1 Kings 2:1-4

1 Kings 2:1-4King James Version (KJV)
2 Now the days of David drew nigh that he should die; and he charged Solomon his son, saying,
2 I go the way of all the earth: be thou strong therefore, and shew thyself a man;
3 And keep the charge of the Lord thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself:
4 That the Lord may continue his word which he spake concerning me, saying, If thy children take heed to their way, to walk before me in truth with all their heart and with all their soul, there shall not fail thee (said he) a man on the throne of Israel.
American English Bible
1 Well, the time for David's death drew near, and he spoke to his son Solomon and said, 'I'm going the way of all on the earth. 2 So now, you must be strong and show that you're a man. 3 Follow the instructions of Jehovah your God… walk in His ways and follow the Commandments, rules, and decisions that are written about in the Law of Moses, so you'll understand what you should do when it comes to all the things that I will tell you. 4 Then Jehovah will prove the thing that He promised: If your children will pay attention to the way that they should walk before Me wholeheartedly and in truth, there will never fail to be a man who sits on the throne of IsraEl.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

1 This was his final instructions this shows the importance of him telling this to Solomon because he wanted to say this before his death. There are some things people want to make sure they say before their death, this was the same with David here.

2 David was referring to death, death is a part of life, from the moment we are born we begin to die. David was not saying that if Solomon cried he was not a man but he was saying do not allow your grief to change you and defeat the grief and perhaps even allow the it to make you stronger, we can allow things to destroy us if we allow it.

3 This was good advice and advice we can listen to, we should follow the ways of the Lord.

4 Israel would later have no king on the throne because of them not obeying God. Solomon’s reign went well but many after him were against God and some followed the ways of the Lord. Christ reign will never end.

Back