1 Kings 1:47-49

1 Kings 1:47-49
KJV 47 And moreover the king's servants came to bless our lord king David, saying, God make the name of Solomon better than thy name, and make his throne greater than thy throne. And the king bowed himself upon the bed. 48 And also thus said the king, Blessed be the LORD God of Israel, which hath given one to sit on my throne this day, mine eyes even seeing it. 49 And all the guests that were with Adonijah were afraid, and rose up, and went every man his way.

American English Bible
47 and the king's servants are going in to praise our lord King David, saying, May God make the name of Solomon better than your name and his throne greater than your throne.
'Right now, the king is bowing before [God] from his bed, 48 saying: May Jehovah the God of IsraEl be praised, because today He has appointed one of my seed to sit on my throne while my eyes can still see it!'
49 Well, all the guests of AdoniJah were shocked… and then they just left.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

47 Blessings at that time were viewed as very important and most of the times were sending as coming from God by man. They refer to God as David’s God which shows they were not Jewish but also shows even though they are not Jewish they had a high respect for God and David, they did not even attempt to send the blessing in the name a one of the gods they may have followed. Solomon’s kingdom would be larger and his name would be more well known and also would have more wealth.

48 This refers to David speaking; he gave praise to the Lord. The Lord always deserves praise. David was king but allowing Solomon to have control, it was kind of training for the kingdom; if Solomon made a mistake David would have helped him through it. David was close to death.

49 They did not want to go against the kingdom any longer, they may have feared going against God wanted but either way they knew that Adonijah stood no chance as being king; they may have realized he was not a king as he claimed to be.

Back