM τονG3588 T-ASM κοσμονG2889 N-ASM ειG1487 COND μηG3361 PRT-N οG3588 T-NSM πιστευωνG4100 V-PAP-NSM οτιG3754 CONJ ιησουςG2424 N-NSM εστινG1510 V-PAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM υιοςG5207 N-NSM τουG3588 T-GSM θεουG2316 N-GSM

(GW) Who wins the victory over the world? Isn't it the person who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

(HNT) מי המנצח את־העולם כי אם־המאמין בישוע שהוא בן־האלהים׃

(HOT)

(HOT+)

(ISV) Who overcomes the world? Is it not the person who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

(JPS)

(KJV) Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

(KJV+) WhoG5101 isG2076 he that overcomethG3528 theG3588 world,G2889 butG1508 he that believethG4100 thatG3754 JesusG2424 isG2076 theG3588 SonG5207 of God?G2316

(KJV-1611) Who is he that ouercommeth the world, but he that beleeueth that Iesus is the Sonne of God?

(KJVA) Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

(KJVR) Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

(LXX)

(MKJV) Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

(Murdock) For who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

(RV) And who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

(Vulgate) quis est qui vincit mundum nisi qui credit quoniam Iesus est Filius Dei

(Webster) Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

(WNT) Who but the man that believes that Jesus is the Son of God overcomes the world?

(YLT) who is he who is overcoming the world, if not he who is believing that Jesus is the Son of God?

All the translations I have, about 10 or so and the Greek text too as sited above leaves no doubt as to the over comer, simply the one that believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

So then. What is a believer. It that one who mentally assents to the fact that Jesus is God? Or is he/she the one who acts on it and lives for Him?

Childlike faith- simple trust and unquestioning belief. One can miss heaven by 18 inches ( the distance from the head to the heart) if one has only head knowledge. To know about something is not the same as deep down belief.

So then. What is a believer. It that one who mentally assents to the fact that Jesus is God? Or is he/she the one who acts on it and lives for Him?
I've been turning this over and over lately in my life. Was I a Christian a year ago...I prayed and believed? Was I reborn? No.

On Marks observation, well both translations sound the same. I'd question what it means to believe?

I've been turning this over and over lately in my life. Was I a Christian a year ago...I prayed and believed? Was I reborn? No.

On Marks observation, well both translations sound the same. I'd question what it means to believe?
Personally- I would simply believe Him. If your fith is in Christ you will not go wrong.
:)

True belief: One understands there is a Savior, and this Savior can save him / her on the premise that they now understand they are sinners. But, this, at this point is only intellectual. What else is required? When we read about someone believing unto salvation in the Bible we too must understand that one coming to Christ does so with repentance and a contrite heart. The central point is that a person must simply trust in Christ according to the Scripture which includes a contrite heart and repentance. True conversion that results from “REAL” Biblical belief in Christ as one’s savior does not preclude perfection in this life, before or during our human existence. It does, however, make us a new creature in Christ, but not a perfect sinless creature. We have only to read and pay close attention to the Biblical writers of their failures, (sin), to appreciate that God’s grace is far greater than our sin, not only unto salvation but in our daily walk.

Back