1 Kings 3:5-6

1 Kings 3:5-6 King James Version (KJV)

5 In Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream by night: and God said, Ask what I shall give thee.

6 And Solomon said, Thou hast shewed unto thy servant David my father great mercy, according as he walked before thee in truth, and in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart with thee; and thou hast kept for him this great kindness, that thou hast given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is this day.

An American English Bible
With Old Testament based on the Greek Septuagint

5 And there, the Lord appeared to Solomon while he was sleeping that night, and said: 'Solomon; Ask for whatever you might wish for yourself.'

6 And Solomon replied: 'You've shown great mercy to your servant, my father David, and he walked with You in truth, justice, and with a pure heart. Then You guarded him and showed him great mercy by allowing his son to sit upon his throne, which has happened today.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

5 This showed how special Solomon was for God to come to him in a dream few people had this happen to them. This was a special request God had given to Solomon, it also shows that God knew Solomon very well because he would not ask for something that would hurt his kingdom because he knew God had set it up.

6 Solomon was there helping his father and showed him the respect he should have when David’s throne was trying to be stolen and because of his loyalty Solomon is rewarded with this request.

Back