1 Kings 3:7-9

1 Kings 3:7-9 King James Version (KJV)

7 And now, O Lord my God, thou hast made thy servant king instead of David my father: and I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in.

8 And thy servant is in the midst of thy people which thou hast chosen, a great people, that cannot be numbered nor counted for multitude.

9 Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?

An American English Bible
With Old Testament based on the Greek Septuagint

7 And now, O Jehovah my God; You have appointed Your servant in place of my father David. Yet, I'm just a boy who doesn't even know when to enter and when to leave. 8 However, Your servant [now rules] in the midst of this mighty [nation] that You've chosen, and which is so numerous that it can't be counted. 9 So, give your servant a heart to listen and make [wise] decisions for Your people in justice, and to recognize the difference between what's good and what's bad. For, who can bear the weight of such judgments?

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

7 This is Solomon speaking he clearly knew the story of how his father was made king even though his grandfather was not and how his father was once a shepherd. Solomon also knows that the Lord has chosen him to be on David’s throne after his death.

8 Solomon knew that his kingdom was great and that the people were the Lord’s so him being in charge was special.

9 Solomon knew he did not know everything to admit this at a young age is not as common but shows Solomon did not want to make mistakes because of his youth. Solomon wanted this so he could be a good king a fair judge, Jesus is our fair judge.

Back