1 Kings 3:10-12

1 Kings 3:10-12 King James Version (KJV)

10 And the speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing.

11 And God said unto him, Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment;

12 Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee.

An American English Bible
With Old Testament based on the Greek Septuagint

10 Well, this thing that Solomon asked for was pleasing to Jehovah, 11 so He replied: 'Because you have asked this thing from Me, and you didn't ask for a long life, or for wealth, or for the lives of your enemies, and all you asked for yourself is the understanding to judge righteously; 12 {Look!} I have done what you asked. {Look!} I'm giving you an intelligent and wise heart… there has never been anyone before you, nor will there ever be anyone who will arise after you that will be like you.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

10 To please the Lord should always be something we want to do and to do this we do what He wants often times instead of what we want.

11 Solomon went beyond what he wanted and asked for something that would be the best for his kingdom. If God would allow us one thing would we be selfish or be more like Solomon thinking of others who would be influenced by us?

12 Jesus was wise not because He was man but wise because He was God, Solomon was wise also because of God but was given a wisdom more than any other man would have.

Back